Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another one for you guys. I got my navigation installed, got an Inifinty 6.2 disc, and I put it in and it works, but...........the arrow that is supposed to show my position when im moving, just stays in the same spot but turns circles?? At first it said I was in LA, so I changed the location via the setup, and the latitude and longitude come up with the elevation and the speed, so its working, but it seems like its not tracking in the car??? Is there a reset I need to do, or a certain button config that needs to be entered so it tracks?? Does this mean the inifinity disc doesnt work?? Im sooo
frustrated, :banghead: I tried everything I could think of. I hope its something small and someone has an answer like you gurus always have. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Registered
466 Posts
:hmm: It sounds like the VSS wire is not connected to the NAV unit. Did you connect it? If so recheck your connection and the GPS antenna connection. Check some of Tomm's post, I believe he addressed this in the past several weeks. If the system booted up, your disc is OK. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yup. What he said! Make sure the VSS pin that you inserted into the C2 connector didn't pull back out when you inserted C2 into the back of the Nav. If that doesn't do it, double check that the splice in the instrument panel harness actually pierced the insulation. That wire is tiny (28 gauge?), and may not always make contact in the splice.

Why Delphi made a Nav that only works with a VSS wire connected is beyond me. As long as your in view of satellites, the GPS alone should make it work. The digital compass and VSS are good for dead reconnng, when the GPS signal drops (like in a tunnel).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
As everyone else mentioned the VSS wire is the problem.

As for why Delphi made the system dependent on the VSS, I believe that they did this to help keep you on the map and moving when you loose the satellite signal. If you watch the signal you will see that it drops out frequently and since the NAV knows how fast you are traveling with the GPS operating you can keep going even though there is no GPS signal.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
FlyFlip420 said:
Would this still be the case even if the average mph and all other computer info is working?? So the VSS only is for navigation? Thanks again,

The power of the web is incredible when people out there help make it that way!!

Mike
Yes, When you install the navigation unit you need to tap into your speed wire so that the NAV can tell how fast you are traveling and move you along on the map.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
FlyFlip420 said:
Would this still be the case even if the average mph and all other computer info is working?? So the VSS only is for navigation? Thanks again,

The power of the web is incredible when people out there help make it that way!!

Mike
The VSS signal is sent to the instrument cluster to make the odometer, speedometer and computer calculations work. In a factory Nav car, this signal is also fed to the Nav, but is missing in factory non-nav cars. We simply feed that signal to the Nav, so it can also work using the same speed data. Why it's required for the Nav to function is a mystery to me. It seems to me that the VSS and digital compass should be used for a backup mode when GPS signal is lost. Not for a GPS based Nav to work. My company also builds high end GPS receivers, among other things, and we certainly don't need a VSS signal for a position solution.

·
Registered
155 Posts
odysseus said:
Why it's required for the Nav to function is a mystery to me. It seems to me that the VSS and digital compass should be used for a backup mode when GPS signal is lost. Not for a GPS based Nav to work. My company also builds high end GPS receivers, among other things, and we certainly don't need a VSS signal for a position solution.
The VSS does, for the most part, help when the GPS signal is lost. Compare the Caddy nav system to a "GPS-only" nav system when you're in a downtown area with high-rise buildings or when you're in a parking garage. The Caddy system (as well as most other in-vehicle systems) will "keep track" of where it is and which direction the vehicle is pointing. Many of the GPS-only systems will lose the GPS signal and lose track of the vehicle as it continues to move. The in-vehicle systems attempt to then use the other data available to continue to track the vehicle until GPS becomes available again.

But, additionally, the GPS signal is not accurate enough to always place a vehicle on the road on the navigation system. In-vehicle nav systems use the VSS, sometimes a gyro, and sometimes the transmission status to statistically come up with a best location for the vehicle. In GPS-only systems you might see the car icon (on your map) driving along side of the actual road you're on or you might see it trying to place you on a nearby road when, in fact, you're in a store parking lot, for example. The in-vehicle systems use the extra inputs they have access to in order to help with those situations. In other words, sort of a correction to the GPS-only signal.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I totally agree. What I don't agree with is Delphi's design decision that the GPS based nave quits working without a VSS signal. It should be a backup mode, not primary, or at least work in a reduce accuracy mode without VSS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
newton