Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CTS, especially the new coupe, is a knockout and if it had the LS3 or L99 V8 available, it would dominate the 6-cylinder competition (335, G37, Lexus etc). But for some reason Cadillac refuses to give us the V8 except for souped-up versions in the very costly V-series. It doesn't make any sense. You can get an LS3/L99 or other potent V8s in the Camaro, the Corvette, the truck line, the G8, the GTO, etc. and those are mostly less expensive models than the CTS.

GM really needs a fast performance/luxury RWD coupe, it's a substantial gap in the lineup. As it is now, if you want to go fast and have a back seat, the Camaro is the only game in town, and while I enjoyed driving two 4th-gen Z28s, for the better part of ten years, I want something higher-level now. The only thing that is giving me hesitation on the CTS is that I don't know if I can adjust to a naturally aspirated V6 after being used to cars that can run in the mid 13s off the showroom floor.

I hope it's not because some marketing genius at Cadillac thinks that Chevy V8s are for doing donuts in a high school parking lot, or that the CTS has to be a 6-cylinder because that's what the Europeans and Japanese do.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The "very costly" V series is far less than anything else close to its competition. NOTHING from Japan comes close, and the Euro-stuff in the same league is either far more expensive, much smaller or both.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cadillac's main focus was never about going fast, you have to keep that in mind. It's about being luxury and high-tech. Speed does not equate luxury. We have no autobahn here. The actual usefulness of a V-type performance in Cadillac is slim. Most people who bought the V8 option on the cars of yore (like my 2006 STS V8 1SG) never use 10% of the performance, and that's who they're catering to. I see more people here in their 50s and 60s driving the CTS than my age, and well they don't exactly get on the gas, they could care less if it's a 3.0L, 3.6L, or 6.2L under the hood.

·
Registered
467 Posts
GM doesn't hate the V8 its a matter of logic and sales. The CAFE requires that a MFR get required fuel mileage and that wont happen with a V8 expect lots of 4 cylinders in 2013 in fact there on the way now. Buick has a 4 in the Lacrosse.

Cadillac's main focus was never about going fast, you have to keep that in mind. It's about being luxury and high-tech. Speed does not equate luxury. We have no autobahn here. The actual usefulness of a V-type performance in Cadillac is slim. Most people who bought the V8 option on the cars of yore (like my 2006 STS V8 1SG) never use 10% of the performance, and that's who they're catering to. I see more people here in their 50s and 60s driving the CTS than my age, and well they don't exactly get on the gas, they could care less if it's a 3.0L, 3.6L, or 6.2L under the hood.

·
Registered
348 Posts
GM doesn't hate the V8 its a matter of logic and sales. The CAFE requires that a MFR get required fuel mileage and that wont happen with a V8 expect lots of 4 cylinders in 2013 in fact there on the way now. Buick has a 4 in the Lacrosse.
You would think cafe would be the case, but the G8's V-8 gets 26 or 27 mpg, the same as the 3.6 DI. My guess is this goes along with Cadillac redefining itself. It's not so much looking more like BMW, and more looking less like the DTS. Cadillac is trying to get a younger crowd to buy it's cars, and a total change is necessary. I personally would like a V-8, but I think that 300 hp from a V-6 is pretty awesome. It wasn't long ago that the Corvette didn't come much more HP than we have. In reality, we are getting the same performance, the '10 STS northstar has 320 hp for comparison. You know cafe is causing a problem when the V's start getting turbo DI V-6's, or the regular CTS's getting turbo 4 bangers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cadillac is, and always has been, more about class/style/elegance than performance. The only reason the V is around is because Cadillac wanted to be defined in the same context as BMW and Mercedes with their M-series and AMG-series. Cadillac needed a contender and the V was born.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I take exception to the ridiculous statement that people in in their 50s and 60s don't "exactly get on it." I think there are many that still do. Five years ago (I still fell into the category) I took my bimmer up to 153 mph (controlled by the speed limiter on the vehicle) on the Autobahn on a couple of occasions. I played a little "nip n' tuck" on switchbacks in the Swiss Alps with an Audi A6, and cruising on the highways in Europe at 110-120 mph became as comfortable (or even more so for various reasons) as cruising at 70-80 on our interstates. Believe it or not, there are still some good roads in the U.S. that you can with relative safety "get on it," though not legally. Top end is really is not the issue with with wanting an option for a V8 though. It's the torque the engine gives for power off the line, passing, or for powering off the apex when coming out of a curve on a twisty road. Is this fun reserved for only those in their 40s or younger? I'm sure that there must be quite a few in their 40s who are now dreading their 50th birthday when they can no longer see over the steering wheel or fully reach the gas pedal. Are there laws banning guys in their 50s and 60s from tracking their cars too?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't think most people would buy a V8. I don't know what the take rate is on the 3.6, but the majority of CTSs I see have the smallest motor. I think if their research showed they would sell a lot, they would, but I don't think there is the demand. CAFE also plays a factor as it would be pointless to develop a V8 CTS to discontinue it in a couple years. By the way, a G8's V8 mileage was 15/24 (18) vs CTS V6 18/27 (21). That's 17% better mileage with the V6.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cadillac is, and always has been, more about class/style/elegance than performance. The only reason the V is around is because Cadillac wanted to be defined in the same context as BMW and Mercedes with their M-series and AMG-series. Cadillac needed a contender and the V was born.
Well, they are competing with the 528i, the 535i and and the 550i in the BMW lineup. Cadillac has its eyes on BMW and classifies the CTS as a sport sedan, if I am not mistaken. I compare to BMW because that is where I have some experience and where I come from. I believe that the CTS matches up very will with options 1, 2, and 4 (528i, 535i, and M) but has no competitor for option 3, the 550i. A smaller DI V8 could fit in nicely for folks with the interest and the $$$. Normally a car like this gets all the bells and whistles and is highly profitable for the manufacturer.

·
Cadillac Maniac
13,753 Posts
A twin turbo V6 is coming - just like the BMW 335i.. It should have around 350 horsepower. BMW lists the 335i as 306hp but it actually has a little over 330.. Since the CTS is heavier than the 335i, it should perform close to the same with the extra power. The engine can be tuned to be faster...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The 3.6L is absolute state-of-the-art at this time. Yes, twin turbos would be nice but I would like to see a more up-to-date auto' transmission, such as the dual clutch transmission, seven or eight gears.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am with you Lord Cadillac ... and with that 3.0 TT with DCT of 8 gears also make sure to bump the mileage 4 on either side ... it'd be amazing ...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Cadillac does not hate V8 engines. If it did, there wouldn't be a V.

There is a good reason for the V-series. Placing a plebian V8 between the V6s and the V-series does not make sense in the new world of higher CAFE requirements. Besides, the V-series, while expensive in an absolute sense, is an absolute bargain compared to its competition, the M5, XF-R, and E63.

The V-series is the current halo car for Cadillac. It's there for marketing purposes and for those who really desire performance. It brings people into the showrooms; the average person (no matter the age) doesn't care that much about performance, they don't notice FWD or RWD, they just notice the look and want something that feels fast and can carry the luggage and the family. The CTS does those things just fine in either V6 form. The vast majority of people will not buy a V8 car simply due to mileage.

As Lord Cadillac says above, expect a TT6 rather than a small displacement V8. This will provide adequate motivation and good gas mileage to make up for the gas-guzzling V. Thanks new CAFE regulations!

If you don't want to pay up for a V-series, buy a Pontiac G8 GT or GXP, IMHO. I almost pulled the trigger on a GXP myself! :drool:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I agree with Lord Cadillac and anonfrank. Vast majority people of the people do not care FWD v. RWD. They have no clue what the difference. They care more about look, functionality, gas mileage.
And despite what some think even 3.9l engine offers adequate performance for everyday driving. For enthusiasts there is 3.6l DI and of course the V-series.
In my opinion Cadillac needs to make sure that reliability and quality is there as these will define its future. TT engine? I think it is a good idea as you get both worlds - performance and fuel economy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not true. I would love to have a V-8 and I'm 64. The CTS-V is great but not in my budget.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts