Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The same reason every other carmaker on Earth doesn't recall their cars for "common problems".

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,193 Posts
1. It is not safety related.
2. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,010 Posts
Recalls originate with the NHTSA for safety issues. The only squawk that an owner would have with Cadillac is if they refused to fix it while it was still under warranty then it would be a civil dispute. You can bet that there has been more than one shyster lawyer get bit by head gasket issues and none has yet had the guts to try and sue GM over it.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
OK:

1. HGs fail on other cars. If your car lasts 5 years on the factory HGs, in all honesty that's not so bad. Most N*s are lasting 8-10 years on the originals.
2. Let's all sue GM, this way we can make sure more Americans and Canadians lose their jobs by causing GM to fall apart even sooner.
3. This is becoming common because all of these cars are reaching that age at the same time. The problem is repairable. That's the main thing.

So when should a HG fail? Never? That would be nice. But in the real world, it just doesn't always work that way. A blown HG doens't mean the car is toast, it just means that you need to get it fixed. Fix it and you'll get another 8-10 years out of the car. So even at $3500 is this really so bad, to be able to drive a Caddy for another 8-10 years?

I don't believe in suing for everything. GM did a pretty good job at designing these engines, head bolts aside.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
Im with Jake on this one, I mean when does the HG typically blow on the northstar? around 100k miles so that means for the average driver about 10 years after the vehicles purchase that's pretty damn good, I mean instead of focusing on the bad lets look at the good for a second.

We never really hear about bottom end problems with the n*,
When the motor is pulled apart you see original cylnder honing marks and the motor has an all around clean interior even after 100k+ miles of use,
The heads rarely warp or crack same goes for the block,
The motor does very well on gas considering its size,
Wonderful stock preformance,
The 4t80-e doesn't give major problems

The list goes on, so instead of b!tch!ng about how bad the head gaskets are, enjoy the car until it happens when it does roll up your sleaves and use Jakes stud kit and get some sence of accomplishment outta the deal or if your not a wrencher truck it up to Jake and have him do the work, the car will be good to go and you will get at the very least another 10 years out of it.

*steps off of soap box*
Thank you for listening to my rant.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
When does the responsibility of ownership begin?
Cadillac already gives you a better warranty than almost any other manufacturer. (at least a few years ago this was true)
So your 12 year old car with 125,000 miles on it pulls a bolt and Cadillac should pay????
There are a lot of car companies with worse head gasket issues than Cadillac I can assure you.
I used to do Chrysler 2.2 head gaskets with a lot less miles as if they were free. Ford has huge head gasket problems on some of their V8's and their techs get hosed doing the repairs.

All this class action recall crying makes me sick.
Welcome to America. Way to set an example for the world.
:lol:
No wonder all the other countries think we are jerks.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
I agree. I had a 98 Deville a couple years ago and mine went out at about 125K. Wear and tear. So I had a choice fix it or upgrade. I chose upgrade. Just like oil changes you know eventually that its gonna come. On my 3rd Caddy and I'm aware of the costs. Even though it's expensive I still feel I'm getting bang for my buck.

Hey Ewill. I stay in Dumfries. Just noticed you're in Alexandria. I got a question. I just got my car back in October and I noticed that they had 2 recalls on the 06 dts. How would I know if mine was taken in by the previous owner?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,883 Posts
Have a GM dealer run the car's VIN through the GM VIS system. You'll get a readout of all GM recall and warranty work as well as some normal service info. You might find a 1" x 2" campaign sticker or two on a conspicuous place on the engine.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
I went to the local Chevy dealer and he ran my vin. Looks like I just need to get the wiper thing done. He said only the Caddy dealer could do it so looks like I will be driving to Alexandria for that. Here's a question. Do the warranties carry over from the previous owner or once they sell it again it has to be renewed by the next owner?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
PM me the last 8 and I'll check it in the system.
Otherwise bring it by sometime for service. Our advisors run the VIN every time the car comes in for anything to make sure there are no open recalls.
If they miss it and I get the ticket I always recheck.
;)

D

·
0 Posts
Looks like y'all convinced yourselves that the HG problem is "ok" and acceptable. Good for you because you have now made the problem non-existent. It's a "normal" thing now that should be expected from cars that are 10 years old with over 60k or so miles. GM didn't screw up, all the mechanics and ex owners are wrong. Cadillac still builds fine cars!:cool:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,010 Posts
Looks like y'all convinced yourselves that the HG problem is "ok" and acceptable. Good for you because you have now made the problem non-existent. It's a "normal" thing now that should be expected from cars that are 10 years old with over 60k or so miles. GM didn't screw up, all the mechanics and ex owners are wrong. Cadillac still builds fine cars!:cool:
And Destroyer is still a sore loser.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
Yes Destroyer, bad HGs are acceptable from an aluminum engine, in my opinion, at a certain age. Stripped head bolt holes AREN'T. But it's something we have to live with and repair as necessary. It's just not right throwing the cars away because of one manufacturing defect. I can't stand to see beautiful Cadillacs go in a crusher because of a repairable problem. A $50,000 car, fixable in 2-3 days work that would be good to go for years to come, thrown away instead. That just isn't right. A lot of beautiful design work and engineering excellence went into these cars.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I don't remember saying it was "fine".
Things break, you fix them or you don't.
Pretty simple concept to me.

Are you fully responsible for everything you have ever built in your life?
(sorry, hypothetical question, not trying to make it personal, honestly)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts