Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me if I'm totally wrong here...Everyones making this huge deal about how the poor weren't able to leave NO because they didn't have money for fuel, vehicles or bus tickets. What ever happened to walking? If they wanted to leave so desperately, they could have easily walked out...Not long ago, I was stranded more than 20 miles away from the nearest signs of life due to my leaving the radio on and killing the battery in my truck. I grabbed a half gallon of water and started huffing it out...took a few hours, yes, but I made it. If they wanted to leave SO BAD, could they not have filled up a bunch of jugs with water, filled a few backpacks with food and started heading out? Where would they have gone, you might say? The same damned place they would have gone if they had had a car or a bus ticket. 48 hours warning is more than enough time to get well out of the city, far far away and to high ground where they might be much safer from floods, death and destruction. Now I'm not saying it should have come to this, but sometimes you have to get off your butt and get things done...

·
Registered
'69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine
567 Posts
Or a horse. But they could have been shot for being a horsethief.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, good...I thought maybe my thinking was a bit harsh...good to know that someone agrees with me, in some way at least.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Remember how many storms have these people been though before without anything happening.
And if the levis(sp) did not break it would been fine.
Hindsight is great

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Usually they are trying to take some valuables or family members with. My wife couldn't walk anywhere near 20 miles.Most people nowdays can't. I doubt I could quickly.

A better point is why people, even poor, have NO extra supplies and didn't fill a few plastic bottle with water. $10 worth can get you through a few days.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Here is wht I don't understand...

NO has alot of public schools.

these schools have school buses.

Those busses stayed locked up in the garage durring the storm.

WHY coudln't they take all the city school buses and move people that way?

what about NO public transportation? city buses...

just seems strange to me, I heard about the one kid who got the key for a school bus and brought like 80 people to the Astrodome.... why couldn't the city officals get the buses together?

S

·
0 Posts
Much of the blame falls squarely on Bush's shoulders for the disaster at FEMA. However, the mayor of NO does not get a free ride away from responsibility due to his own incompetence.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
airbalancer said:
Remember how many storms have these people been though before without anything happening.
And if the levis(sp) did not break it would been fine.
Hindsight is great
I'm with you on this. After being told dozens of times that they would be swept off by an oncoming hurricaine, evacuating with all their possessions, and returning to find they've dodged little more than a big thunderstorm, these people are desensitized to hurricaine warnings. I think the entire city of NO had a false sense of security hiding behind their wimpy levis.

I'm out before someone turns this into another blame Bush thread.

ETA: the problem with the people of the welfare state is they wait around for someone else to do for them, instsead of doing for themselves. These are the same people "living" in the NW AR military base, who intend to live there until the government provides another place for them to live. It seems to be too difficult to get a job and find a place to live on their own. But then, few of these people did anything more than mooch off the government before the storm....why expect anything else now?

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
A lot of the people of N.O. did not take the initiative to leave. I guess it was like the boy who cries wolf too much. After so many hurricane warnings they figured that this was another false alarm and that at most they would experience moderate rain and winds. As for the school bus idea, I believe that every mode of public transport should have been used from cabs, transit buses, school buses, and etc. If the first responders of the city were afraid to stay an help then they should have let people who cared enough to help out drive the vehicles and shuttle people to higher ground or safer venues. When people have been depending on the government for things they very well could have gotten for themselves, they will wait even in the face of death and expect a handout of some sorts and then complain when it's given. A good example is Mr. Michael Levy and his comments about burning down the city because aid arrived late.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If They Had Wanted To Leave They Could Have! Having Buses Ready Would Have Changed Nothing Because They Didn't Want To Leave In The First Place.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey! That's supposed to be in all caps. Dang, guess the mods don't like that... :D But you get the idea, I was yelling that at all you folks who don't seem to get it. And on that note, I'm out...done with this idea and this thread, cause I just don't want to think about it anymore. Have a grrreat day!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
NO isn't a small city. Walking 20 miles would hardly get you out of town much less to a safe place with shelter.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
davesdeville said:
NO isn't a small city. Walking 20 miles would hardly get you out of town much less to a safe place with shelter.
Maybe so, but 20 miles in the right direction might at least get you to higher ground where flooding is not so great a threat.

I think the point has been made here that there are those who will not take the initiative for themselves. They are depending on others to take responsibility for their sustenance and shelter. Some of them may even believe it to be owed them for some reason. :helpless:

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
I find it amazing that BEFORE the Tsunami, poor undeucated car-less villagers were able to walk to the hills and mountains and find safety BEFORE they were swallowed by a giant wave.

While we Americans, who had plenty of warning, didn't even have enough common sense to walk to the Superdome.

How can we claim be better off with our technology and education if we people who won't use it?

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
I picked up a July Newsweek that had an article on what would happen to NO if a hurricane hit, a month later it did. I've been reading this for YEARS. Environmentalist's stopped a 1965 plan and have been instrumental in stopping other changes to the levees. But they are not to blame. We shouldn't be changing thousands of square miles of wetlands and marshes to protect one city. Especially since the reason it's so far below sea level is the levees. The land drying out is the cause of the sinking.

A lot of politics, graft, and corruption involved. LA officials were already under indictment for misappropriation. Bush isn't without blame but his is pretty low on the list. Blanco and Nagin are way up there.The people of NO are part of the problem too. Some took care of themselves, many took NO care of themselves.

Being politically correct and defending looters (of anything but food) is part of the problem too. I'm glad Brown isn't defending anyone. He may have been a political appointee but he did have some management background.

Now I'm hearing that a lot of the news stories are either made up or greatly exaggerated! Gee, if I can't believe the media who can I believe?

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
zonie77 said:
..........Now I'm hearing that a lot of the news stories are either made up or greatly exaggerated! Gee, if I can't believe the media who can I believe?
There is a question that has begged an answer for many years my friend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts