Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
All of them
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UUC wants to make both a conventional 2 piece rotor and a floating rotor. give me some feedback as to who is interested. keep in mind the floating set up will be a little pricey, but well worth it for you guys who go to the track. below is a write up on the benefits of a 2 piece design.

Floating brake rotors and Two-piece brake rotors

As a general performance enhancement, and as an important component for a track car or racecar, an alternate brake rotor construction is a significant change.

Technically, “two-piece” rotor accurately describes a basic two-piece and a floating rotor, but the floating rotor has additional features.

The original rotors on the CTS-V are very basic, the same as the vast majority of regular production road cars. The rotor is a simple one-piece casting, comprising the disk area (the “swept area” where the brake pad is in contact) and the central portion with the mounting holes, also called the “hat”.

A two-piece rotor, as the name implies, separates the rotor into two pieces; the iron disk and an aluminum hat. The two parts are bolted together. The advantages to this kind of assembly include lighter weight (less rotational mass equals greater acceleration), less heat transfer to the wheel hub, and a sporty “race” look. Although an initial expense may be higher than a standard one-piece rotor, ongoing expenses may be equal or even less as only the disk itself needs replacing. The aluminum hat is retained.

A floating rotor is very similar to the two-piece, except the assembly hardware between disk and hat is different. Through a mechanism of specialized slotted mounting hardware, the disk itself is allowed to move independently from the hat as thermal expansion under hard braking causes it to grow. This independent movement, or “float”, allows the disk to avoid the deformation caused by a conventional one-piece rotor that changes shape as it expands due to the thermal difference between the hot disk area and the integral hat. One-piece rotors will exhibit a cupping or “potato chip” curling effect from this type of extreme heat, which results in uneven rotor and pad wear, and reduces braking efficiency. The floating rotor, whose disk expands radially without this distortion, does not suffer from these problems at all. It also inherits all of the additional benefits from the basic two-piece rotor listed above. While initial purchase cost is even higher with a floating rotor due to the added complexity of the hat and floating hardware, ongoing expenses for basic disk replacement are the same as a two-piece rotor.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
It all depends on the difference in pricing. For practical purposes, I'll be out of the market until mid-September. But I will need new rotors before my next track event. I DO want these!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
I really like this idea also. I would be interested in the floating, or regular slotted 2-piece rotors. I won't be actually in the market to buy until late this year or early next year before club racing season.

But still, awesome idea, and I hope UUC comes up with some very cool stuff for us!!!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Interested in the floaters but would be happy with the 2 piece design.

What do you think the sell price would be for either design?

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
If you are going to upgrade just the rotor, then at least do it right.

Floating is the only option.

If you can't appreciate the benifit of a floating rotor, you might as well stay stock or just get the GM Drilled Rotors.

Personally I would rather see a 6-Piston caliper upgrade like these:

Beter yet, bigger rotors with these calipers

Then we could say we upgraded.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate here. Also consider that I'm not a veteran when it comes to tracking cars in general (I've had my V to the road course 10 total days).

Are the brakes an area we really need to concentrate on right now with so many other issues outstanding? Has anyone had a problem with warping? Does the small ammount of rotating mass savings justify the cost on a fairly robust OEM part?

I'm thinking with the OEM hats, SS lines, duct coolers, shims, MOTUL600 & some agressive pads, you've got some seriously @ss kickin' brakes.

John Buttermoore, whoe races the CTS-V in SCCA T2 commented on great they are. I'd love to here his feedback on this.

I'm not trying to shoot this down or anything, I'm just looking for some justification. I know a lot of cars need some serious brake attention. I just thought our cars wasn't one of them (at least untill all theose other low hanging fruit was picked).

I'm sure whatever UUC can come up with will be a great product (love their shifter). Just rtying to get some more info.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Chris

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I would not want to upgrade and upsize calipers and rotors unless they could fit in stock wheels. I'm not going there.

I like the idea of a weight saving 2 piece. But if we could just have slotted stockers, that makes me happy, too.

But yeah, I like the stockers for their being cheap and good.

Now if UUC could make a brake ducting kit, yummy!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I supose a floating rotor kit would be a good starting point and from there, perhaps other disk sizes and/or caliper options could be developed.
If using hats designed for Stoptech disks, plenty of disk options would be available for future versions of the kit.
To start, customers would have their choice of drilled/slotted/plain disks along with plated/non-plated.

Stoptech rotors are among the cheapest and most plentifull 2 piece floating rotors.
It would make the most sense to design the hats to use those rotors.

Perhaps a caliper re-positioning bracket could be designed to allow those running 19 or 20" wheels to also run a larger rotor.
The hat design would remain the same but use a larger diameter Stoptech disk.

UUC would only need to build the hats and any required caliper brackets.
The floating-rotors and rotor-hardware could be supplied by Stoptech.

So I would be highly interested :bouncy: if hats were designed for Stoptech Floating Rotors.
From there, I could look at using different sized disks and building brackets for the Alcon Mono-6 Caliper.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
209 Posts
I'm very interested in a 2 piece or 2 piece floating rotor. I'm due for pads and rotors very soon, so it depends when they would be available by...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'd be all over this. Floating two-piece rotors would be verrr nize, along with them 6 piston calipers. Oooph! Serious ish!

Someone s'gotta buy my cross-drilled rotors, though. Was just about to send em out for cryo treatment, too. Gonna hold off on that now (also gotta wait to hear back on whether the Endless SS-M are ceramic - not recommended for cryo treated rotors).

Damn man, Luke, you and UUC whippin out some nice stuff as of late. Keep em comin. Keep em comin.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Why we want Hats for Stoptech rotors.

Why we want hats for Stoptech Rotors.

Pay special attention to the text in Bold below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For: Immediate Release Date: August 17, 2007 Contact: Jeff Ritter

Compton, California (August 17, 2007) - StopTech has been working in conjunction with Callaway to develop the ultimate brake system for Callaway’s most exclusive vehicle, the C16 Speedster. The made-to-order, 210mph C16 Speedster features a 700hp Callaway V8, custom adjustable Callaway/Eibach suspension, topless cockpit with integrated helmet holders, and a host of other new technologies. Company founder Reeves Callaway said of the car, “This is Callaway Cars’ most exquisite vehicle to date.” This dynamic new vehicle will debut on the concept lawn at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on August 18, 2007.

To drag this speeding bullet to a halt, Callaway is relying on StopTech’s new Carbon Ceramic Brake System (CCBS). Lurking behind the Callaway/Dymag Carbon wheels are 380mm (15”) rotors with six piston calipers in the front, and four piston calipers in the rear, clamping 355mm (14”) rotors. The total unsprung weight savings from the carbon/magnesium wheels and the carbon ceramic brakes is a staggering 80 pounds vs. an aluminum wheel and iron rotor set of comparable dimension, or 20 pounds per corner.

StopTech Sales Manager Jeff Ritter commented, “StopTech is thrilled to be associated with a vehicle of this stature, and with the highly regarded Callaway team. The C16 Speedster is the perfect showpiece for our latest technology, and we believe the discerning Callaway customer will truly appreciate what our innovative CCBS system brings to the overall package.”

The primary benefit of the StopTech Carbon Ceramic Brake System is a roughly 65% reduction in weight vs. a traditional gray iron rotor of the same dimension. The result is an overall vehicle weight reduction, unsprung weight reduction, and lower moments of rotational inertia. To the driver, these results translate into improved steering response, less energy required to accelerate the wheel end, and more favorable road wheel compliance. In other words, the vehicle’s ability to stop, turn, and accelerate are all favorably impacted by StopTech’s lightweight Carbon Ceramic Brake System.

The StopTech Carbon Ceramic Brake System also eclipses iron systems and competitive ceramic systems in terms of durability and longevity. Instead of using the discontinuous chopped fiber composition of competitive systems, the StopTech discs use continuous fiber construction. The long fiber structure results in greater strength, less strand ends to oxidize, and greater thermal conductivity. In summary, these rotors are lighter and last longer than anything else on the market.

All of StopTech’s four wheel brake applications using 332mm, 355mm, or 380mm rotor combinations are now available with the Carbon Ceramic rotor option. Existing StopTech customers can upgrade their iron rotor systems to Carbon Ceramic as well.

StopTech will also be introducing a limited range of Carbon Ceramic rotors through our Direct Replacement Kit program. These rotors will be produced in factory sizes to mate with the factory calipers on assorted high performance sports cars, such as the Porsche 911 and Lamborghini Gallardo.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^^ Those would be sick. Expensive, but sick!
All we need is for UUC to build us the hats w/ Stoptech's disk-bolt-pattern.
Then we are primed and ready for the Carbon-Ceramic-disks (once they finally get released).
In the mean time we just run Stoptech's cast-iorn-floating-disks.
UUC please hook us up :bouncy:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts