Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CTS-VVVVVVVV has the worst clunck of any Manual Tranny I have ever heard, If you are trying to drive it like a normal human ,,,,,,, Why is that??????

I mean like in traffic or a "Parade Condition"

I have had ZO6's,With Heads and Cams, SLP-Z28'sWith heads and Cams and long tubes, Regular Corvette's And I have never heard a Clunk Like this in any of them.....................................

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I hate it.:banghead:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Take a look under your V. The last time that my clunk was really bad and I mean metal on metal bad it was a worn bushing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Same here, I had the clunk real bad and it turned out to be a worn bushing. Get under the rear of the car and locate where the rear diff is bolted to the frame. Should be three bolts. Two of the bolts screw in from behind the car and all you see is a bolt head. The other one screws in from the front of the car and is actually a very long bolt and nut. It is this bolt that screws in from the front of the diff that supports the bushing. When I inspected mine it had a chunk of the rubber squeezed out. I could push upwards on the diff with my hand and see the slop. It was a $9 part from GMPD. Car drives like new again.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Some minor backlash is considered normal. Clunking is not normal. Now that everything betweend the engine and the mufflers has been replaced I don't even have backlash anymore.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, I looked at jspridges diff tonite, and he is in the 25-30* of rotation on backlash.

Checked my new diff and its about 5* rotation.

The "clunk", is why BMR and myself came up with the pinion support fixes. Then at least the housing isn't flopping around, but as the backlash grows, so does that sound.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Since I got my car back from the dealer for the fix, i get a doulbe clunk when going in traffic. It just whines all the time now at all speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts