Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2008 sts, 1995 Brougham V4P
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 50/45 series tires my 08 STS feels like it has either wooden or solid rubber tires, you feel every crack in the pavement. No flex in the sidewalls I guess. In order to improve the ride I was hoping someone made 14 or 15 inch wheels that would fit. This would allow a more reasonable 70/75 series tire to be used.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I don't think you can run any wheels smaller than 17" and still clear the brake calipers.

·
Registered
2008 sts, 1995 Brougham V4P
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be right about the calipers. I wonder if a 16 inch steel wheel would clear them. Even a 16 in wheel would ride better than the 17. My 86 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 DeVille, and 91 Fleetwood, all rode like Cadillacs should, nice and soft. The STS rides like an old horse drawn caridge, harsh. Even my 94 and 95 Buick Roadmonsters rode nicer.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Does the STS have runflat tires? Those things ride like an ox-cart.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,292 Posts
There is barely any space between the caliper and the wheel with the 17's so I wouldn't bank on a 16 fitting. If you currently have 18's then you could go to a 17 that should help some. And if you change to a lesser rated tire (say, go from a "Z" rated to a "V" rated, that should yield slight improvements as generally the higher speed rated tires have stiffer sidewalls).

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
I know my car with the 17" seems to have quite a lot of extra room in the fenders.. seems like some taller tires could fit in the opening.

I'm a little confused as to why you would buy a car you think rides like an "ox cart"? True it's not quite like floating on a cloud of air, but I find my STS to be quite comfortable (then again my daily driver before was a lifted Jeep cherokee..)

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Also, check to see that your air pressure is at the recommended level. Use a gage, rather than the TPMS, when the tires are cold. Over-inflated tires ride hard.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
I'm a little confused as to why you would buy a car you think rides like an "ox cart"? True it's not quite like floating on a cloud of air, but I find my STS to be quite comfortable
Me, too...why did you buy the danged thing.:crying2:

Anyway, the bolt pattern is the same from previous year Seville/Eldorado, even the '86-'91 year which have 15" wheels but I would doubt if they'd fit over the brakes. But personally, I think you are barking up the wrong tree, here. You CLEARLY bought the wrong car. There is nothing wrong with the ride for an STS...a PERFOMANCE SEDAN. :annoyed:

·
Registered
Cadillac
160 Posts
An STS is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like a fleetwood Brogugham. You purchased the WRONG car friend. You should have purchased a DTS. Have you ever driven a DTS? I recently sold mine and purchased an STS. My DTS rode like a traditional Caddy. Very soft and plush. My STS is a totally different car. Pure Sports, and I love it.

You DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE TO A SMALLER TIRE. Simply change your tires to a plush 17 inch tire. Vogue Tires are extremely plush. If vogues are too expensive, simply ask your nearest tire dealer for a very soft 17 inch tire, rated for highway cruising. Any REPUTABLE shop can help you out. Keep in mind, if you get a softer tire it will indeed SQUEAL whenever you turn sharply and drive aggressively, as they are not intended for sprots usage. I assume however, that you are looking for less sports anyways...

- Ask any reputable shop for a really soft highway tire for your Caddy...
- Truly consider a DTS as your next car. Test drive one and you willl love it.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
Since tires are one of the biggest factors in ride, this has got me thinking now..
Anyone know what the largest tire size is that will fit a 05 STS with 17" wheels? I want to get something a little taller next time around for the comfort/noise thing as well as just cosmetics (large gap between fender and tire)

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Since tires are one of the biggest factors in ride, this has got me thinking now..
Anyone know what the largest tire size is that will fit a 05 STS with 17" wheels? I want to get something a little taller next time around for the comfort/noise thing as well as just cosmetics (large gap between fender and tire)
getting a taller tire will throw off your speedo and odometer.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts