Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would you not recommend a Cadillac to a friend or acquaintance that is looking for a new car? If you friend was looking for an "executive" class car what would you recommend?

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
I may be out on my own here, but I -would- recommend a Cadillac. "Executive" has always been a strange definition to me, but I would sooner recommend someone buy a CTS than a 5 series or E class.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I would have no problem recommending a Cadillac.
While there are many disappointments in the Cadillac, I still would prefer it to any other offering being made today.

The only reason I would not recommend Cadillac were if they didn't have a model in the class of vehicle the person wanted, as in my own case right now.

While our local dealership is lacking the glitz of a luxury car dealership, they have always had a decent service experience in my past dealings, and assume they still do.

It is a shame they didn't use some of the money they spent on the "new" Hummer store on the same property to up-date the 1970's waiting room and showroom of Cadillac store.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
If they wanted a "new" car under 60k, I'd definitely recommend a Cadillac.

I will say we are at a bit of a "weird" point in new Cadillac models, in that the old CTS-V cars are being phased out, which was the model I almost always recommended to anybody wanting to spend standard E-class or 5 series $$$$ for their stupid 6 cylinder motors that made half the horsepower for the same $$$$. IE that CTS-V was the perfect car for those in the 50-80k price range. I know that is a big range, but honestly people of $$$ shop in that price range. The CTS-V blowed the doors off of anything in that price range, and honestly, other than a nice, smooth riding V8 E-class or one of those slick supercharged V6 A7 cars, the Germans were really outclassed for the price point and performance

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
In general, I won't recommend a car to someone I wouldn't buy myself in their position. If someone's looking for a really nice full-size SUV, I'd recommend the Escalade no problem. If they want a fast sport-touring car, the V-series cars are an excellent choice. I want neither of those types of cars, so I wouldn't buy them myself, and the balance of Cadillac's current offerings do nothing for me. But, if someone was curious, I wouldn't dissuade them, either.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
1- If he/she lives in Hawaii, absolutely not, mainly because of dealer experience. Hell, even if I knew this is going to be this stupid, I myself might have a second thought!

2- If there are good dealerships around the friend/acquaintance, I will look at what type of person is. I have an acquaintance and he was considering to buy a CTS, and actually I am happy that he didn't! He is a dumbass and I didn't want to have the same car that he has! :p

3- If there are good dealers around him/her, and if I like him/her, I will recommend Cadillac.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Yes and no I suppose, really depends on both financial situation and mechanical abilities. Let's face it these can be very expensive cars to maintain off warranty. Trying to talk a friend into one now actually as he has a very bad back and drives a Chrysler Sebring I think(rides horrible and is to small for him). He has abilities to fix anything though even if he buys used.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
I am sorry to say that I think Cadillac has finally lost me. They are no longer distinctive. They look like every other compact jelly bean on the road. I have driven them for almost 45 years, but sadly, I'm not sure I will own another.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
I am sorry to say that I think Cadillac has finally lost me. They are no longer distinctive. They look like every other compact jelly bean on the road. I have driven them for almost 45 years, but sadly, I'm not sure I will own another.
I like what they have, but I do not like it more than what they have offered in the past. For 30K, I would go find a MINT low mile 11 DTS Platinum (They exist, Dad is currently on the hunt), as opposed to an ATS. Just my preferences.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The reason I haven't bought one yet is the option structure. I can't equip a car the way I want (with magnetic ride control) without buying a lot of crap I don't want. That's the only reason I have to not get a Caddy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts