Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that many people have all sorts of problems with the 4.X Cadillac engines. I don't know why this has to be. lol.

First, 4 days after I bought the car, the serpentine belt that connects the engine broke off. The belt wasn't new, but luckily nothing was damaged.

Next, my AC sorta worked. I went over to the dealer and said, make it work better. Maybe they misunderstood me, replaced it with new stuff and blew the heck out of the old condensor. Now I spent like 300 bucks for nothing. Hot air.

I obviously have the normal "gangsta-lean" from the rear air-ride.

I also have the official high rev problem that we all come in contact with frequently.

However, now, I was comming home from the movies last night when my car started making weird noises. I turned down my radio to analyse it. I didn't need to bother. It started out by the car seeming to work more to accomplish the same ammount of power. Then all of a sudden a slight *wheeerrrrrrr* sorta noise. I come to the crest of the hill I was climbing and try to give it some gar *wheeerrrr WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*. The car sounded like some dirtbike. I immediately turned into some guys driveway and turned it off. It turns out that the connecting rod (I think) like disconnected from something. lol. So it was just floppin' around in there. We towed it to the dealer today and they're gonna look at it tomorrow. So...we'll see.

I love my 4.5. Do you? :yup:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
cruella89deville said:
I understand that many people have all sorts of problems with the 4.X Cadillac engines. I don't know why this has to be. lol.

First, 4 days after I bought the car, the serpentine belt that connects the engine broke off. The belt wasn't new, but luckily nothing was damaged.

Next, my AC sorta worked. I went over to the dealer and said, make it work better. Maybe they misunderstood me, replaced it with new stuff and blew the heck out of the old condensor. Now I spent like 300 bucks for nothing. Hot air.

I obviously have the normal "gangsta-lean" from the rear air-ride.

I also have the official high rev problem that we all come in contact with frequently.

However, now, I was comming home from the movies last night when my car started making weird noises. I turned down my radio to analyse it. I didn't need to bother. It started out by the car seeming to work more to accomplish the same ammount of power. Then all of a sudden a slight *wheeerrrrrrr* sorta noise. I come to the crest of the hill I was climbing and try to give it some gar *wheeerrrr WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*. The car sounded like some dirtbike. I immediately turned into some guys driveway and turned it off. It turns out that the connecting rod (I think) like disconnected from something. lol. So it was just floppin' around in there. We towed it to the dealer today and they're gonna look at it tomorrow. So...we'll see.

I love my 4.5. Do you? :yup:

If the car sounds somewhat like a lawmower and there is a serious lack of power, then there is a good chance there is a serious fuel restriction like a bad injector or something. The car will sound as if it is running on a lawnmower engine as stated before, or like a Honda Civic...Fire the car up without the air cleaner and see how much fuel is coming from the injectors, if any at all. Check for a disconnected or bad wire to the fuel injectors too. I am also willing to bet that there might be a fuel bank imbalance code in the trouble codes when tested...

That said, when a rod disconnects from something, you will hear a loud 'thud' as if a sledgehammer was striking a metal trashcan, followed by complete silence as the car will no longer be working. An oil puddle underneith the car will also be a dead clue to a blown bottom end.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was following a car on the highway last night and saw first hand what it looks like at the exact time a rod goes through a honda civic block. I was behind them and heard the noise, saw the sparks, and saw the 2 of 5 quarts of oil blow on my car in a fog. Now thats a detail of a rod coming loose. LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...good news finally graces my Cadillac. lol.

After a few days of it at the shop, they replaced something. It was apparently pretty cheap. Grantid, we know the dealership. We get the lowest prices possible. I guess it was a balancing shaft or something? Something that was very, VERY wrong. lol. So they either replaced that or fixed the existing one, or something, as well as disconnected my condenser. That's good becasue when my condenser blew for good, it was very loud. When I'd sit at a redlight it'd go wheeeeeeee. lol. When I'd drive by, instead of people hearing the rumble and the subs, they'd focus in on the screeching. lol. So, long story short, the car is finally working relatively well. Relatively being used losely, of course. lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts