Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody posted about the death of Nash and his wife a while back but I was wondering if the driver had any legal liability related to them NOT wearing seat belts. I'm guessing that would depend on the laws in the jurisdiction.

For our members who drive people professionally, are you in any way responsible for harm caused or magnified by a passenger not using their belts?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I would hope that common sense prevails and adults are responsible for their own actions. I would not be surprised if that were not the case in today's America.
If there was a case, you can bet some ambulance chaser was on it.

PS: watch 'A Beautiful Mind' and the supplemental material. His is an interesting story.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't give a damn what the law says. You're not going anywhere in my car until you buckle up.
Same here but that might cost someone a LOT of business if they are chauffeuring people for a living.

----------

I don't really care as long as you're an adult. I've even turned off the annoying bongs in the TC...
The states I looked at seemed to leave it up to adults in the rear seats. Front seat and kids seem to be driver responsibility.

I was more interested in the civil aspects. Often having broken a law makes the civil side penalties higher.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
1,299 Posts
I think an "Adult" should have the right to chose to wear one or not... It shouldn't be the states choice to tell people to wear one or not... But i wear mine just so i don't get pulled over, Otherwise i wouldn't wear it.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Unless you have a serious death wish or some other mental problem there is no logical reason for not wearing a seat belt in an automobile. If your daredevil/rebelious nature prevents you from caring about yourself, think of the anguish your death or serious injury would bring to those who care for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your daredevil/rebelious nature prevents you from caring about yourself, think of the anguish your death or serious injury would bring to those who care for you.
My relatives are constantly asking me to not use my belts.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts
You know what's funny. Is that I worked at a company that installed solar panels. Obviously we work on the roof, thus we are strapped in a fall prevention at all times while on the roof. There have been many of times when we all "quickly" went on the roof with no harness or with a harness, but not attached to a rope. So the crew lead would yell at us, he get on a rope or what not. There were plenty of times that he did it too. But what bugged the crap out of me, was that he rarely wore his seat belt in a company vehicle, as a driver or passenger. The times that he did was when I yelled at him because I got fed up with hearing that damn bong. This wasn't a problem with just that crew lead, there were other crew leads and other workers who did the same.

Yeah I know, having that potential of falling off a roof and getting into a car accident are a little different. Where there is some cushion in a car, but non when falling off of a roof.

KOT

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,803 Posts
I think an "Adult" should have the right to chose to wear one or not... It shouldn't be the states choice to tell people to wear one or not... But i wear mine just so i don't get pulled over, Otherwise i wouldn't wear it.
forgot the state laws. Simple physics should tell you to wear a seat belt. and it's not just YOU involved. It's your family, the first responders, the clean up crew, the impound lot, or to put it another way, the taxpayers who have to put out for your stupidity. Ride with a cop or an EMT for a while and take a look at what happens to an unbelted driver or passenger. you're an arrogant dumba$$.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Back in another lifetime I was an ambulance driver. One call-out an old Plymouth had got tapped on a front fender, the passenger door popped open and a woman with a baby in her lap fell out. An eighteen wheeler belly-dump loaded with gravel going the other way ground the both of them into hamburger. There were guts and parts strung down the highway for 150 feet. If they'd have been tied in with clothesline they would have been unhurt.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts
Back in another lifetime I was an ambulance driver. One call-out an old Plymouth had got tapped on a front fender, the passenger door popped open and a woman with a baby in her lap fell out. An eighteen wheeler belly-dump loaded with gravel going the other way ground the both of them into hamburger. There were guts and parts strung down the highway for 150 feet. If they'd have been tied in with clothesline they would have been unhurt.
Dare I ask... they had cars before the 1940's?

KOT

1 - 20 of 21 Posts