Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So even though my early days on this board were spent browsing the 80-89 Fleetwood/Brougham threads, I read about the 93-96 Fleetwoods quite a bit as well. I sort of gathered that the 93 model is somewhat less desirable than the latter years, and now that I'm looking at possibly buying one, I'm curious as to why they are shunned. I know the first year in any model's life is usually a rough one as they iron out flaws, but what particularly dragged the 93 models down, aside from the lack of the LT1?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,465 Posts
For me, the last year is usually the most refined and heavily optioned. Off the top off my head, 96 has LT1 and ODB2, and 4L60E trans.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
That really is the only thing that stops them, the LT1. Its a great motor but the LT1 is a smarter option then the L05.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Yup. It's all about the motor. LT1 cars had 80 more hp and 30 lb/ft more torque.

The L05 cars are by no means BAD, but the LT1 cars are just BETTER. Same with the B cars/wagons. Would I like an LT1 wagon? Yes. Do I think my L05 is painfully slow and the worst thing ever? No.

Bonus: TBI parts are cheaper. :p

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,465 Posts
I also think the mirrors look outta place on the 93-94. JMHO though.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
The 95-96 mirrors are definitely a big improvement....

·
Registered
1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood
529 Posts
Yea, gotta agree on the mirrors. But that's about it. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the big fuss over the LO-5 LT1 thing-never have. Of course the LT-1 is faster. But if you want to go fast, buy another car. When I want to go fast, I drive my Mustang GT convertible with the 5.0 motor. Now that is fast. My Caddy or 96 Roady? Not so much so.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
93 Fleetwoods A/C system is outdated compared to 94-96s . I exactly don't remember what it lacked but it was something like defrosting or something like this .Steering wheel is also kinda quirky compared to later models .Main course is about L05 vs LT1 but L05's parts are cheaper than it is to LT1

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
I've never heard of the AC thing.

The steering wheel is something I forgot, that is true.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Yeah, I have a '93 Fleetwood and I have quickly learned that they are the outcast because of the hard time I have had trying to sell mine. I am getting emails galore from Craigslist interests, but nothing definite yet. $2600 for a nice Fleetwood is not much, especially with 122K miles and like new interior. Sure it has some mechanical issues, but I think if mine were a 1994 with the LT1, it would have sold long ago for $2600 despite those issues. Yeah, the steering wheel in the '93 is a 2-spoke design, versus a 4-spoke design on the 94-96 models. Sometimes on certain cars people prefer a 2-spoke wheel, not on these apparently. lol. Starting in '94 they used the new 4-spoke wheel that came out on the new DeVille. Ironically, Lincoln used a 4-spoke steel wheel on the 1990-94 Town Car (also on the '89 back, but they didn't have airbags) which looked a lot like the one on the 94 Fleetwood. I prefer the 4-spoke wheel and naturally I have a '95 Town Car with the 2-spoke wheel and a '93 Fleetwood with a 2-spoke, lol. I need a 93 Town Car and a 95 Fleetwood, lol.

Oh well. Lesson learned, I don't think I will ever buy a '93 again if I am planning on reselling anytime soon. lol.

Another thing, for those interested in the '92 back Fleetwoods, they want the '92 model, which has the same engine as the '93 FWB AFAIK. I also agree, I don't know the big deal about the engines, if you want to go that fast, buy a Vette. lol. You know the earlier B-bodies, at least like the Caprice 1991-92 have the 305 engine and I am sure many would love to have upgraded to the 350 TBI. My '91 Caprice Classic sedan had the 305 and even it was not a slow car.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
I personally wouldn't be afraid of a 1993 Fleetwood if I were in the market for the 1993-96 body style. The 1993 models, as Tennessee says, have the same 350 engine as the 1990-92 Brougham - and people get all horned up over them.

I think any difficulty in selling a nice car may be attributable to the time of the year being winter. Folks tend to get spring buying fever when the weather starts to get nice. Perhaps wait a month and the market could likely change as Christmas bills are paid and tax refunds start burning holes in pockets.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Oh yeah, the '92 older Fleetwood buyers rave about the 350 TBI. lol.

Ironically, I have had several inquiries from people that have seen the car on some craigslists ads I have posted. One said he would send the cash money to my address on Tuesday ($3000), but I think that one may be spam. lol. I dont know though, he even gave me his address and its a legit address in Baltimore, but I dont know if that means anything or not. lol. There are a few others that are more legit, some that actually want to see it, so I may find it a home yet. :)

I personally wouldn't be afraid of a 1993 Fleetwood if I were in the market for the 1993-96 body style. The 1993 models, as Tennessee says, have the same 350 engine as the 1990-92 Brougham - and people get all horned up over them.

I think any difficulty in selling a nice car may be attributable to the time of the year being winter. Folks tend to get spring buying fever when the weather starts to get nice. Perhaps wait a month and the market could likely change as Christmas bills are paid and tax refunds start burning holes in pockets.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It all comes down to the engine. LT1 has more power, so unless you are getting a great deal for a 93 why not spend the same money on one that's newer and better.
It's not a problem for 1990-1992 because for those the 350 was the better engine. It's the same reason that a lot of people who are after 1990-1992s would rather have a 5.7L one over the 5L.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Sport Wagon Premium 3.6L | 94 Fleetwood Base (Gone)
317 Posts
The LT1 is the more desirable engine, sure - I'm assuming because it has the stigma of also being found in the Imps, F-bodies, and Y-bodies.. but as someone who has had the pleasure of owning an LT1 fleet, and driving my folk's 92 Roadmaster, I can say that it really is more of a stereotype. Both engines drive fantastic, they're just different. Let's face it, 99% of us aren't drag racing or autocrossing these cars.. 93's have plenty of power to putter around in. Shame others don't see it.

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, but I've owned an 89 Brougham with a lazy 307 for the past 8 years. I'm kind of tired of just putting around.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Cadillac Giovanni said:
Yeah, but I've owned an 89 Brougham with a lazy 307 for the past 8 years. I'm kind of tired of just putting around.
I put a 1987 chevy 350 (with a carb) in my 86 brougham. Its a 100% improvement from the 307 olds. It has alot more low end torque and good power. I've also driven a LT1 RMW and while the LT1 is more powerful, you will not notice it in daily driving (and with some mods (heads, cam) , the 350 will be as powerful as the LT1)

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but Kevin you are wrong.

You will notice it. :lol:

But it's still not bad.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Tennesseestorm said:
Puh, I know what you mean!! I had a 1989 Pontiac Grand Safari station wagon (like the Caprice wagon) that had the 307 and that car was sooooo slow!!!!
Indeed. 0-60 in 13 seconds and the quarter mile in 19 flat...not exactly living up to the "rocket" name.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts