Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '98 Deville w/ 117k mi. -- the Outside temperature gauge shows 133 degrees, when it should read below 40. And of course, if it thinks it over 100 degrees outside, the heater blows cold air unless I boost it up to 90, then it blows 'warm' air. I checked the coolant level, a bit low but shouldn't be a factor. Just started happening a couple days ago, any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
My Fleetwood does that sometimes it'll read something pretty high but after a few seconds it'll drop down to where it should be. The engine heat sometimes throws it off. Is it a go away thing or is it constant?

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
My 92 Deville will have a higher outside temp when I first turn it on but it soon goes to the correct temp after I have driven for a bit.

·
2007 DTS
2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado(retired), 1999 Deville (retired)
371 Posts
JimD hit it on the head. I had the same thing with my 99 Deville!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked for one at a couple of local auto parts stores but they don't carry it -- will have to go to the dealer's parts dept...any idea how much I should expect to pay, and is it simple to change? -- I can't find it in the service manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ranger, I found it and disconnected it for now...the heat works again and that's more important than knowing the outside temp.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
Keep in mind, that when it is disconnected, I believe the computer will substitute an default value (not sure what that is), so the climate control may not work as well as it should, though better than before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts