Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my CTS-V. There it is, for all to see, early in the post....now, that were past that...let me explain.
Ive had my CTS-V since Dec 04, my V was made in April of 04 and was one of the first off the line. It was a GM PEP car and I got a good deal on it, so I traded my 2000 STS for it and the rest was history. It was my daily driver, and I drive A LOT (35-40K miles/yr). I TRULY enjoyed my CTS-V, it was pure American Muscle wrapped in Caddy luxe. Problem was, I got mod-itis, and it didnt go as I had envisioned. (Cheffo, I feel your pain). First came the easy stuff; CAIK, Corsa, Cags!, Hotchkis bars, headrest embroidery, UUC Shifter, DRL!...that was fun, didnt make the car go much faster, but it sounded great and egged on my need for speed. My best friend had some ties to GMPP so next came the go-fast goodies (ported/polished heads, FAST90 intake, 90MM TB, Cam, headers, RT Cats) which pushed me over 400RWHP. ummmm, sweetness, and what a ride. Trouble was, now I was getting deep into mod-itis and had to do something about my rear diff which grenaded twice. I went to GM to see if they would put in a 3rd diff under wty, but alas, I was denied due to mods. I hated to concur, but I couldnt see GM warrantying a rear that was now way beyond its already underrated capacity. So, I talked with Doug, a member on this board, who was looking for a CTS-V to do a rear-end mod that would be bullet-proof. I gave my V to Doug in Jan of 07 and got it back in July. I have other cars, so it wasnt an issue...being the first try, I knew there would be issues/delays/difficulties. No problems there. I loved my new rear set-up. Especially with the soft mounted diff, it was smooth and no louder than the standard GM diff up to 75, then your fillings got jarred out due to the one piece driveshaft, which apparantly was getting near critical speed, and hence vibrating all over the place. So Doug re-engineered the driveline to be a 2 piece with super-beefy driveline parts. That solved the problem. Now I could drop the hammer at 5K on launches, plant the rear with no hop and get up to 150 without any vibration. I was elated. The poblem was finally solved....but I wasnt completely satisfied. As a result of the 2 piece swap, the diff was now solid mounted and the gear noise at 70 with the windows up, would make your ears hurt. I couldnt live with that. I suspect if I had stuck it out and gone with soft mounts, I would be better. But my V was over 70K on the clock, and I was getting deeper and deeper into the bank account. I wasnt willing to go the next step and continue the quest for the perfect rear, but I know I was close. Would soft mounting the diff be the answer? Likely. But I was ready to get back into a slushbox that was quiet, quick (not modded CTS-V quick) and more comfortable than my CTS-V. The STS-V solved that problem.
I cannot say enough about Doug and his product...It is the best solution for the CTS-V PERIOD. If you plan on having a DD CTS-V and are looking to have Doug do the rear, I encourage you to do so, but get the softer mount rear, it will cut the gear noise by 90%. I absolutlely kicked the shit out of my V in the weeks I had it before trading it...Doug will attest to this as I bent some of the attachment hardware (which he beefed up free of charge). I sidestepped my clutch at 6K, I nailed it from a roll, and not ONCE did it hop or falter...it planted, sprang and launched as it should have. Doug is a dedicated individual, and I want to thank him for his patience with me. If you choose his route, you will be handsomely rewarded....
Like they say, you gotta pay to play......Im done playing.
Ill be hanging around, so if you have any questions/comments about my experiences, let me know, I will be candid and honest as I have been here. I also have some goodies that need new homes, if anyone is interested.

1. A CTS-V rim w/brand new Avon AS550 w/scissor jack that fits in the middle of it that was my full sized spare
2. Stealth V tuned ECM
3. CTS fullsized Armrest in tan or neutral or whatever that tanish color is called
4. An extra differential (if you want a spare)
5. V embroidered front mats (Lloyds) - need cleaned, but look good.
6. Autovation Pedal kit w/dead pedal and mounting hardware
7. LS6 intake
PM me if interested, make me a good offer, you all know what this stuff costs...Im reasonable.

See you down the road....Im not goin anywhere.

Later,

F

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sad to see you go...well, your not really going...but man, you JUST got that diff in...I thought you were in for the long haul :confused: good luck with the STS...now, pics???
Pix later this afternoon... Im sad too, really am, but theres a reason for everything.

F

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
Geez Dave, never expected that... but I know you put a lot of miles on a car. The STS V is a great ride and is probably the right car for you. I have gear noise also, but really only noticable on deceleration. I'm going to try a little dynamat where the factory insulation was removed in the tunnel above the diff. Who got your car, the dealer?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez Dave, never expected that... but I know you put a lot of miles on a car. The STS V is a great ride and is probably the right car for you. I have gear noise also, but really only noticable on deceleration. I'm going to try a little dynamat where the factory insulation was removed in the tunnel above the diff. Who got your car, the dealer?
Gene, I know....it was a tough decision. The dealer got it....and I got hammered on trade in, cest la vie!

F

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a NOAH car cover that has to go as well...PM me

F

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Wow. God speed. Don't you have a wood crate in your garage filled with metal of some sort also?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. God speed. Don't you have a wood crate in your garage filled with metal of some sort also?
I do....but that is for my next Super Secret project......lets just call it "Project Sky" :thumbsup::thumbsup::bouncy:

F

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Wow didn't see this one coming.... Usually there's the obligatory "Thinking about trading my car" post beforehand.

'Grats on the new ride, and I'm looking forward to "Project Sky" :D

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Hey F,

The STS-V is no slouch, I hear. And the front end is really pretty... that's about all I can say since the front end in my mirror is all I ever get to see... :poke:

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey F,

The STS-V is no slouch, I hear. And the front end is really pretty... that's about all I can say since the front end in my mirror is all I ever get to see... :poke:
:rimshot::run:

F

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I forgot, Ive got a DRL! module that has to go as well....

F

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow didn't see this one coming.... Usually there's the obligatory "Thinking about trading my car" post beforehand.

'Grats on the new ride, and I'm looking forward to "Project Sky" :D
Ive already got 10K into it and I dont have the platform yet....YIKES!

F

BTW, I want Dildo batman.....

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
sad to see you go F. You have been a asset to the forum. I don't have any mods yet but with the knowledge you have brought to the table I can decide with ease what im going to do. Im glad that you keeped in the family and hey maybe down the road some day ((cough)) we might see you again ((cough)) 09 hmmmmm.

The other gene!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts