Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Jenny. How's everyone? Peachy? Good! I'm kind of new here.

But down to business: I'm buying an eldorado in November, when I find the right deal. I'm real excited about it, even though it'll be an earlier year - I don't care which year, as long as it has the Northstar engine, that's all I care about. In fact, I get so excited, it comes up often in conversation and I get people that tell me caddy's aren't as good as people think they are. I have a chevy right now, and they compare it to that because it's GM...tards. But I figured you people would know the most about it through experience.

I'd like to know if I should be worried about what people are saying. I really think, from my reading and researching, that the northstar is top quality compared to lots of others - I read it was rated one of the top 10 best in north america, causing me to be highly optimistic, but should I be thinking twice? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Hey Jenny - Welcome to the CadillacForums! The Northstar Eldorados are great cars - I'm sure you'll be happy with one *if* you are choosy about which one you get. Basically, you want to find one in excellent condition with documentation of all routine maintenance being performed when recommended. Ideally, you should get one that has an exteneded warranty available - they are expensive to fix should anything go wrong. They are great cars to own and drive as long as they are well taken care of.

Thanks for registering. Enjoy the Board and let us know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey Jenny,
There ARE some unfortunate issues surrounding the Northstar engine, and Cadillac in general. And there ARE significant numbers of dissatisfied customers because of it. The problems seem to stem from a reluctance on GM's part to address the problems quickly and resolve them thoroughly. Hence the SAME problems have plagued the SAME cars for entirely TOO LONG. This is one BIG reason why the resale values on Cadillacs are so low. Lesson #1 never buy a brand new Cadillac. Wait a year or two and buy a "virtually" new car for damn near half price. The cars are basically nice cars but the overall quality is NOT QUITE what one would expect from the brand. On the up-side, Cadillac DOES offer a package that virtually no one else does. A FWD car that is not only one of the most "technically" advanced cars in the world but, it provides gobs of American luxury which translates to "tons o' toys" and a ride that's just this side of a La-Z-Boy.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
The eldo is a great car..... I drool whenever I see one, thats partly why I carry a towel in my car..... :D Not really.... :)

Anyway, be VERY choosey about which one you choose... Be VERY patient..... Make sure all the maintenace is good, and if it doesnt have a maintenance history AND carfax, dont buy it, unless it comes with an extended warranty..... Depending on your budget, I couldnt afford to chance a cadillac without a warranty.... Everything is just too dang expensive!!! If you can DIY, that will save a LOT of money, as a lot of jobs are more time consuming than actually HARD per se......

Just keep us informed on what you are looking at, and we should be able to tell you if its good or bad!!!

Also, if you get an eldo, you have to post pictures!!!!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Kat, if no one ever bought a NEW Caddy, they wouldn't exist, but I hear what you are saying, and it concerns depreciation. Still, there is nothing like a NEW car. (didn't you buy a new Aviator?)

I am leary of anything that was leased, they were most likely abused. The people that drive them just don't really care about the car. IMO! Personally, if I could afford a new car, that's what I would buy. You may save money buying anything used, but if it was abused, you will pay more in the end, despite how much of a discount you got. Maintenance is always the key, but unfortunately, you may never know what you are buying if it is used.

Oh yea, welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Yeah, I bought a new Aviator. But the Aviator was bought as a "company" car so used wouldn't cut it, and besides, the Aviator is new for '03 so if you want one, it's gotta be new and the Lincoln holds it's value WAY better than a Cadillac. ;)
Plus, when I said don't buy a NEW Cadillac, I meant it sure doesn't make sense from an investment stand point.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I wouldnt buy an off lease car unless I knew who owned it first (IE old people, middle aged, etc)..... Especailly after knowing what WE do to it..... Redline shifts after 2 mins of running!!!! Gotta love it!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Katshot said:
Yeah, I bought a new Aviator. But the Aviator was bought as a "company" car so used wouldn't cut it, and besides, the Aviator is new for '03 so if you want one, it's gotta be new and the Lincoln holds it's value WAY better than a Cadillac. ;)
Plus, when I said don't buy a NEW Cadillac, I meant it sure doesn't make sense from an investment stand point.
invesment?a house is an investment not a car pal, cadillacs may have some bad resale value, but dont go telling people lincolns are better, because there not... Lincoln can't even compete with Cadillac anymore, btw...any car you drive off the lot the second you buy it the value goes down so fast you wouldnt believe it! excluding ..porsche lambo...etc

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ok..... PAL.... he meant from a FINANCIAL standpoint....... And Lincolns DO hold their value better...... Cant deny that PAL.....

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
An investment is: the outlay of money usually for income or profit : capital outlay...so it's always a "financial" matter.

A house is an appreciating asset, while an automobile is a depreciating asset. I think that's what we're getting at here. Katshot was simply saying the rate of depreciation of the Lincoln is less than the rate of depreciation of the Cadillac. I don't know whether he's right or wrong on that - if anyone has some *factual* data on this issue now would be a good time to bring it up.

I'm developing a theory that Cadillac purposely manipulates the price of new and used Cadillacs so that people can get into the used ones for a very low price. Why? Well, they make their money on the new ones, and putting someone into a used Cadillac is probably the best way to create a future new Cadillac buyer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Comparison

If you want to do a resale test go to Kelly's Blue Book's web site. Enter in a Cadillac select the options you want and the condition then enter a Lincoln, same year, mileage, options, ect. and compare their values. You'll find that Katshot is correct. As the years go on in the comparison the Lincolns depreceiate at a much slower rate than the Cadillac's. I'm a huge Cadillac affectoinere but I also own a 91 Town Car and I will get better turn around in the Lincoln when it comes time to sell.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Re: Comparison

Jeez. "Pal" always has a hint of sarcasm in it these days.. Please, be nice to one another. We all mean well here. Okay? Let's not get into fights and name-calling battles.

Otherwise.. Jenny.. Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up! Take a look at the Eldorado (link) in my signature. That car had over 110,000 miles when I sold it - and the Northstar ran absolutely perfectly - I mean BRAND new. Note how the car looked brand-new as well.. It was maintained meticulously.. And it ran just as good as it looked. The engine never had a problem besides a leak which was repaired under warranty at about 95,000 miles..

If the Eldorado you're looking for has a decent amount of service records, is clean IN and OUT, and runs great - you've probably got a winner. Not to say unexpected things can't happen.. My advice? TRY to get yourself into a '95 ETC. That's the first year things really started looking best - and they stayed that way until the very end. In '96, the dash changed a bit - nothing BIG deal - but if you can get into a '96, that's even better...

Also, not saying the older models are anything to laugh-off.. My younger Brother bought a '93 or '94 and it was very, very nice...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Katshot said:
Are you stupid or sick......no lincoln holds its value better than a caddy. Hey wait a navigator does.............not!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mikethegreeat said:
invesment?a house is an investment not a car pal, cadillacs may have some bad resale value, but dont go telling people lincolns are better, because there not... Lincoln can't even compete with Cadillac anymore, btw...any car you drive off the lot the second you buy it the value goes down so fast you wouldnt believe it! excluding ..porsche lambo...etc
I can't believe people think a lincoln holds its value better. The escalade has alot better resale value than the navigator. Besides if you bought a ****ing aviator you better get your change. Oh I am so sorry, they did not tell you they are getting discontinued? Because of slow sales what
a modern day lincoln blackwood.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
They only produced about 850 Blackwoods if I remember correctly, so my guess is they will be a valuable collectable someday. Don't be so hard on Kat, we all have an opinion, and he has a lot of experience. Personally, I think the Aviator is just the right size, with good power for the weight ratio. I was disappointed to hear they will be discontinued. As for depreciation, I feel both Lincoln and Cadillac drop rapidly the first few years, then tend to hold better value after that. With Japanese or other imports, they seem to hold the first few years, THEN drop quickly in value. Over the years I've noticed this as the first section in the newspaper I read is always the "Drive Section," comparing prices, etc.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ralph.... This is a very good observation, and I agree now that you mention it......

·
Registered
377 Posts
not trying to get in the middle of somthing......but CONTINENTALS don't hold there value worth CRAP either, usually a little cheaper than a similiar sts, if not the same. Price a mark viii??? even cheaper, they go for 3-5k easy. even the second gens on those go for pretty cheap.

97 sevilles are pretty cheap, thats becuase the 98's are a new style, the price difference between a 97 and 98 is huge. like 11k to 19k. no offense to the older style owners becuase i love the pre 98's, but of course the older style is cheap, the style is outdated. 97 ETC's seem to cost a little more than 97 STS's. same with the mark viii, 97's are alot more $$$ than 96's, both are still cheap.

about the only american cars that seem to hold there values decently are pickups.

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
Ya'll should go create your fat Lincoln site... From Mr infiniti to all you Ford lovers..KMA

My Seville is the best ride I ever had and at 63. I been ridin longer than all you puppies put together. Just go make your Ass available at Ford or Nissan......BYE! May I have my Caddy site?

ljk 95 sls 139770 miles

1 - 20 of 44 Posts