Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last June I traded in my 06 Acura TL 6-speed manual for my 2011 CTS4 Coupe. Back then I thought this would be a welcome change because this is my first 2-door car. I have always had FWD before and I thought AWD will be nice in midwest snow. I love my CTS to death. It gets looks everywhere. It is a 10x better car overall. But I am really starting to miss having 3 pedals. CTS guzzles more gas and even with 40 more HP, it is heavier and slower than the TL.

Less than a year of owning my CTS, I am half tempted to trade in for a manual.

Anyone else miss driving a manual?

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
I had two... I don't miss it, especially in the city. However, sometimes I use manual mode which in my automatic CTS is really slow. I would like to have shifters and quicker response from tranny.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
I had a 335i with manual and I do miss it. I love my car, but I really wanted a stick. I searched in a 500 mile radius and found ONE. It was silver. Given the choice of a silver CTS coupe with manual and an auto red CTS coupe, I went with the latter.

Shakey

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
My previous car was a Honda S2000, so yeah, it's a little different. I'm thinking about a manual Golf GTI for my next car...GTI S with performance package.

One of the reasons I wanted an auto this time around is that I have a 30-mile (each way) commute in what can be bumper-to-bumper traffic, and pushing the clutch a thousand times a day was getting old. Since then I managed to change my hours, and I don't get stuck in traffic nearly as much, so a manual is looking more appealing again.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
I had a MGB, obviously a manual, so I knew what I was getting into for my V. In my standard CTS I have it in the sport mode so I can use the manual mode in a heartbeat where needed.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
My 1st car was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme when I was 16 - Only Automatic I have owned. Since then I have had '83 Honda Accord (85HP), '92 Nissan Sentra (110HP), 97 Ford Probe (165HP), 2000 Nissan Maxima (205HP) and now my 2008 CTS (265HP) - All manual gearbox - I figure 600k + miles total - 1 $250 clutch replacement on the Accord is the only transmission related expense I have experienced (and that was because I didn't know how to drive it correctly)!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
Next stop: 556 hp CTS-V

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Perfect plan! I might as well skip to the pinnacle before I am too old to really enjoy it!

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
JCBCTS said:
Perfect plan! I might as well skip to the pinnacle before I am too old to really enjoy it!
You Only Live Once! :)

·
Registered
14,161 Posts
Pooop, I'm 63 and decided life is passing me by. Had to get my M6 Vagon (so my son can end up with it, 'cause it ain't goin' nowhere without me in it).

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual
321 Posts
I have a manual like MotownPimp and I can tell you the performance is night and day compared to the AWD Coupes. I test drove every combination; AWD auto, RWD auto, and finally a RWD manual with FE3 suspension. Without a doubt the manual feels way faster through every gear and it also feels substantially lighter (I have read up to 300 lbs lighter than AWD). After doing tons of research I found out that the manuals gear ratio's are way closer and the final drive is lower as well which keeps the engine revving really quickly through each gear. For the reasons I mentioned above you should definitely trade your AWD Coupe for a manual Coupe just keep in mind there were only 65 manual coupes ever produced so finding one might be impossible.
Last June I traded in my 06 Acura TL 6-speed manual for my 2011 CTS4 Coupe. Back then I thought this would be a welcome change because this is my first 2-door car. I have always had FWD before and I thought AWD will be nice in midwest snow. I love my CTS to death. It gets looks everywhere. It is a 10x better car overall. But I am really starting to miss having 3 pedals. CTS guzzles more gas and even with 40 more HP, it is heavier and slower than the TL.

Less than a year of owning my CTS, I am half tempted to trade in for a manual.

Anyone else miss driving a manual?

·
Registered
321 Posts
0423131737a.jpg 0423131733a.jpg 0330131556c.jpg 0423131737c.jpg Here's a couple of pics of my rare gem that I almost love more than life itself, lol!!!!! You'll notice the one I chose for my avatar.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have to show you all the car I had before my Caddy which is now my wife's. I know this is a Caddy forum but I am on a roll and can't help myself! I think you fine gentlemen will still approve? 251498_4396430756203_778934400_n.jpg

·
Registered
2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited
122 Posts
I have always and only had manuals before this car. (last one was a BMW 330i) It's the first auto I've ever owned and I really do miss it. Like was posted before, there weren't many manny Coupes ever built, so finding one was near impossible.

I'm learning to drive the auto better and make it feel better, but I miss the involvement of driving a stick.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Small town just west of Edmonton. How do you like your 2009? I assume its the DI 3.6? I heard the LY7 3.6 performs really well with a stick as well.
Edmonton? Calgary? I'm in Edmonton and have a '09 6-speed in my fleet.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Small town just west of Edmonton. How do you like your 2009? I assume its the DI 3.6? I heard the LY7 3.6 performs really well with a stick as well.
We should meet up sometime in the spring/summer.

Yeah I like my '09. It's a DI with every option and I've made the changes to the exterior to look like a '11. I autocrossed it quite a bit when I was living in BC a couple years ago as my V broke all their sound limits so I couldn't run that. Car did pretty well.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in Iowa with horrible snow plowing with just one vehicle so it would have to be FWD or AWD. I cannot do RWD.

I was looking at Regal GS, Audi A4, or VW CC in manual just in case I wanted to trade in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts