Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally ready to get my diff and of course with my luck its after Madman no longer offers the IRS so who is going to step up and build me a bullit proof IRS rear to eventually handle 800+ rwhp? GForce, Hendrix, and who ever else may have the talent, please speak up and tell me what you would build ie 9", Viper rear etc?

I have not heard good things about the ford 8.8 with the weight of our cars so I dont think I would be interested in that option. You guys have the axles, now lets do the diff! :thumbsup:

thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V blk/blk
323 Posts
I will be interested in about 2 years for this also. Hopefully in 2 years someone will have a rear that will bolt in and handle 1000RWHP+

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
I am finally ready to get my diff and of course with my luck its after Madman no longer offers the IRS so who is going to step up and build me a bullit proof IRS rear to eventually handle 800+ rwhp? GForce, Hendrix, and who ever else may have the talent, please speak up and tell me what you would build ie 9", Viper rear etc?

I have not heard good things about the ford 8.8 with the weight of our cars so I dont think I would be interested in that option. You guys have the axles, now lets do the diff! :thumbsup:

thank you,
Jim
See if Wait4me can do it for you. He has something on his V1.

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did call Wait4Me and the guy that did his Viper rear in 08 did not want to do it. :bomb:

Aren't the GTO diffs holding up to all kinds of power with just axles and CV's? If so then what is so different about them; are they lighter? Can the GTO rears go in our cars if they are stronger?

no build offers :ill: please PM me if anyone is interested since I do have the money and am ready to go. :yup:

·
Registered
escalade
571 Posts
The 8.8 will hold fine we have several gtos over 1000hp with our parts.The stock gto rear is junk and you would have as much labor making it fit as you would a good diff,ie 8.8 ,9inch.If you have the funds as you say call me ,there is no doubt we can do it if you want it done.980.521.0722

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
All hendrix will do is call DSS and ask them to make something for you and charge you for being the middle man, then blame you when it doesn't work. :tisk:

Gforce would be your best bet for a custom application. They are the real deal.

Or....Get ahold of Nutz on this forum. He has made the only steel diff that will plug and play (you add your stock ring and pinion)

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All hendrix will do is call DSS and ask them to make something for you and charge you for being the middle man, then blame you when it doesn't work. :tisk:

Gforce would be your best bet for a custom application. They are the real deal.

Or....Get ahold of Nutz on this forum. He has made the only steel diff that will plug and play (you add your stock ring and pinion)
okay Hendrix thanks for the info and LGag the steel diff is great BUT you have to put the same stock crap gears inside which is what got damaged in the rear I have now plus you have no shorter gear options as I want to put in some 4.30 gears with my 150 shot :D. As you know when you buy aftermarket gears they are much bigger and stronger then the stock crap and can take a ton of beating so if I want gears I pretty much have to change my diff; its frustrating but I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. I wish I just would have known that the Madman diff was a limited production rear :banghead:

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4:30 gears with a power adder is not the ideal choice.

its is for me :D. this is not my first rodeo with this set up plus I will have first gear lock out on the spray and then a progressive controller so it will be nice and smoot in 2-4th. The gear will help the car rocket out of the hole and thats my goal. :lildevil:

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
You're gonna need some slicks to hold the power you want and such low gears. But I'm assuming that's probably your goal anyway. This build should get interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're gonna need some slicks to hold the power you want and such low gears. But I'm assuming that's probably your goal anyway. This build should get interesting to say the least.
I was thinking DRs would hold with low pressure since it will be a progressive shot and I can pretty much tune it how hard or soft that I want it to come on. It almost feels like boost from a turbo when you work with a progressive shot, pretty cool.

I am talking with a few guys now, will keep you all posted :bouncy:

·
Registered
05 V - Procharged / N20 - yea, why not.
410 Posts
Glad to hear your using a progressive controller...
I see why your needing a well built back end.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
I'll get some #'s put together for you on a custom 9" IRS, custom axles, custom driveshaft and what ever else I can think of.
The GTO rear would be good, we have alot of customers putting down 1000+ rwhp on them with no problems but if your going to do a full custom build then a 9" would be the way to go. I'll run the #'s on both a GTO rear and a 9" to see what the price difference would be.

Were getting ready to park 2 cnc machining centers in our shop just for jobs like this :)

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes plus my motor is not forged yet so the progressive controller is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll get some #'s put together for you on a custom 9" IRS, custom axles, custom driveshaft and what ever else I can think of.
The GTO rear would be good, we have alot of customers putting down 1000+ rwhp on them with no problems but if your going to do a full custom build then a 9" would be the way to go. I'll run the #'s on both a GTO rear and a 9" to see what the price difference would be.

Were getting ready to park 2 cnc machining centers in our shop just for jobs like this :)

Thanks
Chris
this is good news, thank you Chris! :yup:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
this is good news, thank you Chris! :yup:
I'd be interested too. Very soon. GTO rear would be fine if it can hold 800hp.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
yes plus my motor is not forged yet so the progressive controller is definitely the way to go.
I used a progrssive controller on our shop car a couple years ago to run 9.40's on the GTO rear. Only used 10% off the line and all in about 1 second out.

·
Registered
Cadillac V BAd BOy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used a progrssive controller on our shop car a couple years ago to run 9.40's on the GTO rear. Only used 10% off the line and all in about 1 second out.
okay so whats so different between the two diffs as to why the GTO one is holding up? Was your GTO an automatic because if it was I think this would be easier on a diff then a stick would? I wanted to convert to an auto for this very reason but heard you cannot get it to fit our you would have to pound out some metal to get it too plus the 6 speed is fun to drive so I dont mind bangin gears too much.

Can you post up a pic of a GTO rear, does it look like ours or does it just look beefier? Do they offer a wide selection of gears for these diffs; like 4.30's and are they larger then stock?

What is the weight for a GTO 3,800??

sorry for all of the questions but I find it interesting that these hold up and ours don't; all I can think is that its because they may be auto's.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
okay so whats so different between the two diffs as to why the GTO one is holding up? Was your GTO an automatic because if it was I think this would be easier on a diff then a stick would? I wanted to convert to an auto for this very reason but heard you cannot get it to fit our you would have to pound out some metal to get it too plus the 6 speed is fun to drive so I dont mind bangin gears too much.

Can you post up a pic of a GTO rear, does it look like ours or does it just look beefier? Do they offer a wide selection of gears for these diffs; like 4.30's and are they larger then stock?

What is the weight for a GTO 3,800??

sorry for all of the questions but I find it interesting that these hold up and ours don't; all I can think is that its because they may be auto's.
The GTO rear housing is iron for one. In stock form they break but when you put in an Eaton posi they will hold some serious power.
Pretty limited on gear selection, options are 3.07, 3.46, 3.91 and 4.10 and gears are pretty expensive ranging from $399. to $679.
And yes, we had an automatic in our car but I have customer with manuals putting down over 1000 rwhp in these rears both in the US and Australia.

Here is a pick of one we built. It has our billet pinion yoke on the front.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts