Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday I was on the Forum, when the page froze up! (not Forum related) I went to a site that scans for viruses and I had two "Trojan Worms" that apparently infected this old computer in 1998! I guess Trojans wait around for a while and then strike when you don't expect it. In my defence, I didn't own the computer when it was infected. Yes, I should have got Norton, or scanned sooner. I didn't think you could get a virus or worm from just visiting sites, but from downloading, but this is not true. (I've been told) Anyway, I got Norton free for a year now, so it just makes you more aware of things I guess.

I bet I have the oldest computer on the Forum! Can you beat 166 mhz, with 10 gigs of harddrive!! Yes, I'm cheap but it works.
 

·
Registered
Unicycle
Joined
·
11,009 Posts
well, I certinaly had much slower machines then that in my past, my current machine is a custom made by me Athlon XP 2400+

my ThinkPad is a P 166, 32mb, 4.5gb hdd, although I rarely use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
Night Wolf said:
well, I certinaly had much slower machines then that in my past, my current machine is a custom made by me Athlon XP 2400+

my ThinkPad is a P 166, 32mb, 4.5gb hdd, although I rarely use it.
Well is everyone ready to be amazed at the CRAZY system i run at my house.

Server: 586, 64mb ram, 60gb hdd,
main P2 400 512mb ram
slave p133 128mb ram
slave p100 128 mb ram
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
166mhz with a 2gb HDD.... Thats not my computer, but I have a POS too.....

I still have a 75mhz, 800mb, 8mb Ram Acer Aspire down in the basement!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
hows this:

I access the forums from an iMac at work :crying2:


but at home i have a brand new Dell with a 2.6Ghz w/800 mhz front side bus and 512 MB of ram and a 128MB video card... oh, and an ancient 21" monitor. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Viruses , spyware, and worms

VIRUSES are just that - like a flu bug, they infect one computer and transmit and infect another computer - generally passed on through attachments, etc.
Viruses can be fatal to the operation of a computer - they can destroy files, etc.


WORMS enter a computer the same way - but once in a hard drive, they "worm" their way through numerous files, generally not as fatal as a virus - typically a worm will overload files until the computer runs slower and slower till it finally freezes up.

Once a hard drive is de-wormed, normal operation resumes.

SPYWARE - the newest hacker weapon.
Spyware enters in piggyback fashion, then hides a small executable file in your computer system. Usually the name of the file looks legitimate.
Each spyware file may function differently.
I had one that , every time I would try to connect through my dial up modem, the spyware would tell the modem that the line was busy - even when it wasn't!!!

Many spyware files hide and send information from your computer to someone else (a hacker) when you are online.

In order to check for spyware - there is a free software that is terrific.

Go to

www.download.com

select software and support


or search for


AD AWARE 6.0


Then download and open it.
It runs and checks every file in your computer - you may be surprised what it finds.
I have used this program for more than a year, every few weeks - and it is great!!

This is a free software - not share ware.You will not have to buy it later.

If you have any questions -I will be glad to answer them best as I can.

good luck
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms

I got SpyBot off of download.com.... And it works great for spyware..... I run it every month or so and it finds all kinds of stuff.... I also do a full scan with Norton AntiVirus every so often, but I always have the background scan going, and autoupdates on.....

I feel pretty safe about stuff like that..... Now I need to setup a good firewall for the network.....
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AKPsiMC03 said:
hows this:

I access the forums from an iMac at work :crying2:


but at home i have a brand new Dell with a 2.6Ghz w/800 mhz front side bus and 512 MB of ram and a 128MB video card... oh, and an ancient 21" monitor. lol
Wanna trade????? :D
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms

elwesso said:
I got SpyBot off of download.com.... And it works great for spyware..... I run it every month or so and it finds all kinds of stuff.... I also do a full scan with Norton AntiVirus every so often, but I always have the background scan going, and autoupdates on.....

I feel pretty safe about stuff like that..... Now I need to setup a good firewall for the network.....
Our Norton is cool, it scans and deletes viruses automatically. :worship: I"m afraid to say I don't know what a firewall is, but I assume it has to do with keeping out bugs.
 

·
Registered
A boat
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms

It's interesting, because most of these email viruses only work when the email client being used is outlook or outlook express. I use mozilla.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms

pink panther said:
VIRUSES are just that - like a flu bug, they infect one computer and transmit and infect another computer - generally passed on through attachments, etc.
Viruses can be fatal to the operation of a computer - they can destroy files, etc.


WORMS enter a computer the same way - but once in a hard drive, they "worm" their way through numerous files, generally not as fatal as a virus - typically a worm will overload files until the computer runs slower and slower till it finally freezes up.

Once a hard drive is de-wormed, normal operation resumes.

SPYWARE - the newest hacker weapon.
Spyware enters in piggyback fashion, then hides a small executable file in your computer system. Usually the name of the file looks legitimate.
Each spyware file may function differently.
I had one that , every time I would try to connect through my dial up modem, the spyware would tell the modem that the line was busy - even when it wasn't!!!

Many spyware files hide and send information from your computer to someone else (a hacker) when you are online.

In order to check for spyware - there is a free software that is terrific.

Go to

www.download.com

select software and support


or search for


AD AWARE 6.0


Then download and open it.
It runs and checks every file in your computer - you may be surprised what it finds.
I have used this program for more than a year, every few weeks - and it is great!!

This is a free software - not share ware.You will not have to buy it later.

If you have any questions -I will be glad to answer them best as I can.

good luck
Hey neigbbour, thanks for the info! I actually used Adaware for the cookies and spyware. I also used a great free scan site called www.trendmicro.com. What you described for worms is exactly what my symptoms were! I wish I scanned sooner, or knew as much as the kids today about the net. You see, we deleted it from the c-drive before I took it in to my tech guy, but it copied onto the d-drive, and vise-versa in order to survive!! Why would I need a firewall (and what is this?) if I have Norton!?
 

·
Registered
A boat
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms

A firewall keeps out nasty network traffic. For example, Symantecs firewall blocks nasty incoming traffic, for example, that might be making a request for sub7,which is a nasty little virus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms...... in Saskatchewan...

ooops - see next post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms...... in Saskatchewan...

What is the story about a 91 Caddy with 40,000 kms!!!!!!!

I thought I lucked out on a 94 Deville with only 120,000 kms.

Only had it for a few days - but 30+ mpg on the highway, quiet, roomy - only obstacle is everyone thinks my wife is a super Mary Kay saleslady.
Doesn't bother me a bit.

The firewall is as its name suggests -

- while Norton (wasn't that the janitor's name on Jackie Gleason Show w/ Ralph Cramden??) will clean out viruses and some worms from your system, a firewall prevents them from getting in in the first place.

Keep updating your Norton program, - for every ounce of prevention - the hackers are always coming up with a pound of sludge.

I personally am looking at purchasing Linux Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2 operating system.
It is an open software that has no license fee. Instead of paying about $300+ for Windows O/S, this is priced Under $50 USD .

Do a Google search on Linux Mandrake, and check out the sights.
Linux does not crash like Windows, and thre are virtually no viruses written for it - due to such a small percentage of users. That is also why Mac has so few viruses written for it - the hackers spend their mis-guided efforts on the 96+ % of users of Windows PC O/S.



About the Canadian Caddy situation.......
Any reasonably priced Canadian sources for parts (hood, grille) that you know of??

Good to hear from you........


Pink Panther!!!
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms...... in Saskatchewan...

I've heard stuff about linux, but some of my hardware is outdated..... Would I still be able to find drivers that work for linux??

Or does everything that works on windows work on Linux?? I used a linux emulator once, and I didnt like it!

Let me know where you find linux.....
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
Mandrake is the stuff! I'm running 9.2 And KDE 3.1.

As far as outdated hardware, that is not a problem, as people have managed to get linux installed on just about everything. Believe it or not, NEW hardware is more of a problem due to the time it takes the community to develop a driver for hardware after it has been released to the public.

With the windows thing.... Some stuff CAN be run in linux using WINE, but it's not foolproof yet. Linux has some suprisingly robust programs for being free, OpenOffice is awfully close to MS Office, yet it doesn't cost a dime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Re: Viruses , spyware, and worms...... in Saskatchewan...

See Dave Smed's posting here.

He is more aware of Linux than I. I do not have it up and running yet - still studying it as a very good option.

I have heard that earlier versions (kernel, I think looked wierd and were hard to run). I have been told that Mandrake 9.1/9.2 looks and feels like windows xp, or near it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I run both XP and Linux (Slackware 9 ). If you want to goto linux i suggest you purchase crossover you can install MS Office and Internet Explorer inside linux. Also you don't have to purchase linux you can download it and burn it to cd. Also i would pick up a book called "UNIX in a nutshell" it has all the commands that you would need to use in linux. Thats if you even plan on using commands, you don't have to you caAs for virus protection i would suggest Trend Micro They are pretty quick to pickup on new worms and virus out in the wild, i have used trend in a corperate enviroment for over 3 years and it has treated me pretty well.
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
Why use IE when Mozilla is right there? Built in anti-spam filters, pop-up protection, image permissions (no banner ads), and none of the vunerabilities of IE.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top