Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a 15 inch long crack in my windshield, which looks like it was made by hand because there are palm prints all over it (Chicago...:bomb:).

Would it be possible to get this crack filled, or am I better off just replacing the windshield? I'm not opposed to replacing it if I have to, but I got into an accident a few weeks ago (the crack was not caused by the accident) and I really can't afford another major car-expense right now.

Here's a few pictures of it, taken from the side because it can't be seen straight on.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Ouch. I believe the rule of thumb with resin is "smaller than a dollar bill". I had one like that and it got bigger whenever I slammed the doors.

Do I see Snoop Dogg in the sticker on your windshield? :cool2:

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Replacement is the only option on that one.

Any windshield obstruction that you can't cover with a quarter is ticketable defective equipment.

A windshield is not required by law.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently (I had to go look at it to find out) that's Daniel Burnham. But I wouldn't be surprised if Snoop Dogg was on a future Chicago city sticker (aka the "$75/year tax for having the privilege of living in this stupid town" sticker.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Apparently (I had to go look at it to find out) that's Daniel Burnham. But I wouldn't be surprised if Snoop Dogg was on a future Chicago city sticker (aka the "$75/year tax for having the privilege of living in this stupid town" sticker.
So is this only if you park on the street in Chicago?

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Ouch. I believe the rule of thumb with resin is "smaller than a dollar bill". I had one like that and it got bigger whenever I slammed the doors.

that looked like snoop doggy dog to me also for a second

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Can't be fixed. New windshield time. Insurance will cover it. Glass is a separate part of your policy.
not in all states
only a few states in the U.S require the Insurance cover Windows under a separate policy on the policy

the states that do not require it well
the insurance isnt going to offer it if they don't have to cause it will cost them money if they do
but they will cover it under your Comp Coverage
how ever is your deductible more then the window repair itself
for me my Comp Deductible is 100 right now
yes my windshield that i had replaced i could have had it done for a 100 dollars
filed a claim and had a claim on my insurance make it go up the next year so is it worth it no
im thinking of raising it back up to 250
i called safe light auto glass and i paid them 228 after taxes to come out with a new windshield and it has the rain sensor and all
they gave it to me at a good discount they where originally pricing the 2000 seville windshield at 258 so 30 bucks off
id rather pay the extra 128 out of pocket cause one claim could cause the INS policy Premimum to go up an extra 200 or more the next year

also forgot to mention
Some insurane companys will cover Glass at no extra charge
but always check these things before buying insurance becuase the only times they have to cover it is if the state requires them to
i think Progressive and state farm have a Glass Policy but not sure if anyone els covering the Ohio area does

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is this only if you park on the street in Chicago?
My car is parked on my driveway (in fact, the damage occurred on the driveway while I was out with my parents), however, if you have a Chicago address and no city sticker they can ticket you anytime you take the car out on the street.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
What the f*ck?

That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What the f*ck?

That's ridiculous.
And the ticket for not having one is $120. I've even heard of people who don't live in Chicago getting written up for having no city sticker.

Thankfully I'll be attending Texas A&M in the fall, so Chicago will just be a bad memory.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Welcome to the good life of a university. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
I've even heard of people who don't live in Chicago getting written up for having no city sticker.
Sometimes the cop is too lazy to run the plate and find out that the car does not reside in Chicago. All they have to do is send in the ticket with no payment and a letter stating where they live. Case closed.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Sometimes the cop is too lazy to run the plate and find out that the car does not reside in Chicago. All they have to do is send in the ticket with no payment and a letter stating where they live. Case closed.
i have doen this with NYC a few times
they don't run anything id say about 90% of the time they don't eve care if its an out of state plate
they figure some ppl are dumb and just send in payment fine and all
jerks

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
not in all states
only a few states in the U.S require the Insurance cover Windows under a separate policy on the policy

the states that do not require it well
the insurance isnt going to offer it if they don't have to cause it will cost them money if they do
but they will cover it under your Comp Coverage
how ever is your deductible more then the window repair itself
for me my Comp Deductible is 100 right now
yes my windshield that i had replaced i could have had it done for a 100 dollars
filed a claim and had a claim on my insurance make it go up the next year so is it worth it no
im thinking of raising it back up to 250
i called safe light auto glass and i paid them 228 after taxes to come out with a new windshield and it has the rain sensor and all
they gave it to me at a good discount they where originally pricing the 2000 seville windshield at 258 so 30 bucks off
id rather pay the extra 128 out of pocket cause one claim could cause the INS policy Premimum to go up an extra 200 or more the next year

also forgot to mention
Some insurane companys will cover Glass at no extra charge
but always check these things before buying insurance becuase the only times they have to cover it is if the state requires them to
i think Progressive and state farm have a Glass Policy but not sure if anyone els covering the Ohio area does

Just to add to that. Not sure if this is all states but comp is considered things out of your control and so in NC comp claims dont increase premiums unless you have a history of comp claims. So for example, deer jumps out of nowhere and smashes your front end, oh well its the deers fault not yours, theyll fix it and not raise your insurance. If you swerve to miss the deer and end up hitting a small post instead, its suddenly a collision claim since you maneuvered the car into the pole, so its your fault and your rates will go up

Vandalism? Cant stop the haters...theyll fix it and not raise your rates
Hail? not your fault god was passing kidney stones, wont raise your rates.
Rock chip, not your fault

Weirdly, if a huge rock flies off of a truck and straight into your car, its not your fault. But if it hits the ground first, THEN hits your car, you coild have avoided it so its your fault.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Just to add to that. Not sure if this is all states but comp is considered things out of your control and so in NC comp claims dont increase premiums unless you have a history of comp claims. So for example, deer jumps out of nowhere and smashes your front end, oh well its the deers fault not yours, theyll fix it and not raise your insurance. If you swerve to miss the deer and end up hitting a small post instead, its suddenly a collision claim since you maneuvered the car into the pole, so its your fault and your rates will go up

Vandalism? Cant stop the haters...theyll fix it and not raise your rates
Hail? not your fault god was passing kidney stones, wont raise your rates.
Rock chip, not your fault

Weirdly, if a huge rock flies off of a truck and straight into your car, its not your fault. But if it hits the ground first, THEN hits your car, you coild have avoided it so its your fault.
This is how it is in Ohio also
i found this out when i was talking with the claim adjuster to find information out with my past hit and ran in Feb

the F ED part is if its a hit and run it goes on collision and it will affect your premiums the fallowing anniversary of your policy witch sucks

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
thats only because people lie alot. if hit and run didnt increase your premiums, every single-car accident would be a hit and run

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I also forgot to add that Even if its a Not at fault accident and the person that hit you or was at fault sticks around gets a Ticket from the city even admits to it being his fault or if its a rear end i know in Ohio its automatically the one who rear ends you fault
but even if they have proof that it was not your fault and you had no control over what happened
then it goes on a Not at fault Collisions
but still in Ohio
all collision not at fault or at fault hit and runs
they all count against your premiums the fallowing year
at least in Ohio PA and Mi i know this

i think that someone higher up needs to pass a bill saying that hit and runs like if it gets caught on a video take perhaps
or if the police get called to the accident and its prooven it was not your fualt
then they should have to be placed under Comp or if they are collision have something where they can have a code next to it and make it not count against you the fallow year

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
I just called the glass service they took my insurance account number, came out & fixed the windshield at my work that afternoon. No questions asked. No paperwork. No contact with my insurer or agent required. Done.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts