Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A funny thing happened at the car wash today. I've taken my V2 to the same car wash 10-15 times since I got it. Today, I did nothing out of the unusual; left the fob in the cup holder and proceeded to the cashier with the ticket. As my car exited the automated wash, I was informed that the car was locked and would not open. I checked all door and locked it was with fob#1 in the cup holder. I called On Star and within 45 seconds, it was open. Whew...Other cars were coming out and they had to stop the wash process...

How did this happen I ask myself and you????? I was under the impression that the car would not lock with the fob inside? I do know if #2 is in the car and I leave with #1, the horn will beep three times. This was not the case though.

The mystery continues...????????????????

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
With the fob in the car, it should never lock.

Call service, take it to your dealer and have it checked out.

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Nothing is wrong with your car.

Mine did that too, but it only did it with the auto lock feature set to "shift out of park". Basically the car knows that the key is inside. The car wash guy puts the car in neutral, jumps out and closes the door. The car senses that it is going X miles per hour, does all of its other checks and assumes that a person must be inside. The car's logic basically says that if the car is moving, then the driver must be inside, and the auto lock does its thing.

Why didn't it happen the other times? If you haven't changed your settings lately, then it must be that the car achieved a slightly higher speed this time (say 3 mph) or whatever speed will cause the "shift out of park setting" to re-lock the doors after a door has been opened.

One way to prevent it is to set the auto lock to "lock at speed" or whatever the other choice is. Under this scenario, the locks only activate after reaching a higher speed. I sometimes change my setting before / after going to the car wash.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Dave

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing is wrong with your car.

Mine did that too, but it only did it with the auto lock feature set to "shift out of park". Basically the car knows that the key is inside. The car wash guy puts the car in neutral, jumps out and closes the door. The car senses that it is going X miles per hour, does all of its other checks and assumes that a person must be inside. The car's logic basically says that if the car is moving, then the driver must be inside, and the auto lock does its thing.

Why didn't it happen the other times? If you haven't changed your settings lately, then it must be that the car achieved a slightly higher speed this time (say 3 mph) or whatever speed will cause the "shift out of park setting" to re-lock the doors after a door has been opened.

One way to prevent it is to set the auto lock to "lock at speed" or whatever the other choice is. Under this scenario, the locks only activate after reaching a higher speed. I sometimes change my setting before / after going to the car wash.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Dave
Thanks Dave. That makes a lot of sense. Will make the correction. Mystery solved!!! Thanks again...

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The really mysterious thing about this is why the owner sends his car through any kind of automated car wash.
A little hot to wash it myself today!!! Also, we have a drought here in west central FL. Can not wash your car other than a do it yourself (the one close to me sucks) or a comerical carwash...

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
With regard to the questions about using automatic car washes--

Ten years ago: I'm single, no kids, no responsibilities= 2 hour wash by hand in my driveway, no problem

Now: Married, 3 kids= automatic car wash is great. I can still own the cars, but just don't have time to clean them.

I've owned other cars that could not be run through the wash, such as a 2006 M5 or 2003 Viper. They either didn't fit right or the transmission was too complex to explain.

Another thing I like about the V is that it is simple. Turn the key-like thing and put the auto transmission into D.

·
Registered
2009 FE3 CTS
92 Posts
What about the touchless auto washes? I assume the only way to get scratches is for something to rub the body? They also have the air dryer while driving out so it also usually leaves no spots without having to rub it down.

·
Registered
Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!
405 Posts
Any washing will scratch the car. However, better an automatic than nothing. In fact I read a
detailed report that showed a soft cloth auto wash, with clean water was less damaging to the
paint than hand washing.

If you have a few layers of a qualit polish or wax on your car you should be able to wash away
with out causing much damage.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Wow, never thought that the car was in neutral and moving, thus it locked. Good work.

And I use only the touchless wash if I don't have time to hadn wash. No more heavy brushes for me.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I am in NC so it probably is not as hot here as in Fl. However, I have never used temperature as an excuse for using an automated car wash.

Regarding the local ban on home car washing (really stupid when you think about it - protect the businesses who make large campaign donations, but to hell with the people who actually vote), we had a similar problem here last summer (no home car washing for several months), and the mayor and city council could not think of anything better to do than to deprive voters (but not businesses) and pray for rain. Out local water supply almost dried up. However, if your property is such that you can wash out of sight of the water police (mine is not) then the only thing you have to worry about is neighbors reporting you.

My wife and I both washed our Cads during the ban with no problems (no vindicative neighbors). She usually washed during the early morning when no self-respecting water policeman would be about. I washed one side then turned the car around and washed the other side. I would then move the car into the garage and closed the door for drying. No automated car washes were ever used.

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in NC so it probably is not as hot here as in Fl. However, I have never used temperature as an excuse for using an automated car wash.

Yea...and your probably about 30 years younger than I am! :cool:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Sorry. I am well past 65. I still wash may own car regardless of the temperature. You would have to be over 95 years old for me to be 30 years younger than you.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Sorry again, I only do my own stuff. I also mow my own lawn, which, as far as I can tell, nobody on this street except me still does.

·
Registered
2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)
580 Posts
happened to me in the stsv..dont ask me why, but i think there a some dead spots in the car,,also i put in the cup holder, closed the door with the car running and it didn't open up..how embarrassing holding up the car wash line..called onstar and they open it up right away,

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hmmmm. Maybe this sort of thing (locking the driver out) is going to happen periodically. Of course, no one would be locked out, holding up the car wash, calling OnStar, etc. if they didn't use automated car washes (or least the kind that require you to exit the car while it is still running).

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
Hmmmm. Maybe this sort of thing (locking the driver out) is going to happen periodically. Of course, no one would be locked out, holding up the car wash, calling OnStar, etc. if they didn't use automated car washes (or least the kind that require you to exit the car while it is still running).
Why leave the key in the car in the first place?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts