Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ATS and CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2015 ATS while the radio is playing if one taps the 'app' field on the phone, the radio stops and the words 'Samsung' adisplays on CUE screen.:mad2: What causes the radio to stop playing?:confused: The phone is connected to CUE via Bluetooth so as to use in a hands-free manner.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts
The S6 is a hughely buggy phone.
I have Major issues with my S6 Edge. It sometimes disconnects from my CUE even though it still says "connected on the phone". Other times, it won't connect at all, I was having problems with Pandora too. I had to close the app on the phone, then switch to the radio on CUE then click on the Pandora App on the CUE and have the S6 automatically open it. This would work 50% of the time now, it doesn't work at all. I can't use Pandora and that pisses me off big time.

The S6 has been the worst phone I've owned in years! I had no issues when using Windows or Nexus devices.
I was always reluctant to get a Samsung phone and as soon as I tried one, its been terrible.
I'm hanging on to it because there is supposed to be an update coming that fixes a lot of issues. I'm hoping it fixes most of mine.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question, just wanted you to know I've been having the issues with the S6 as well.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
264 Posts
I'm hanging on to it because there is supposed to be an update coming that fixes a lot of issues. I'm hoping it fixes most of mine.
Hate to rain on your parade, but don't be too hopeful update will fix things. I have had, and like, Galaxy phones, but updates don't have a good track record. e.g. on the S2, Samsung update ended up making some things worse, and a lot of users reported battery life taking a hit. I waited to do the update, when others reported issues, I passed on it. Left it as is and it worked ok, then upgraded to my current S4. It keeps pestering me to update the software, but I like the way it works as is, so leaving it alone. So suggest monitoring Android forums to see how it goes for 1st updaters and then decide if you want to allow it or not.

I'm up for an upgrade next month and am considering a Windows phone. Reading forums, seems Windows phones play nicer with CUE. Besides, not too hot on S6 cause it loses 2 things I like, replaceable battery and memory expansion slot.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
this sounds like you're triggering the phone listening or an alert is trying to sound....but this is a guess

when i had my moto x if i used waze or google maps it would pick up the phone to relay directions then hang up....obviously when this happens everything gets stopped, and the radio would resume when the phone hung up

i have an iphone 6 plus now(moto x was last years) and it behaves differently it doesn't touch the phone aspect of CUE but instead can only be heard (again when navigating) if the source is set to bluetooth then it doesn't stop anything it just lowers the volume while directions are spoken ....the downside here is i can only listen to entertainment on the phone if i want to hear directions

i can't decide which method is better...with android picking up the phone i can listen to anything but sometimes things don't resume well or Apples bluetooth only method which is smooth but limits my listening sources

thankfully i have nav so i rarely use the phone maps maybe i'll use waze on occasion to get speed trap alerts

again only a guess but try playing with alerts to see if a beep is triggered when you touch the apps field and try to turn off that specific alert

also see if a listening to a voice command is being triggered and try to disable that

hope this helps

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I have some same problems with my Droid turbo. Staying connected, Pandora problems that froze my phone,Connecting to CUE sometimes says it is but it's not. So I think it isn't just your phone I think the car has a lot to do with it as well. My troubles are the same with different phone. As far as radio shutting off that sounds like the phone doing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Windows Phone 8.1, and it works flawlessly. My 2014 ATS has a dedicated virtual button available through the touchscreen which triggers Cortana and all voice commands. When a text message arrives, CUE lowers the volume of what is playing on the HD radio (or other source) and reads the message. It also prompts you to speak your reply. It works very well, and I have been quite impressed. The only thing you have to make sure of is that your bluetooth output volume on your phone is set high.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts
"I'm up for an upgrade next month and am considering a Windows phone. Reading forums, seems Windows phones play nicer with CUE. Besides, not too hot on S6 cause it loses 2 things I like, replaceable battery and memory expansion slot."

Windows phone don't have replaceable batteries or memory expansion slots either.

I absolutely LOVE windows phones! The only reason I switch is because there are a few important apps I need and use that aren't available on the windows platform.
And yes, windows works perfectly with CUE.

:D

----------

I have a S6 and I haven't have any issues with yet. Bluetooth works great for me.
It's not all S6. When I spoke to the store rep they told me they've had a few people complaining about the phone and that they were sending out replacements.
I should be receiving mine today sometime.

----------

Hate to rain on your parade, but don't be too hopeful update will fix things. I have had, and like, Galaxy phones, but updates don't have a good track record. e.g. on the S2, Samsung update ended up making some things worse, and a lot of users reported battery life taking a hit. I waited to do the update, when others reported issues, I passed on it. Left it as is and it worked ok, then upgraded to my current S4. It keeps pestering me to update the software, but I like the way it works as is, so leaving it alone. So suggest monitoring Android forums to see how it goes for 1st updaters and then decide if you want to allow it or not.

I'm up for an upgrade next month and am considering a Windows phone. Reading forums, seems Windows phones play nicer with CUE. Besides, not too hot on S6 cause it loses 2 things I like, replaceable battery and memory expansion slot.
This is what I am referring to.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/01/samsung-galaxy-s6-memory-problem/

Do you think it's BS? AM I going to have to find another phone?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
264 Posts
Windows phone don't have replaceable batteries or memory expansion slots either.
But at least they are chummy with CUE. With an S6, it might be lose, lose, lose.

This is what I am referring to.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/01/samsung-galaxy-s6-memory-problem/

Do you think it's BS? AM I going to have to find another phone?
If doing a reboot to clear out your memory helps you now, the impending fix might take care of it. If reboot is of no help, I doubt fix is going to address your issues, cause reading that article looks like it's only to take care of memory management problems. Your current S6 could be defective, post up if the replacement due today gives you joy.

----------

I have a S6 and I haven't have any issues with yet. Bluetooth works great for me.
Can you get and reply to texts thru CUE?

12,778 Posts
With 2015 ATS while the radio is playing if one taps the 'app' field on the phone, the radio stops and the words 'Samsung' adisplays on CUE screen.:mad2: What causes the radio to stop playing?:confused: The phone is connected to CUE via Bluetooth so as to use in a hands-free manner.
Hello TXDoug,

I’m really sorry to hear that your S6 isn’t getting along with the CUE system in your ATS. I would recommend reaching out to our Infotainment team to discuss the situation. The Infotainment team are our experts on the CUE can be reached at 855-428-3669 from 8am to 10pm EST, seven days a week. If they are not able to assist with the issues you are experiencing, please feel free to PM me and we can look into other possible options.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Since I didn't see anything about the OP having to keep the phone, I'll also suggest getting a Windows Phone. Among the many advantages are how well they interface with all cars. I've lost count of how many times different car brand salespeople swore their cars wouldn't be able to do this or that with any smartphone and be amazed when I showed them. Its a simple matter of following standards. Both Google Android and Apple tweak things to benefit them in obscure ways but that also cause this kind of nonsense for their customers.

It's pretty amazing how one of the "evil" companies in the past has turned completely around. Since humans also run MS, I don't think the DNA has changed, just that the competition has so out-eviled them, they took another route to differentiate themselves. LoL

So grab a Lumia 1520 (out since 2013) for a full HD 6" screen, Qi charging, 4K video taking, Carl Zeiss lensed 20MP camera, 3 day battery life, 160GB, standards compliant phone that works with whatever car you own and will even do everything a phone can do (including voice texts in and out, turn by turn navigation) with even most basic of auto BT systems.

----------

I have a '14 model so SMS is not available
Not true. I can get and send text by voice in my 2013. The problem isn't the car, but phones that aren't standards compliant or have built in roadblocks designed to modify behavior of customers and car makers. Having texts read and responses dictated using voice commands only and initiating texts using just the voice button on the wheel are quite possible not only with CUE but even in base cars without CUE. You just need the right phone, including any Windows phone from a $50 to a $950 (MSRP) model.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
264 Posts
So grab a Lumia 1520 (out since 2013) for a full HD 6" screen, Qi charging, 4K video taking, Carl Zeiss lensed 20MP camera, 3 day battery life, 160GB, standards compliant phone that works with whatever car you own and will even do everything a phone can do (including voice texts in and out, turn by turn navigation) with even most basic of auto BT systems.
And that is why I'm tempted to jump to Windows OS. If I did business in my car and text functionality was essential, it would bias me heavily to Windows. But it would just be for convenience, scratch the curiosity of what that text is instead of waiting till I get to my destination. Wife knows to call if it's important so call comes thru.

So I have to decide if giving up expansion slot, replaceable battery & Android is worth making the jump. Right now it's looking like it is. I'll have to study up on other advantages/disadvantages to going Windows, phones & apps available, etc. I'm in no hurry, can take my time to decide. Thanks for confirming it's the OS not the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
And that is why I'm tempted to jump to Windows OS. If I did business in my car and text functionality was essential, it would bias me heavily to Windows. But it would just be for convenience, scratch the curiosity of what that text is instead of waiting till I get to my destination. Wife knows to call if it's important so call comes thru.

So I have to decide if giving up expansion slot, replaceable battery & Android is worth making the jump. Right now it's looking like it is. I'll have to study up on other advantages/disadvantages to going Windows, phones & apps available, etc. I'm in no hurry, can take my time to decide. Thanks for confirming it's the OS not the car.
Pretty much all current production Windows Phones have an SD slot. And MS is fixing some of the strange stuff that Nokia did, such as batteries that require a tech to replace in some high end phones, and no front cameras in some low end phones. I wish my 1520.3 had a owner replaceable battery but since I get 3 days to a charge even when it gets older I may hold off having it replaced until it gets down to 1 day.

Since MS decided to delay a new flagship this close to W10, you might want to grab a budget phone since even budget WPs are much closer to high end than Androids in that you tend to give up luxury features more than sacrifice capabilities. Unless you are into CPU intense games or running Photoshop on the phone or looking to replace a good stand alone camera a midrange or even low end might do what you need or tide you over (or just try and see) if you don't want to buy an "older" high end. The L640s just hitting the market look pretty decent with street prices in the sub $100-$200 range depending on if you want the 5" or 5.7". T-Mobile accidentally posted a $89 price for the 5" but pulled it because they won't get them for a few more days. No Carl Zeiss and only 720HD screen but a good quad core and SD slot and replaceable battery. And 635s are under $100 but designed before MS bought them and has no front camera.

A good thing about WP is that unlike Android phone makers and Apple, MS is interested in adding owners way more than selling new phones to existing owners. So Windows phones should be updatable for 3 years minimum (e.g. MS will release WP10 for all WP8 phones). MS has committed to that. A lot of Android phone makers don't care about rolling out updates and Apple only does updates that intentionally make older phones less pleasant to use to encourage buying a new iPhone. There are starting to be a lot of WP makers entering the market so firmware updates for some are on a remains-to-be-seen basis so stick with a big name, although some like the BLUs are tempting.

The only drawback for WP I can see is some apps haven't been written for WP. That might change overnight though. MS has released software that takes Android and IoS app source code and creates a high functioning Windows app from it. The videos I've seen show equal performance to the app on its original platform. If the developer doesn't want to take advantage of WP features (such as live tiles, Cortana integration, etc.) supposedly very little has to be changed and MS claims the software even gives actionable instructions on what does need to be changed. They have used it secretly with developers and one of the most popular WP games even now in WP8 is actually a straight port of the IoS version. And with the single Windows 10 core for phones, tablets, PCs and even X-box (not to mention IoT and HoloLens), and with apps being able to run on all those platforms with layers in the OS doing the heavy lifting of formatting for various screen sizes and orientation and touch capabilities, I think its going to be very inviting for developers to double or more (in some cases) their number of downloads for very little effort. Of course Google is very worried and refuse to make any Windows Phone versions of any apps they own. So you have to use 3rd party apps for those if you use them. I'm lucky in that the only app I wish was on WP is Torque Pro. Hopefully they will jump on the chance to easily port to WP10. I completely understand them not writing one from scratch for the fewer Windows Phone users when even the number of Android users for the app is tiny.

Whoops, forgot one more app I wanted. I used a bank that gave lip service to a WP app. Got tired of waiting and moved all my banking to a competitor. I use my phone a lot more than I use my bank! So was a no brainer which to change. ;)

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
264 Posts
Might go ahead and wait to see what flagship has, I'm already waiting for W10 official release before upgrading my lappy. Hard to believe MS now seems to be so customer centric... and Google is turning into the evil empire. I too use my phone for banking, can't remember the last time I set foot in a branch. I use Chase, and bad news is it looks like I'd be SOL:

http://www.windowscentral.com/chase-bank-app-no-longer-works-windows-phone-support-now-entirely-cut

That looks to be a deal killer. I get free premium checking due to being a veteran, and get extra cash back on my Chase Freedom CC for having a Chase bank account. I like that I can set text alerts for any purchase on the card vs much higher purchase amount for alerts on other cards. Makes it easy to spot/stop fraudulent charges when scammers take a nibble. Giving all that up so I can get texts to work in the car, and the hassle of switching all my tied in accounts to another bank, isn't much of a choice. MS is going to have to work hard on banking apps acceptance cause I think I'm not the only one that is going to make that unfavorable to them calculation.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Might go ahead and wait to see what flagship has, I'm already waiting for W10 official release before upgrading my lappy. Hard to believe MS now seems to be so customer centric... and Google is turning into the evil empire. I too use my phone for banking, can't remember the last time I set foot in a branch. I use Chase, and bad news is it looks like I'd be SOL:

http://www.windowscentral.com/chase-bank-app-no-longer-works-windows-phone-support-now-entirely-cut

That looks to be a deal killer. I get free premium checking due to being a veteran, and get extra cash back on my Chase Freedom CC for having a Chase bank account. I like that I can set text alerts for any purchase on the card vs much higher purchase amount for alerts on other cards. Makes it easy to spot/stop fraudulent charges when scammers take a nibble. Giving all that up so I can get texts to work in the car, and the hassle of switching all my tied in accounts to another bank, isn't much of a choice. MS is going to have to work hard on banking apps acceptance cause I think I'm not the only one that is going to make that unfavorable to them calculation.
There are big banks with dedicated apps such as Wells Fargo and Ally and most others at least have mobile web sites. For me the two main things an app has over a web site is security and the ability to deposit checks. And the latter for me was more like wanting it just in case because I doubt I get one paper check a year. But like a fire extinguisher, I want it around even if I don't need it often.

If you read everything, you see a lot to suggest that MS paid for many bank apps several years ago. I think some of those never did any real analysis to see if it made sense to pay for apps themselves; I mean they didn't have to. Then time passes and the need for updates pile up to reflect changes to their systems and they have no in house developers, no budget and on top of that got it all for free and might even resent the gift horse now that the hay was gone. Balmer was sometimes stupid. I hope the new management doesn't make the same mistakes. There are later articles saying where those banks changed their tunes claiming the apps were just withdrawn temporarily because some govt regs made them either update or kill NOW and they had planed to do it later with W10. Which is obvious BS since no business would tell customers they just weren't important enough when they could have blamed the govt from the get go. I just hope it means they didn't like a lot of customers leaving THEM and are going to reinstate the apps (updated) and not that MS is going to build apps for them AGAIN.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Crimson Sport
178 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying. I actually have never tried doing the text read out over Bluetooth. Reason I said the 14's don't support sms function is because they added an "app" to the cue screen that shows sms. I thought that was what you were asking about. I used have this app on my LG G3 called AutoAudio that sent whatever notification I got as Bluetooth id tag data so it would show on the screen for 15sec and I could read it. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the S6. That's why I didn't mention it earlier.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Reason I said the 14's don't support sms function is because they added an "app" to the cue screen that shows sms. I thought that was what you were asking about.
Cadillac and others only have an app at all is because SOME phone makers take steps to make sure their phone won't work without an app. That buys them at least two things (at their own customer's expense). Having input to the car app gives them a opportunity at least to maybe shape how car makers do things in a way that could hurts their competition. Any time the car maker spends jumping thru their hoops is less time those car makers have to do completely unrelated things that might benefit all users (including their competition). So basically, they cost the consumer in dollar costs (the apps don't build and maintain themselves) and/or opportunity costs by diverting resources from things that actually require resources to make things better. And the comical part is the phone makers paint the car makers as the bad guys for not building apps that are not even needed. And you thought the govt was wasteful?!?

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
it doesnt matter how you put it, but android, when used properly, can do much much much more than a windows phone or an IOS. up to this point i didnt know WP had that ability to sync well with CUE. but the reason for that is because ive never even wanted to hear, speak my text messages while driving. so for that one feature, i give props to WP for being able to integrate cortana that well. so obviously it depends on the users preferences. but feature vs feature, android wins. this is not an opinion. its a fact. of course there are small issues like OPs. def unacceptable. hopefully an update fixes that. the benefit of android is if u dont like certain things, and ur tech savvy, the possibilities become endless if u root the phone. i think the s6 is too new to have a root guide yet though.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
it doesnt matter how you put it, but android, when used properly, can do much much much more than a windows phone or an IOS. up to this point i didnt know WP had that ability to sync well with CUE. but the reason for that is because ive never even wanted to hear, speak my text messages while driving. so for that one feature, i give props to WP for being able to integrate cortana that well. so obviously it depends on the users preferences. but feature vs feature, android wins. this is not an opinion. its a fact. of course there are small issues like OPs. def unacceptable. hopefully an update fixes that. the benefit of android is if u dont like certain things, and ur tech savvy, the possibilities become endless if u root the phone. i think the s6 is too new to have a root guide yet though.

Uh okay. I bow to your self confessed lack of familiarity with WP. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts