5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late yesterday afternoon I stopped at a car wash
that I pass daily. God-forbid, I'd never take any
car I own to a commercial car wash. I stopped
there as I purchase their tire dressing as it's a
very good one, that doesn't make the tires look
like a black wet plastic rain coat, but does make
them look like brand new, just unwrapped tires.

Anyhow, there's this beautiful 2005 Cadillac XLR
emerging from the finished end of the car wash
tunnel. I wander over to admire it. It's black
with beige leather. It has the stock wheels, but
they have been removed and chromed. The
tires have a whtestripe the width of 3 stands
of spagetti. The car is georgous beyond words.

In seconds the owner appears. He looks like a
senior in high school. We talk & get friendly for a
few minutes. I find out that he is really 20-years old,
and graduated high school 2 years ago. Politely, I
ask again if it's really his car, getting ready to
ask him if he has any idea how I could make enough
money to buy such a car in such a short time. He tells
me that his parents bought the car for him, last April,
because it's his favorite car and that he was diagonosed
with incurable bone cancer, and in a very matter-of-fact
voice almost showing that he had accepted this fate
and that he was ready to meet his maker. I was left
speechless, and felt sick to my stomach. I didn't
know what to say......I was actually sorry I ever
walked over to see it ! {I am still upset} !! !! :canttalk: :nono: :shocked: :(

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Sandy said:
I didn't
know what to say......I was actually sorry I ever
walked over to see it !
We all have an incurable desease at work in our bodies, and death will come to us all.

Some people happen to know that their death is close.

But we should all accept that today might be our last and live it accordingly.

·
5,826 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
We all have an incurable desease at work in our bodies, and death will come to us all.

But like that it's a little bit more less shocking, but still shocking none the less. Sandy, don't be upset, cause from what you said, he has come to grips with his destiny.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HotRodSaint said:

Very well said ! Good way to live each day, too.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slk230mb said:
But like that it's a little bit more less shocking, but still shocking none the less. Sandy, don't be upset, cause from what you said, he has come to grips with his destiny.
I'm still real shook. Why? I was attracted to him, because he looked similiar to my Son, Matt. A verbal description of Matt, would be no different than this young guy. I know many men age 68 and older in very, very good health. Here, this poor guy is just starting his "adult" life and his days are very numbered. I also took it badly because I AM a father. I can imagine this guys father. I don't think I could deal with it........

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Ive been going through some health concerns myself and they dont know whats wrong with me yet (I have been loosely diagnosed with Lupus though) but each day I tend to feel a little worse. I spend alot of my time thinking about that inevitable fact, even though all my friends and family always tell me Im nuts, which maybe so, but Im still determined to find out whats wrong. Being only 23, it puts a whole different spin on things.

This is the second XLR I've heard of being tied to a heart-tugging story like that. I remember Stonie talked to a guy at his Caddy dealership who brought an XLR in that had belonged to his wife who had passed away before he gave her the car I think.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Ya, I recall that XLR story, too. Don't worry. My neighbor like 10 houses away had Lupus. She got rid of it. Took her 2 to 3 years. She's okay now, I think. They moved away and I haven't seen nor heard of them since.....

·
5,826 Posts
Sandy said:
I'm still real shook. Why? I was attracted to him, because he looked similiar to my Son, Matt. A verbal description of Matt, would be no different than this young guy. I know many men age 68 and older in very, very good health. Here, this poor guy is just starting his "adult" life and his days are very numbered. I also took it badly because I AM a father. I can imagine this guys father. I don't think I could deal with it........
Forgot you have the father's view of the situation Sandy.

·
Banned
16,105 Posts
Sandy, sorry to hear it. An interesting but very sad story. That's just too young for something like that, but I guess we all "roll the dice" in this game. In my work I deal with some kids very young who are fighting cancer, etc. We have to remain strong for them as well...

Here is some Lupus advice and info Ian from one of my medical books, and it's very important to maintain your immune system in that situation, if it is that particular cause. For a while the doctors thought my fiance had Lupus and we researched it thoroughly...

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
That poor lad, its so had to hear about this kind of thing happening, i couldnt cope if it was my son, i hope i will never have to be in that position. Im a father of three, and i love them all more than anything else on the whole planet, and not one day goes by when i dont appreciate how lucky i am, Its very upsetting to hear this, imagine how Sandy feels, he actually talked to the kid.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..... and he was a REAL NICE kid. You could just see it in his eyes,
his mannerisms, his speech. A real polite, well spoken nice kid.

I felt badly as my ShOcK showed, and he said to me, "I have it under control, at least, mentally".

·
Banned
16,105 Posts
slk230mb said:
Ralph, this question may have been asked before, but what exactly do you do for a living, besides being the object of female lust for Canada's finest ladies?
Clinical Counselor/Coping Strategist/Teacher. I deal with people going through trauma/dying/family problems, etc. I also work with kids and people of all ages.

·
5,826 Posts
Ralph said:
Thanks Sandy. :suspense:

I've done some stuff part-time, (the odd job) but NOTHING anyone could make a living on. Little bit of acting. I'm part owner of a modelling agency also. Everything is part-time so I like my schedule, for now.

I knew this should have been a pm to Steve :bomb:
Just don't have any gasoline fights. :rolleyes: (Anyone who saw Zoolander gets the reference. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196229/)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts