Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just reaching out for any comments regarding why the 2020 XT6 AWD (for those vehicles so equipped) does not automatically engage. I have had many other AWD vehicles from several manufacturers, and the car operates in 2 wheel drive until AWD (or some variation of it) kicks in as soon as 1 or more wheels start to lose traction.
I am concerned my wife will not realize that she needs to manually select the AWD setting (despite my patient instruction)
when needed. Does GM make vehicles where the AWD is automatic?

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,600 Posts
I am just reaching out for any comments regarding why the 2020 XT6 AWD (for those vehicles so equipped) does not automatically engage. I have had many other AWD vehicles from several manufacturers, and the car operates in 2 wheel drive until AWD (or some variation of it) kicks in as soon as 1 or more wheels start to lose traction.
I am concerned my wife will not realize that she needs to manually select the AWD setting (despite my patient instruction)
when needed. Does GM make vehicles where the AWD is automatic?
The XTS is in AWD all the time. Why not set it to AWD and leave it there? The XT4 loaner I had stayed in whatever mode it was set.

·
Registered
2006 STS4
73 Posts
If you want AWD, put it in AWD mode and leave it.It iwll work jsut like the othervehicles you mentioned. 2WD disengages some of the AWD drivetrain to improve gas mileage. You don't have to use 2WD mode if you don't want to.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,700 Posts
Does GM make vehicles where the AWD is automatic?
Yes they do and they call it Auto AWD. Go figure.
But as the others stated, you set it and forget it (in AWD).
If I were your wife, I’d run AWD all winter and run 2wd the other 3 seasons. Myself, I’d just turn it off and on as needed.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
820 Posts
It is auto-AWD. Putting it into the AWD selection means the system is AWD ready (front-to-rear transfer is 'connected' but not actually transferring engine power). Runs almost fully FWD (100F/0R % split) but will transfer power to rear upon front slippage (up to 0F/100R). Selecting AWD does not lock it in full time AWD with a fixed power split ratio. This is not a 4x4 system in these vehicles. Placing in FWD fully disengages the front-to-rear power transfer saving a little fuel economy as the rear axle is disconnected.

The 2020+ XT6 uses the same system as the 2020+ XT5. The standard AWD system uses front/rear power vectoring (single clutch if you want to call it that). The Sport adds the more advanced Twin-clutch AWD system giving a L/R power vectoring in addition to the F/R vectoring, plus an extra Off-Road mode.

Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts