Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 SRX, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary
4,121 Posts
Jake is the man. He is famous around the forums. I believe his stud repair is the most elegant/successful repair and it uses no inserts.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,307 Posts
Jim, I know Jake and certainly would not want to take any business away from him, but I think he would certainly understand when I tell you that I know of two people right here (in the Chicago suburbs) that will do the job for around $2000. Both will use Jake's studs if you wish. Contact Joe at Midwest Cadillac Repair in Palatine at 847-776-1234. He has done over 121 of them to date.

·
Registered
1996 STS 2000 Deville
307 Posts
I had my 2000 deville fixed by Jake in 2009 in Ontario..30,xxx miles later shes still running strong...worth the trip..class A guy..I would'nt want anyone else fixing my caddy...HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU..

·
Registered
my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS
188 Posts
Well, this is my first post to this site, just joined today and want to thank all the previous posters for their comments on the Northstar Head gasket issue. I own four Cadillacs at present, all bought new from the same dealer and impeccably dealer maintained. The 99 Deville Concours and the 2000 Seville STS are driven by two of my kids. The 04 Escalade is mine and the 2011 SRX is my wife's. We love all these cars, and by and large they have been good runners, but as I said well maintained too. The head gasket issue just popped up on the 00 STS and I have spent a lot of time in the last few days investigating these issues. As a 40 year tradesman I am bitterly disappointed that the issue seems to be fine thread, combined with carbon steel fasteners in an aluminum block with a corrosive coolant thrown in for good measure. Woulda coulda shoulda seems to apply. Stainless steel fasteners in the aluminum block would have been a no brainer, and the amount of thread engagement on a fine thread vs coarse thread fastener are clearly documented so why is this an issue. I fear, that it might just come down to value engineering during design phase, as everyone who has ever bought fasteners knows, stainless costs a lot more than carbon. While digging around I found Jake up in Canada and talked to man himself today and was quite impressed by what I heard. I love the stud concept for repair over anything else I have seen and was thrilled to learn that their Ontario operation is just 90 minutes outside Toronto where I have many friends. So, all things
Considered, I think I'm gonna trailer my 2000 STS up to Jake, after the first of the year, and then spend a few days with friends in Toronto while he works his magic. My cadillac dealer here in Chicago for whom I have the utmost respect quoted $5,500.00 for the job. The Blue Book trade value for the car is $5,500.00! I would love to hear from anyone who has had their Northstar repaired by Jake, but for now my mind is made up. I am not pressed to either start the repair, or get it back, as I have a spare vehicle. So again thanks for listening. As to the class action lawsuit issue, there may be grounds there, but it hard to argue that at nearly 100K miles that Cadillac owns the problem. Try to get this in front of jury where the poor sad Cadillac owner has to explain how he has been wronged by "Big Bidness" to a jury made up of people who have probably never owned a Cadillac. I'm gonna count my blessings, and lick my wounds, and go see some friends in Toronto as soon as the weather permits.
Jim,

Explain the part about Stainless working better in an aluminum block than carbon steel.

I guess coarse threads would be tougher to get consistent torques than fine threads. I've wondered why they didn't just use bigger bolts, or even steel inserts (like Norm's).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,166 Posts
Stainless steel studs and bolts in an engine (heads and rotating assemblies) is a no-no unless the material used is subjected to extreme forging pressures. Stressed "stainless steel" engine fasteners are NOT the crap you buy at the hardware store.

The statement "carbon steel fasteners in an aluminum block with corrosive coolant thrown in ......." is patently wrong - if it were true, then every automobile engine made today would fall apart. (Of course, the engineers at the world's automobile companies have never done their metallurgy homework............)

Coolant wars.........self-perpetuating. Isn't Prestone now blending a "universal" coolant - completely compatible with green, DEX-COOL, MB, and others ?? Of course, you can always try Honda coolant - it's blue ...... :sneaky:. (Let's see......mix blue coolant and yellow coolant......you get green coolant. Oh, my!)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,949 Posts
Well, this is my first post to this site, just joined today and want to thank all the previous posters for their comments on the Northstar Head gasket issue. I own four Cadillacs at present, all bought new from the same dealer and impeccably dealer maintained. The 99 Deville Concours and the 2000 Seville STS are driven by two of my kids. The 04 Escalade is mine and the 2011 SRX is my wife's. We love all these cars, and by and large they have been good runners, but as I said well maintained too. The head gasket issue just popped up on the 00 STS and I have spent a lot of time in the last few days investigating these issues. As a 40 year tradesman I am bitterly disappointed that the issue seems to be fine thread, combined with carbon steel fasteners in an aluminum block with a corrosive coolant thrown in for good measure. Woulda coulda shoulda seems to apply. Stainless steel fasteners in the aluminum block would have been a no brainer, and the amount of thread engagement on a fine thread vs coarse thread fastener are clearly documented so why is this an issue. I fear, that it might just come down to value engineering during design phase, as everyone who has ever bought fasteners knows, stainless costs a lot more than carbon. While digging around I found Jake up in Canada and talked to man himself today and was quite impressed by what I heard. I love the stud concept for repair over anything else I have seen and was thrilled to learn that their Ontario operation is just 90 minutes outside Toronto where I have many friends. So, all things
Considered, I think I'm gonna trailer my 2000 STS up to Jake, after the first of the year, and then spend a few days with friends in Toronto while he works his magic. My cadillac dealer here in Chicago for whom I have the utmost respect quoted $5,500.00 for the job. The Blue Book trade value for the car is $5,500.00! I would love to hear from anyone who has had their Northstar repaired by Jake, but for now my mind is made up. I am not pressed to either start the repair, or get it back, as I have a spare vehicle. So again thanks for listening. As to the class action lawsuit issue, there may be grounds there, but it hard to argue that at nearly 100K miles that Cadillac owns the problem. Try to get this in front of jury where the poor sad Cadillac owner has to explain how he has been wronged by "Big Bidness" to a jury made up of people who have probably never owned a Cadillac. I'm gonna count my blessings, and lick my wounds, and go see some friends in Toronto as soon as the weather permits.
Stainless steel is death to aluminum with moisture present. The aluminum sacrifices to the stainless steel. The combination is absolutely prohibited in aircraft structure unless extraordinary measures are taken to prevent corrosion. The answer in aircraft is to cadmium plate steel that is to be in contact with aluminum.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Yeah Jake is for sure the way to go on this or atleast his studs are the way to go

If you where closer to cleveland i would tell ya bring it here

I had mine doen the first time in IL at Midwest Cadillac Repair wasn great for 18k then found the block was cracked
and had to have it doen again up here closer to where i live
now 27k latter still running like a champ

·
Administrator
67,166 Posts
Stainless steel is death to aluminum with moisture present. The aluminum sacrifices to the stainless steel. The combination is absolutely prohibited in aircraft structure unless extraordinary measures are taken to prevent corrosion. The answer in aircraft is to cadmium plate steel that is to be in contact with aluminum.
Having been Master, for 11 years, of a 385 ton oceanographic research vessel made of aluminum I can verify that aluminum and s/s are a lousy combination, especially when subjected to Atlantic Ocean salt water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the information. Trying to sell my 1999 Cadillac Deville Northstar engine. I went to a 4wd vehicle. Just wanted to state my Deville has a little over 200,000 miles with no problems with head gasket. Just starting to leak a little oil when driving to the cities and back which is around 400 miles. Otherwise doesn't leak. Car runs great and always starts.

So I post to sell and a guy says, "Northstar engine, no thanks!!!" So I came out here to find what the problem was. At this point at 200,000 miles is it safe to say there isn't going to be a problem.

·
Administrator
67,166 Posts
You might want to study the stickies and threads in the Engines; Northstar forum. This Recalls forum is not the info you want.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts