Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
VlaDeMaN said:
Many years ago, the Empire seemed doomed to being over taken by foreign invaders. The emperor looked around and saw that these invaders were not like them. They used other ways of going forward. Since the empire was threatened by these superior beings, they decided to become like them. They became pullers, instead of pushers. Even those who were once the highest and greatest amongst them, became simple pullers.

But alas, there was another empire that also flourished in the snowy regions of the north. This empire was far superior to all the others. There was no inferiority amongst them. They continued to push. Some even became trained to pull and push. These were deemed to be amongst the most worthy of their society.

But their once loyal followers started to doubt them. "Didn't you tell us that pulling was better than pushing", they asked? "Then why do the superior others push, and some of them even push and pull?" The emperor had no words for them.

This once formidable empire has lead it's followers down the wrong path. The foreign invaders now ruled the land. The emperor, in a last act of desperation, chose to follow the pushers once again in hopes of rebuilding the empire.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Ok, the official line?

Its cheaper to build and it places the weight over the drive wheels, which increases traction in the snow. Other than that, there is no reason for it.

Why did Cadillac switch? Because they once shared their chassis with the bread and butter GM car's. For too many years, Cadillac was just the next step above Buick and/or Oldsmobile. The same car's, different body style.

GM seems to have been awakened from it's long sleep. Only time will tell though. Ford and Chrysler also once looked awakened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesnt that bring the weight (especially of a v8) to the front of the car...wayyyyy to the front, which means a less handling?

and isnt pushing better than pulling?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Front wheel drive has many inherant advantages over rear wheel drive. Unfortunately, all the automotive press tells you that anything fast has to be rear wheel drive and that's not so. The Cadillac Sevilles hustle down the road faster than many more expensive RWD imports.

You obviously have better traction in the snow, in the rain, etc. If you live in 75% of the United States, you probably deal with snow at some point during the season. This in itself isn't a reason to switch to FWD, but there are obvious advantages when the white stuff falls. Imagine this scenario -- you're trying to pull out of your neighborhood, which isn't plowed, onto a busy road that is plowed. With FWD, you just have to inch your front wheels out there and jam the throttle and you're gone. With RWD, you have to make your way all the way out into the road before your drive wheels even start to get traction! It's also much safer in the snow to the common driver. RWD in the snow is prone to severe oversteer if you're not careful. FWD is very benign in the snow and much more drivable. When that RWD guy is stuck spinning trying to make it up a hill, you can drive around him smiling.

FWD is also cheaper to produce, with fewer parts, meaning the car is less expensive to you.

It's much more fuel efficient than an "identical" RWD design. With FWD, all you're turning is the skinny half-shafts and wheels. With RWD, you're turning that long heavy propeller shaft back to the rear end, the differential, the big heavy axle shafts (they've gotta be big, because they're so much longer than FWD shafts), and the wheels. It takes more power to turn heavy equipment; this is power lost in turning the equipment versus getting your car down the road. Not to mention all the static weight of all those parts. That rear axle probably weights 400-600 pounds. That's DEAD WEIGHT that slows you down when you're trying to get going. There's a reason that a stock '96 Deville will get down the dragstrip every bit as fast as a stock '96 Impala SS -- weight and parasitic loss advantages.

The advantages are obvious. About the only place that RWD is functionally superior is in heavy-duty use (semis, pickups, etc.) and on a road course. During normal driving, modern FWD vehicles are very safe and capable performers. Don't let the marketing guys fool you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...what if you back out of your snowy driveway? :D. thnx for the replies, i got that down much better now.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
VlaDeMaN said:
...what if you back out of your snowy driveway? :D. thnx for the replies, i got that down much better now.
Trying to back out of your neighborhood onto a busy street might be a little tricky in itself, the way people drive nowadays, feeling invincible in their SUVs and AWDs. ;)

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
jadcock said:
There's a reason that a stock '96 Deville will get down the dragstrip every bit as fast as a stock '96 Impala SS -- weight and parasitic loss advantages.
Then why is it an advatage to drag race an RWD car? Even the import guys convert FWD to RWD.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
jadcock said:
It's much more fuel efficient than an "identical" RWD design.
I just went to Lexus and Infiniti. They both have RWD car's that share engines with there sister divisions FWD cars. You can compare them side by side. There is no fuel savings when you take into account the HP ratings, drag coeficient, weight and transmissions. Just more marketing hype from the FWD pitch man. But your doing a great job!

Now explain away the torque steer and I might even be compelled to buy an FWD. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I can tell you right now from experience that FWD is better in the snow. I was driving my Q, and i did a power slide around a corner in my neighborhood, and i got stuck. Fortunately, some guy came and helped me, otherwise i would have had to walk home to get the suburban.

With a FWD, i would have gotten out of that predicament in no time. I think i may retire the Q and switch back to the GTP until i can see dry pavement again.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Down with wrong wheel drive!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
FWD handles less amount of power than RWD(torque steering sucks)
RWD is better for go power because all the weight transfer back into the rear unlike FWD.
FWD is cheaper and easier to drive
On a track fwd understeers severly when pushed to the limit whereas rwd will slide around if pushed hard.
RWD will get you in more trouble but it is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
When I had the misfortune to live in Colorado a few years ago I thanked my lucky stars every time I had to drive in that miserable white stuff that my Seville had FWD. I had a Chevy and a pickup, Both with rear wheel drive and it wasn't pretty! It also gets right down the road too! A little torque steer doesn't bother me a bit. I'm with jadcock on this one gang....RWD is nice and so is FWD! They each have their place I.M.H.O.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
kcnewell said:
When I had the misfortune to live in Colorado a few years ago I thanked my lucky stars every time I had to drive in that miserable white stuff that my Seville had FWD. I had a Chevy and a pickup, Both with rear wheel drive and it wasn't pretty! It also gets right down the road too! A little torque steer doesn't bother me a bit. I'm with jadcock on this one gang....RWD is nice and so is FWD! They each have their place I.M.H.O.
well when the aftermarket performance products roll out and we all start mod'ing our cads, torque steering is going to get more apparent(our cads aren't too bad on torque steering). I had a gtp coupe(w/ smaller supercharger pulley, cai, replaced ubend, aftermarket exhaust, shift kit, replace pcm.... ran high 13s on good days low 14s on bad days) and those things put out 280lbft at 3200rpm stock and the torque steering was pretty horrible in stock.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
RWD or FWD?

I'd rather have AWD. It handles better in the snow (and wet)than FWD and handles good on the track too. (Or the back roads for those of us who like that kind of stuff.)

Anyone remember Audi's IMSA championship in the 80's using stock chassis car's spanking all the tube framed RWD V8's? That's when IMSA decided to ban AWD. The Audi's could drive up in the marbles and still keep their grip.

AWD is the next greatest thing to happen in the car industry. Watch how fast it will spread.

Oneday, we will all thank Audi and Subaru for their persistance.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
AWD in a Cadillac would be great! RWD, FWD Whatever. But AWD is really the way to go! I always thought that was a good idea.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.