Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2022 XT6 in the Spring with Super Cruise. I was very excited. I am now learning that it is not getting the same software updates as other GM Super Cruise cars, so it doesn’t have the same features (i.e. no lane change, less roads covered, etc). Nothing in the companies materials said that the XT6 had a different/inferior system. Any idea where I can more details and/or when I’ll get the same upgrades. Also, Tesla provides owners with full information on their OTA updates, but I don’t see anything from GM. Any idea if (or where) GM posts about what their OTA updates have changed/updated?

· Registered
5 Posts
I also recently bought a 2022 XT6 with Super Cruise with the expectation that it could and would be enhanced over the years via software updates. I even sought and received assurance from the Cadillac sales agents that the vehicle is equipped for upgrades. I've since learned about the limitations you've discovered. I'm hoping there's an explanation that would provide the hope that the vehicle could eventually be upgraded for these features. Perhaps vehicle models have to be tested separately and the XT6 has not gone through the process. Jim Gibson

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also recently bought a 2022 XT6 with Super Cruise with the expectation that it could and would be enhanced over the years via software updates. I even sought and received assurance from the Cadillac sales agents that the vehicle is equipped for upgrades. I've since learned about the limitations you've discovered. I'm hoping there's an explanation that would provide the hope that the vehicle could eventually be upgraded for these features. Perhaps vehicle models have to be tested separately and the XT6 has not gone through the process. Jim Gibson
Yes, it is very disappointing that GM takes a black box approach to Super Cruise. Tesla provides all of the information. Wish GM would do this.

· Premium Member
2023 CT5-V RWD / 2020 XT6 Sport / 2024 Lyriq AWD (reserved)
5,497 Posts
From what I've read, there will be OTA updates to Super Cruise 2.0 for those GM cars currently with Super Cruise 1.0. However, they are not upgradeable to Ultra Cruise.

· Registered
2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
289 Posts
XT6 and CT6 use Global A electrical architecture. All other Super Cruise equipped models use the newer Vehicle Intelligence Platform (VIP).

According to GM: “The Vehicle Intelligence Platform is capable of managing up to 4.5 terabytes of data processing power per hour, which is a fivefold increase in capability over the current Global A electrical architecture. The new architecture will be able to support active safety systems, over-the-air updates, 5G networks, enhanced cybersecurity protections and EV technologies.”

So XT6 currently does not have the processing capability to support enhanced Super Cruise.

XT6 is scheduled to receive a freshening during the 2023 calendar year. As well, it might migrate from Global A to VIP before it ends production in the 2025 calendar year.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a follow-up question on Super Cruise vis-a-vis the Global A vs VIP architecture. I'm getting more comfortable with Super-Cruise all the time, but I get nervous at times, particularly where I'm on a curve and a vehicle is next to me. I notice a drifting from right to left and back again. When you find the vehicle drifting closer to the adjacent vehicle, I feel tense when waiting for Super-Cruise to correct. So far it always has. I'm aware that human driving always does this to a degree as well, but the driver in that case is able to correct, so doesn't feel the same tension. The drifting just seems unnecessary, that Super-Cruise ideally would keep the vehicle appropriately located in the lane without the drifting. Is this drifting in any way connected to the processing limitations of the Global A architecture? Is it reasonable to assume that future XT6 upgrades would refine the software to deal more precisely with the lane centering on curves?

· Registered
289 Posts
I have a follow-up question on Super Cruise vis-a-vis the Global A vs VIP architecture. I'm getting more comfortable with Super-Cruise all the time, but I get nervous at times, particularly where I'm on a curve and a vehicle is next to me. I notice a drifting from right to left and back again. When you find the vehicle drifting closer to the adjacent vehicle, I feel tense when waiting for Super-Cruise to correct. So far it always has. I'm aware that human driving always does this to a degree as well, but the driver in that case is able to correct, so doesn't feel the same tension. The drifting just seems unnecessary, that Super-Cruise ideally would keep the vehicle appropriately located in the lane without the drifting. Is this drifting in any way connected to the processing limitations of the Global A architecture? Is it reasonable to assume that future XT6 upgrades would refine the software to deal more precisely with the lane centering on curves?
The lane positioning that you raise has been discussed publicly a few times over the past years. The enhanced Super Cruise on VIP is said to have corrected this.

As it relates to the Super Cruise on Global A, GM has only said that it will continue to receive “lighter” versions of the updates intended for VIP. What those comprise, and when they’ll roll out, remain undisclosed.

But there is some historical precedent that can be drawn from GM’s practice of offering updates for its navigation map databases. In that case GM continued to issue updates through to at least one year after the last model year of production. Following that precedent: should XT6 continue through to the 2025 calendar year, then there will at least be a Super Cruise update created in the 2026 calendar year for Global A vehicles.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see that GM has recently updated their website with a bunch of asterisks, saying the XT6 isn't getting the same upgrades. So, I looked online to see what the website said when I bought the car, which was end of March 2022. Luckily there is a website that archives websites, below is a link to the archive and to copy of the text. There was no information provided by Cadillac about the XT6 having an inferior system. I could not have imagined that the Brand New car I was buying, whose first model years was 2020, had an inferior system that would not be upgraded like other Cadillac cars. I had been waiting for the lane change upgrade, when I first decided to post on this Board, to see how long I'd have to wait. I guess that now may not be coming.

I wonder if GM watches these chat Board's and decided to update their website, which is why they just updated with the asterisks?

I also wonder if any attorney's also watch this Board who can go after GM for misleading information, because I feel duped?

Website on 3/29
INNOVATING THE FUTURE OF DRIVING. AGAIN.
Our legacy of envisioning—and creating—the way forward continues. Offered on the 2018-2020 CT6; 2021 CT4 and CT5; 2021-2022 Escalade†; 2022 XT6; and forthcoming 2023 LYRIQ†, available Super Cruise™ is the first true hands-free driving-assistance technology for compatible roads (2022 XT6 late availability). Super Cruise utilizes advanced technologies to provide the ease and convenience of hands-free driving, even while changing lanes, thanks to Lane Change on Demand, offered on select 2021-2022 Super Cruise-equipped vehicles (excludes 2022 XT6). Your commute will never be the same.

Select 2021 and 2022 Cadillac vehicles will also be eligible for Super Cruise Upgrades which will allow owners to add additional functionality like Automatic Lane Change and Trailering to their existing Super Cruise capable vehicle (if eligible). With Automatic Lane Change enabled, Super Cruise can indicate when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols. Trailering allows the driver the opportunity to pull a trailer, camper and more while driving hands-free. Your commute will never be the same.

Always pay attention while driving and when using Super Cruise. Do not use a hand-held device. Requires active Super Cruise plan or trial. Terms apply. Visit cadillac.com/supercruise for compatible roads and full details. Automatic Lane Change and Lane Change on Demand are not available while trailering.

· Registered
289 Posts
I see that GM has recently updated their website with a bunch of asterisks, saying the XT6 isn't getting the same upgrades. So, I looked online to see what the website said when I bought the car, which was end of March 2022. Luckily there is a website that archives websites, below is a link to the archive and to copy of the text. There was no information provided by Cadillac about the XT6 having an inferior system. I could not have imagined that the Brand New car I was buying, whose first model years was 2020, had an inferior system that would not be upgraded like other Cadillac cars. I had been waiting for the lane change upgrade, when I first decided to post on this Board, to see how long I'd have to wait. I guess that now may not be coming.

I wonder if GM watches these chat Board's and decided to update their website, which is why they just updated with the asterisks?

I also wonder if any attorney's also watch this Board who can go after GM for misleading information, because I feel duped?

Website on 3/29
INNOVATING THE FUTURE OF DRIVING. AGAIN.
Our legacy of envisioning—and creating—the way forward continues. Offered on the 2018-2020 CT6; 2021 CT4 and CT5; 2021-2022 Escalade†; 2022 XT6; and forthcoming 2023 LYRIQ†, available Super Cruise™ is the first true hands-free driving-assistance technology for compatible roads (2022 XT6 late availability). Super Cruise utilizes advanced technologies to provide the ease and convenience of hands-free driving, even while changing lanes, thanks to Lane Change on Demand, offered on select 2021-2022 Super Cruise-equipped vehicles (excludes 2022 XT6). Your commute will never be the same.

Select 2021 and 2022 Cadillac vehicles will also be eligible for Super Cruise Upgrades which will allow owners to add additional functionality like Automatic Lane Change and Trailering to their existing Super Cruise capable vehicle (if eligible). With Automatic Lane Change enabled, Super Cruise can indicate when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols. Trailering allows the driver the opportunity to pull a trailer, camper and more while driving hands-free. Your commute will never be the same.

Always pay attention while driving and when using Super Cruise. Do not use a hand-held device. Requires active Super Cruise plan or trial. Terms apply. Visit cadillac.com/supercruise for compatible roads and full details. Automatic Lane Change and Lane Change on Demand are not available while trailering.
Please read what you posted from the web archive.

It states in part: “…Lane Change on Demand, offered on select 2021-2022 Super Cruise-equipped vehicles (excludes 2022 XT6).”

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please read what you posted from the web archive.

It states in part: “…Lane Change on Demand, offered on select 2021-2022 Super Cruise-equipped vehicles (excludes 2022 XT6).”
Correct. And then it says "Select 2021 and 2022 Cadillac vehicles will also be eligible for Super Cruise Upgrades which will allow owners to add additional functionality like Automatic Lane Change and Trailering to their existing Super Cruise capable vehicle (if eligible). With Automatic Lane Change enabled, Super Cruise can indicate when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols. Trailering allows the driver the opportunity to pull a trailer, camper and more while driving hands-free. Your commute will never be the same." Which led me to believe that since the XT6 was not included that it would get it later.
Also, it doesn't say ANYTHING about the XT6 being built on a different and inferior platform.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have to say that I don't think GM has handled this well. It's not surprising that XT6 Super Cruise owners will be disappointed and some feeling they've been mislead. The language on the website is confusing. When in the same paragraph you're having to use multiple parenthetical notations and at the same time you're touting future upgrades, it might be time to attempt a rewrite altogether. In any event, not all prospects will thoroughly read the website. Some will rely on information from the dealership. In my case, the two individuals I dealt with at Morries Cadillac talked about Super Cruise as a single product with a uniform set of features. The vehicle feature list simply read "Super Cruise". I did do some perusing of the web and ran across something that caused concern on my part and asked for assurances that the vehicle I was equipped to handle Super Cruise upgrades. After receiving that assurance verbally, I proceeded with the purchase. Here's the text of the message I wrote:

---

Hi Jeff,

As I mentioned in your voice mail, I have some concern about the XT 6 2022 vehicle with regards to Super Cruise. The article Hands-Free Super Cruise More of the USA Thanks to GM's Expansion of Mapped Roads (motortrend.com) dated August 3, 2022 refers to something called the Vehicle Intelligence Platform (VIP) on newly released GM vehicles. If I’m interpreting the article correctly, that feature was necessary for the expansion of Super Cruise mapped roads from 100,000 to 200,000 miles and is necessary for the installation of a Q4 2022 update that will expand this even further, to roughly 400,000 miles.

It’s that “newly released GM vehicles” clause that give me pause. I have not been able to find out much on VIP, but given that the XT 6 has been out for a couple years and doesn’t appear to have changed much in that time period, and that this is a 2022 model, I’m looking for some assurance that this vehicle is based on VIP, and will be able to employ the future updates. Can you allay my concern on this front? I think it’s likely VIP is the underlying platform, but still would like some assurances to that effect.

Thank you,

Jim

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the update, but you are leaving out the whole story. The story is linked below. From it I learned that I paid $75,000+ for a car that is built on the same platform as a car that costs $25k after rebate (the Bolt). All of GM's other high priced cars a built on a different platform. I wish I would have known this when I made my purchase. What a disappointment. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/11/chevy-bolt-euv-wont-get-expanded-super-cruise-driving-coverage/ Tomko do you work for GM or their PR people?

· Registered
5 Posts
To be fair, the XT6 is a really nice vehicle. The Super Cruise limitations are disappointing, but even in its present form, it's a great feature. I am very skeptical with the declaration that the Global A platform prevents Super Cruise from adding such features as lane changing/passing. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I develop software for a living. The automatic passing might be problematic, but it strikes me that being able to hit the turn signal and have the car change lanes is very likely doable with the Global A platform. The limitation ascribed to the platform may very well just be an investment and/or marketing decision by management.

· Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
758 Posts
Thanks for the update, but you are leaving out the whole story. The story is linked below. From it I learned that I paid $75,000+ for a car that is built on the same platform as a car that costs $25k after rebate (the Bolt). All of GM's other high priced cars a built on a different platform. I wish I would have known this when I made my purchase. What a disappointment. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/11/chevy-bolt-euv-wont-get-expanded-super-cruise-driving-coverage/ Tomko do you work for GM or their PR people?
The XT6 is not related to the Bolt which has only a 102 inch wheelbase but more like an Acadia and XT5 with a 112 inch wheelbase. Super Cruise was updated as a system as well as software so older vehicles like the CT6 or XT6 can get some upgrades but don't have the processing power and additional cameras for some of the newer features like lane changes.

The article is misleading as the Bolt has no relation to the XT6 or CT6 except being made my GM.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a 2022 XT6 in the Spring, less than 9 months ago. I don't know anyone that would consider that an older vehicle. I am now learning that it is NOT getting the same software updates as other GM Super Cruise cars, so it doesn’t have the same features (i.e. no lane change, less roads covered, etc). Nothing in the companies materials when I bought the car said that the XT6 had a different/inferior system. This is unacceptable.

· Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
758 Posts
I bought a 2022 XT6 in the Spring, less than 9 months ago. I don't know anyone that would consider that an older vehicle. I am now learning that it is NOT getting the same software updates as other GM Super Cruise cars, so it doesn’t have the same features (i.e. no lane change, less roads covered, etc). Nothing in the companies materials when I bought the car said that the XT6 had a different/inferior system. This is unacceptable.
It's not that the car itself is old but it contains the what I would call the first generation Super Cruise architecture which started with the CT6 in 2017 for the 2018 model. Other models were added later. Apparently, the Super Cruise parts used in the XT6 are similar to the CT6 as mine can't be upgraded either for the lane change feature but as more roads are added, that will be updated so you will get some of those but not all. Since I'm not interested in SUV's, I don't keep up with the changes that come up so I don't know exactly when the XT6 first had Super Cruise but this report says 2022:

The 2023 XT6 will have the same Super Cruise so no difference according to Cadillac. Since the first XT6 came out in 2019 as a 2020 model, it appears that it has similar Super Cruise capabilities as the CT6 but it was not an option until 2022 for the XT6. You may have found this out with more research before buying your car but you still have a nice vehicle and a larger one compared to the XT4 and XT5.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It's not that the car itself is old but it contains the what I would call the first generation Super Cruise architecture which started with the CT6 in 2017 for the 2018 model. Other models were added later. Apparently, the Super Cruise parts used in the XT6 are similar to the CT6 as mine can't be upgraded either for the lane change feature but as more roads are added, that will be updated so you will get some of those but not all. Since I'm not interested in SUV's, I don't keep up with the changes that come up so I don't know exactly when the XT6 first had Super Cruise but this report says 2022:

The 2023 XT6 will have the same Super Cruise so no difference according to Cadillac. Since the first XT6 came out in 2019 as a 2020 model, it appears that it has similar Super Cruise capabilities as the CT6 but it was not an option until 2022 for the XT6. You may have found this out with more research before buying your car but you still have a nice vehicle and a larger one compared to the XT4 and XT5.
You comment about "more research" is ridiculous. Where would a normal customer look when the website doesn't say it is a outdated system, the manual doesn't say it is a outdated system, Onstar doesn't have any answers, the dealer didn't say it is a outdated system or have any information on super cruise and the sales material doesn't say it is a outdated system? For the price I paid, I should have got a Tesla Model Y, which would be able to update its system.

Here is an article from when I purchased my car with Super Cruise. You can see the information was false and misleading.

· Registered
758 Posts
You comment about "more research" is ridiculous. Where would a normal customer look when the website doesn't say it is a outdated system, the manual doesn't say it is a outdated system, Onstar doesn't have any answers, the dealer didn't say it is a outdated system or have any information on super cruise and the sales material doesn't say it is a outdated system? For the price I paid, I should have got a Tesla Model Y, which would be able to update its system.

Here is an article from when I purchased my car with Super Cruise. You can see the information was false and misleading.
It's not misleading as features do change as technology progresses. It's the same with computers and technology in general. If you are so unhappy with your vehicle, you should get another one like the Tesla you think is so great but is really ugly in my opinion.

· Registered
758 Posts

Read about the Tesla Y here:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts