Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Fleetwood Brougham, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower sash (metal piece that attaches the window glass to the motor assembly) is somehow bent or being torqued in the middle. (In the pictures it's the rubber piece over the sash.) Too much space between the sash and the glass in the middle of the door, instead of being between the sash and the door metal.) So much so, I can't fit the weatherstripping and trim piece back in there.

I've looked at it all. Took the window out, adjusted the up and down arms, checked the screws around the motor assembly, both side channels/guides are apparently in the right spot. The other rear door is fine, and I can't find a difference between the two when I took that panel off. (I don't think it's as simple as bending the metal sash back, because I think it's BEING bent by something in the assembly/some other adjustment. Somehow the trim was on before!)

It's bent whether it's all the way lowered, or all the way up. If only there was another bolt in the middle, because it's OK on the sides of the window where the bolts are.

I've noticed it slides off the lower bumper when it hits it at the end of the downward movement. The rubber on the bumper is clipped off on the end. So it hits the bumper, then slides off the end. That could be what bent it outward, and maybe if I get a new piece and replace the rubber stop it won't bend next time?

Not too confident that would fix it, because 1) the motor arms may have been bent outward too by that movement, 2) I don't think it was bent before the project and I haven't moved the window up and down that many times, and 3) it doesn't seem like this metal would bend so easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
If I understand what you describe correctly, the lower glass support is mounted at either end by the scissor arms that raise and lower the window glass. If the glass is slipping off the lower bumper stop, the scissor mechanism continues to put stress on the window support and will bend it. Replace the lower bumper stop and window support, and adjust the scissor arm linkage so that the end of the window travel leaves it resting firmly and completely on the stop. That should correct the issue.

·
Registered
1965 Fleetwood Brougham, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thank you! So I need to figure out how to adjust the scissor arms. I don't see that anywhere in the service manual, beyond the simplest idea: "bend!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts