Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Luxury SRX Crystal Red Tintcoat
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving my second SRX, a 2014 Luxury. And, for the second time, I'm having to deal with damage to the front end due to the low hanging rubber
baffle under the front bumper. The building in which I work has a poorly maintained parking lot plus the exit driveways are crumbling and the street
where the driveway meets it is also crumbling and has pot holes that one has to drive over while exiting. Anyway, the baffle was torn and part of it was
flapping and dragging so I took the car in to the dealership to see if they would remove the baffle or at least trim it. However, when they trimmed it
they discovered there was more damage including the bumper cover, the sensors, and the radiator support bar (they were really concerned with this as
they said it could give way and allow the radiator to drop). Repair estimate is $1683.12. Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony
271 Posts
I have the performance model with the 20" wheels and I am not experiencing the same. I guess the larger wheels help with that. I can imagine that hitting the bottom on curbs and stuff when parking is frustrating.

~Tina~

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD
70 Posts
I have the performance model with the 20" wheels and I am not experiencing the same. I guess the larger wheels help with that. I can imagine that hitting the bottom on curbs and stuff when parking is frustrating.

~Tina~
If I'm not mistaken the difference is just the size of the rim entire wheel size and ride height is still the same.

My neighbor about two blocks away have the same car and he noticed the scratch on his rubber flap as well, so he just took the entire flap off. It's there mainly for aerodynamic purpose. I asked him if there is any noticeable difference in fuel consumption and he said no. Chevy Volt owners scratch their front flap left and right so ours is actually better off hah.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
The SRX is low in front for aerodynamic and fuel saving purposes. It also has a large front overhang because of it's FWD basis.

To avoid damage to the front valence, one has to learn approach and departure angles of the vehicle (the straight on approach angle is really low on the SRX). So then one moves to an off road move to increase your angle, which is to approach from a 45* angle of approach over the tall object. This helps increase your approach angle to not wreck the lower bumper or valence.
Also, one has to STOP SHORT if nosing into parking spots with curbs. Don't wait till something hits, because it will be one's bumper.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium, Red
158 Posts
The captain is correct. The lower stance reduces wind turbulence under the vehicle helping with the overall noise reduction and fuel savings. Also be careful about totally removing that lower valance. In some vehicles it helps direct additional air up and thru the radiator, assisting in cooling as well. I do have to agree, though, switching from a traditional SUV to the SRX does require a conscious effort in realizing the ground clearance.

·
Registered
XT4 RED SPORT
2,390 Posts
... The building in which I work has a poorly maintained parking lot plus the exit driveways are crumbling and the street
where the driveway meets it is also crumbling and has pot holes that one has to drive over while exiting...
If your work's parking lot and the public street are in such bad condition I would put a notice of claim in with your City/ Town and your place of work. If they refuse to cover it you can also submit the damages to your insurance company as a last resort.

This way hopefully one or both will cover some/ all of your damage costs. :thumbsup:

*BTW: Both the 18" tires & 20" are almost identical in height.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts