Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running LED bulbs in various areas of my '06 for the past few years, and had some questions about funny things that I notice that must be related to the bulbs. First off, here's what I have running in terms of LED bulbs:

- All interior bulbs, NOT including backlighting for buttons, dash, etc
- DRL/signals with resistors
- Fog bulbs
- Accent lights (in the corner of the headlights)
- Side markers
- LED tail lights, BUT with incandescent signal bulb since I can`t find a good place to install the necessary resistor.
- Reverse bulbs

Things I`ve noticed:

1) When I put my turn signal on, the corresponding little accent light in the headlight very faintly flashes with the signal.

2) When I put my hazards on, the side markers flash but only very dimly. (Note: With my turn signal is on, it flashes at full brightness, with the addition of what I mentioned above)

3) Putting the car in reverse makes my radio go fuzzy. Not completely inaudible, but it adds interference (caused by reverse bulbs, maybe?)

Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be causing any of those?

I'm also interested in changing my headlights over to the dual halo headlights off eBay. My concern is that the CCFL halos might be affected by whatever's going on with those little accent bulbs right now, since they'll use the same wiring.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?
I also noticed that my LED tail lights are also included in this mess somehow. When the little corner lights in the headlights are flashing with my signals, the TAIL light's LED "light tubes" also dimly flash with them. Regardless of left or right signal, all 4 lights (corner accent lights in headlights and tail light "light tubes" flash. The only thing I can think of is that it's normal for some stray power to run through the circuit when the signal is on, but it's not enough for an incandescent bulb to light up, so you don't notice. The LED's obviously light up with far less power, so maybe they're all being activated by this usually "normal" stray power...? Really, the "why" doesn't matter much... I'm just wondering how I can stop it from happening...

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
I've never noticed. I'll try to remember to check mine (it's in the shop, but should get it back Friday). I don't have as many LEDs, but I do have the little LED accent lights up front and the 2nd gen style LED taillights.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never noticed. I'll try to remember to check mine (it's in the shop, but should get it back Friday). I don't have as many LEDs, but I do have the little LED accent lights up front and the 2nd gen style LED taillights.
Just remember, this only happens when all other lights are off, or just the DRLs are running. If I manually have my parking lights, headlights, or even just the fog lights on, then nothing flashes that shouldn't.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone else who might come across this thread down the road, a little update. I installed LED bulbs in the rear signal location (on my LED tails, which for some dumb reason employ incandescent bulbs for the signal), which required another set of 50w resistors being installed as well (to stop hyper flash). I thought these resistors might help with the issue I brought up in my OP, but unfortunately did not. So I'm still in the same boat, but now with LED bulbs in the rear signal locations.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
So I finally remembered to test this yesterday evening when I was out swapping wheels. With the headlights off, so just the DRLs and little corner markers on, I did not detect any flashing in the corner markers or the "light tubes". I watched pretty closely, just to be sure. The only LEDs I have are the corner markers, everything else on the exterior is conventional bulbs.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another quirk I've found, which I'm not sure is related to the LED bulbs or not, is that when I put it in Reverse my radio goes fuzzy. Pop it out of R and it goes right back to crystal clear. I think it might be the "80w" LED reverse bulbs I have in there. No big deal. Electrics are complimicated.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Maggied
271 Posts
Another quirk I've found, which I'm not sure is related to the LED bulbs or not, is that when I put it in Reverse my radio goes fuzzy. Pop it out of R and it goes right back to crystal clear. I think it might be the "80w" LED reverse bulbs I have in there. No big deal. Electrics are complimicated.
A lot of the cheap LED's out there don't have any EMI shielding whatsoever so they can causes issues like you are seeing with the radio screen. I know people that bought the cheap LED headlight bulb conversions and have radio reception issues only when their headlights are on.

As far as all bulbs flashing. Start by checking your grounds and clean them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts