Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I know these vehicles are getting up there in years (newest GMT800 would be 13 years old now), I'm sure plenty of these are now in the hands of 4 and 5th owners who are beating them to death.

But recently, I've been using my Escalade to haul lots of yard gear (no towing). About 2 weeks ago, we loaded up the inside with almost 3 cubic yards of mulch (Lowes had a sale on mulch which beat having a yard deliver a truckload of the equivalent amount). Prior to that, I did a project where I needed some bags of paver sand. Off to lowes again for several hundred pounds worth of sand and paver blocks.

Got another load of 60 cubic feet of mulch to bring home. And finally yesterday, we got a few bags of top soil along with some plants.

I usually put down some plastic to keep dirt/stains from making it into the interior. I'll still need to do some carpet cleaning to get everything back to clean again.

But those Timbren bump stops prevented any rear end squat. I know I probably exceeded the GVWR (or is it GWVR?) at least one of those trips.

Then I just put the third row back in, flip up the second row, and it's like nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I also use my Escalade to haul items like bags of mulch and larger items that will not fit in my wife's Lexus RX350 crossover or my daily driver car. My wife ride is good for grocery store runs, but sometimes when need to pick larger items from Estate sales which fit perfectly in the Escalade cargo area or a u-haul trailer if it very large items that my Escalade can pull easily. The RX350 do not have a hitch installed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the hitch, but no receiver. From the looks of the hitch, I don't think it's ever been used. Which is good considering the nature of the glass internal 4L65e.

But that aux trans cooler as part of the heavy duty towing package works great. Driving on the highway a few weeks ago, the trans temp gauge never registered above 140. Highest I've ever seen it in stop and go is 190.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have the hitch, but no receiver. From the looks of the hitch, I don't think it's ever been used. Which is good considering the nature of the glass internal 4L65e.

But that aux trans cooler as part of the heavy duty towing package works great. Driving on the highway a few weeks ago, the trans temp gauge never registered above 140. Highest I've ever seen it in stop and go is 190.
Same here. My transmission fluid temps used to hit about 190-200 degrees or so in heavy traffic. My fluid now actually run much cooler(150-170 degrees or so even in heavy traffic) since I recently switched to AC/Delco full synthetic transmission Dexron VI fluid. I bought about 8 quarts for less than $60 on sale on Ebay. I used to use Castrol Dexron VI fuild which was a synthetic blend fluid. It seems that full synthetic Dexron VI really does run cooler like advertised.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I actually removed my rear third row seats for more space to move items. I also installed a rubber floor mat and cargo net.

The cargo net is the most useful part that I installed for carrying loose items in the rear like this can of paint and supplies I bought today. It also holds my jumper cable bag, warning triangles and tool kit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's comical the lack of space behind the third row in the shorter wheelbase SUVs. You lift up the hatch, and the back of the seat just about assaults you.

I tell people, if you need to tow a boat, get the SUV. If you just need to haul people and their luggage, get the Traverse/Enclave.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently tossed in 6 10ft 4x4s, and a 12ft 4x6 to build a swing set for the kids. The back glass hatch opening is awesome and I drove home with the glass up. Gave me a chance to hear that sweet Magnaflow I installed last year much better. I do agree that space is a joke behind the third row as I regret not holding out for the ESV that I originally was looking for.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It's comical the lack of space behind the third row in the shorter wheelbase SUVs. You lift up the hatch, and the back of the seat just about assaults you.

I tell people, if you need to tow a boat, get the SUV. If you just need to haul people and their luggage, get the Traverse/Enclave.
So true, hence why I just removed my useless third row seats and stored them in the basement. Unibody crossovers like the Chevy Transverse actually does have more interior room than body-on-frame SUV like the Escalade while being nearly the same size externally. The Chevy Traverse/Enclave are just mini vans without sliding side doors in my opinion.:)

Personally, if I had a large family I would just buy a optioned out mini van with a sliding door.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing to see here. Just an 8.5' long couch fully enclosed in the ESV. I had to remove the seat bottoms from the second row to get the extra 6" I needed. Removing the seat bottoms was real easy to do. Just two 10mm bolts that hold it in, and unplug a wiring harness. I don't have the space setup in my house for the sofa just yet, so I needed a place to keep the sofa safe and dry while I prepare the house.

As you can see, it just barely fits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haha, nice! That looks like the couch my grandma sold in her yard sale in 1974!

The first week I had my ESV I loaded 27 bundles of shingles in the back. It didn't take it very well! That's only about 1700 lbs! That's when I learned the leveling suspension wasn't working. I have since fixed that problem and now I regularly haul about 500-1000 lbs in or on the back axle without any problems.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We bought our '05 Escalade ESV about 5 years ago for the sole purpose of hauling things and towing our boat.
It also gets used to haul people when we have guests.
I have a 5' x 10' trailer for most of the heavy hauling, but often haul 4x8 sheets in the back.
We recently bought a house that needs many updates, so we will be working the Escalady pretty hard.
Starting to build a 4 car garage now.
She's got about 196k miles on her. Just replaced the fuel pump due to rusted lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m using my 250k ESV platinum to haul cars in fact I used it to haul my daily driver back when I bought it. In fact I am using it to haul a Lincoln this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts