Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, I really need to use my ipod in my CTS, I cant take CDS, and it has no Cassete Adapter for the ipod and the FM MOdulater sucks, My friend has a Pioneer Flipscreen that is great (Touchscreen, charges the ipod and everything) I really want it but many people on this board told me it will not work, why not? Also should I just go for the Radiosandmore option? it seems like it will work but the flipscreen seems ALOT better with the touchscreen and everything. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
You can put anything you want in your CTS as long as you don't monkey with the existing original equipment. The CTS display handles all the personalizations for seating, HVAC, radio, and CD player as well as the Digital information display that includes the trip indicators, Oil Life Monitors for engine and transmission, MPG, average MPH and a whole host of other stuff that will quit working if you remove any part of it. It is a simple sounding idea that gets so far out of hand so quickly you can't believe it. It would probably be cheaper and easier to hire a band to ride along in the back seat playing requests.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
With enough time and money, anything is possible. People have put in flipscreens in the CTS and kept the factory radio. It just takes expensive custom fabrication.

Check out SDMarine's Car Domain page for an example of the Pioneer AVIC-N1 installed. wratran also did an install except it was located where up where the factory CD slot is instead of down below like SDMarine's.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Mbai's car PC is pretty awesome too...

Sounds like you are going a bit extreme just for the ipod.. .there are much cheaper/easier solutions out there.... Custom fabrication, special parts, will cost you a crapload more than the auxilary input or the radios and more kit...

Reed

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
All I would tell you is that on most modern GM cars the radio is an integrated part of a larger system. Removing the factory radios on these things can unearth all kinds of strange problems. Not the least of which is the door chime, they quit using a box under the dash years ago and another module sends a message to the radio to make the chime sound through the speakers to let you know the lights are on, the key is in the ignition and so on.

Plus as mentioned the radio has lots of information to display about the vehicle. Lots of aftermarket installers now remotely locate the factory radio in the car somewhere with a few wires hooked in, and then install an aftermarket unit in the dash. It's still not perfect even when they do that.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
there is probably an aux audio in source thats hidden somewhere but none of it would let you control the Ipod.
perhaps a boost to the fm transmitter or splic into an antenna lead.

dunno.

-KL

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We used to use something called an E&C bus. I have heard of I-pods being able to take control of a radio by using this bus.
Unfortunately in this age of technology the manufacturer of the radio and the car have decided to use the class 2 bus for radio control. As far as I know there are no aftermarket devices that can use the Class 2 data bus. This would be required for your unit to take control of the audio signal to use your I-pod's input.
On the plus side if you want to buy a new DTS there is a jack right in the front of the radio you can plug your digital music player right into!
I think this will be a growing trend with all the personal music players and the demand for people wanting to connect them. Just don't look for anything to be backdated.
Looking at the schematics I don't see any kind of auxiliary input terminals to the radio. Even though the quality is not as good maybe an FM modulator would help you keep your sanity?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts