Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 dts
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well personally I bought it with a bad wheel bearing and brakes. so I replaced both front wheel bearings..the passenger side because of a huge pot hole with ripped the wire out of the sensor, the all four rotors and pads. the torque strut was bad, passenger side ballast went ( the whole assembly got replaced from an accident :) then bought a new driver side assembly. then I went on to replace all four shocks/ struts, coil springs and mounts. my backs were completely empty, figured I would then replace my rear wheel hubs since they were really rusty and one was a little rough, replaced the transmission output seal oh yea and the driver side half shaft because someone took off the clamp to grease it thinking that was the whine instead of replacing the hub. goofballs lol. Hmm what else, the rear valve cover was leaking so I replaced those as well as the plugs while.I was in there, had to run new lines for the rear leveling system, fixed the burnt plug on my heated.seat module. Hmm oh I also tightened up the loose bottom three bolts on my timing cover I believe that's it lol

----------

I was wondering how much money I saved doing it myself lol

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
well personally I bought it with a bad wheel bearing and brakes. so I replaced both front wheel bearings..the passenger side because of a huge pot hole with ripped the wire out of the sensor, the all four rotors and pads. the torque strut was bad, passenger side ballast went ( the whole assembly got replaced from an accident :) then bought a new driver side assembly. then I went on to replace all four shocks/ struts, coil springs and mounts. my backs were completely empty, figured I would then replace my rear wheel hubs since they were really rusty and one was a little rough, replaced the transmission output seal oh yea and the driver side half shaft because someone took off the clamp to grease it thinking that was the whine instead of replacing the hub. goofballs lol. Hmm what else, the rear valve cover was leaking so I replaced those as well as the plugs while.I was in there, had to run new lines for the rear leveling system, fixed the burnt plug on my heated.seat module. Hmm oh I also tightened up the loose bottom three bolts on my timing cover I believe that's it lol

----------

I was wondering how much money I saved doing it myself lol
Several thousand dollars...

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
My 2006 DTS is on its last year...thank God! Because of their stupid oil leaks that cost a fortune to fix I'm never buying another Northstar engine Cadillac again .
My 2006 is leaking oil worse than my 2001 Deville ever did...seriously?
My next car I'm looking at is a 2011 CTS4 with the 3.6L with 306HP fully loaded, no more "N" engines.

·
Registered
2006 dts
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where is it leaking? I love north star engines and will continue to drive them

----------

my half case is dry luckily. and o yea I forgot I replaced the control arms as well!

·
Registered
2007 DTS
225 Posts
In 49,500 Miles Lets start with the:
Motor mounts upper, lower and rear
Oxygen sensor
(2) oil sender switches
(2) control arms and Ball Joints
Rack and Pinion
Power steering Pump
Intermediate shaft
L + R Front Axles
Trans axle seal
Engine pulled for oil leaks (3) times + New engine for oil leaks +(1) ADDITIONAL time for Oil leaks (New engine with ONLY 5000 miles) Total of (4) engine Pulls or Oil Leaks We are talkin very serious money $$$$$$
(4) TPM sensors
(2) sets rotors - (last set is OEM Fix for pulsing brakes)
Sunroof Linkage replaced
Drivers side Lumbar
A/C system leak O ring replaced
(2) Headlights replaced

I am the second owner, purchased it with 28,000 miles, vehicle has never been driven in the winter or abused. If I didnt have the service records I would not believe it

I love the vehicle, however it is not designed for reliability

Total Warranty cost to GM to repair is more than I paid for the vehicle. THANK GOD FOR GMPP!

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III
130 Posts
All that i can say is if i didn't have GMPP i would have burnt this car long ago, its a sweet ride but my god does it ever break alot ive only ever owned GM's and really only will but this was not the best choice for a daily driver. I'm not hating on the car just never had a car with so many things to go wrong and have gone wrong.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
Had my halfcase seal done a long while ago I believe now that it either a oil sender leak or rear valve cover seals. Seems to be puddling a bit on my driveway towards the right center. I love this car for ride and comfort but these engines have been a mess for a long time and GM never fixes the problems properly(Bandaid solutions).

·
Registered
2008 DTS Luxury III (no longer owned)
41 Posts
You say hate Northstar engines now, and yet your profile pic is the Northstar logo. What's up with that?

I can't argue with your personal experience, but I can tell you that my father owned a 2005 Deville for 5 years and didn't have any engine problems whatsoever, which he traded last year for a 2010 DTS. My grandfather got a 2006 DTS in 2008 with no engine problems to date. I've only had my DTS for about 10 days, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the engine has had any major work done on it (60k miles).

There are plenty of success stories to be found along side the bad experiences like yours. At the same time, I don't necessarily blame you for your decision to stay away from Northstar engines from now on. My reply is not really an attempt to convince you to change your mind, but as a means of encouragement for other readers to balance your negative posts with a positive.

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
Granted, my '08 is low mileage (45,000) but I've done one oil/filter change per year, routine tire rotations. I did have that power steering line issue--losing all fluid (fortunately while idling in the driveway). But can't complain reliability wise.

·
Registered
2006 dts
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my car may sound like a lot. but I bought it for 8500 when it blue booked for 16. the previous owner had 24"s on it which killed the car. hence why my support bearing on my tranny has play. it took a lot of work restoring the damage

·
Registered
2007 DTS
225 Posts
You say hate Northstar engines now, and yet your profile pic is the Northstar logo. What's up with that?

I can't argue with your personal experience, but I can tell you that my father owned a 2005 Deville for 5 years and didn't have any engine problems whatsoever, which he traded last year for a 2010 DTS. My grandfather got a 2006 DTS in 2008 with no engine problems to date. I've only had my DTS for about 10 days, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the engine has had any major work done on it (60k miles).

There are plenty of success stories to be found along side the bad experiences like yours. At the same time, I don't necessarily blame you for your decision to stay away from Northstar engines from now on. My reply is not really an attempt to convince you to change your mind, but as a means of encouragement for other readers to balance your negative posts with a positive.
You have some good experiences as do likely most owners, but the Northstar has an extremely poor reliability record for a modern engine. Serviceability is an absolute nightmare. Take a look at my service record above. That is no coincidence. These vehicles have an atrocious resale value cause the wholesalers know about these nightmares and account for them in the prices they pay at auction. There is no shortage of people wanting to own these vehicles, just a shortage of people willing to be happy with the poor reliability once they experience it. For me I hope to keep my DTS for a decade or more, never driving it over 5K a year. With only 49K miles on the ODO since it was put on the road in late 2005 there was has been over $15,000 paid out in Warranty repairs. Negative?? Heck no...I now have a brand new vehicle that is a 2006 Model Year. Reference the great 60's song "One Piece at a Time" that's how my DTS was built! :yup:

·
Registered
2008 DTS Luxury III (no longer owned)
41 Posts
I should have clarified that my comments were directed toward DevilleDeeman. He's the one with the Northstar profile picture. I guess he must have had all his problems within the 7-8 months since he said this on 6-18-12:

257,879 km's on my 2006 DTS, no major issues yet...:cool:
So he at least made it to 160k miles before having any major problems. I would be satisfied with that, but I guess everyone has different expectations.

·
Registered
2006 dts
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now we can add a oil filter adapter gasket, which was a pain because the sub frame and front engine bracket are in the way, I also removed my door panel to eliminate a squeak, and swapped out my shifter knob

·
Registered
1977 seville,2003 dhs,2009dts
4 Posts
i have 2009 dts i just got 2 months ago i love the car it has 43,000 miles on it.i put have 2,000 miles on it runs great i also have a 2003 dhs i got 5 years ago it has 131000 miles i"ve put 70,000 miles on it runs great just basic repairs brakes ,wheel bearings,one tie rod,heater moter,starter ,the pump that runs emissions.it leaks oil, always has about a quart every 1,000 miles .

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
I have my 06 dts for 4years in those years I had put in around 140,000 miles ,2 water pump timing chain. 2 timing cover reseale the engine valve cover gasket smog pump air valve cat convertor now I have to do timing again bet tensioner bet pulley and a lot more thing. I thing I had spend over 10 grand on it.

----------

Before I forget 2 headlight bulb. And I think I may have to buy the entire headlight because the parking bulb are not working. Because of that I won't pass inpection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts