Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V
304 Posts
Who believes my hood is real. Its a big I don't know. I think with proper tuning that is safe from detonation, the block will be fine.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wrestling with this as you can tell, forged LSA vs LSX bowtie with forged internals and new heads.

What happened to surgin is causing me great concern. I hope we get a definitive answer on what the

cause was. Last thing I want to do is replace the block. However, I am prepared to do it.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
534 Posts
IMO, yes! Assuming NO detonation....that's the killer of all forced induction motors. Heck, I think the stock short block can make it. Also, don't wring it to the moon. Maybe keep the 6200 rpm limit. Just guessing.Good luck!!!

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
At 1000 hp have you torn down the block and checked it for block distorsion? Ive seen alot of high hp engines pulled back apart after some dyno time and runs and the block moved all over the place. The older lt1 type are even worse and alot weaker than a ls3 type engine. Ls3 i have seen core shift as well at 900rwhp. Run it back threw a main hone and check it out... That is why i switched from using the stock blocks to the rhs and lsx. Main studs, engine girdle, and modified block stuff will help the ls3 some, but not enough to keep me happy.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
105 Posts
I am wrestling with this as you can tell, forged LSA vs LSX bowtie with forged internals and new heads.

What happened to surgin is causing me great concern. I hope we get a definitive answer on what the

cause was. Last thing I want to do is replace the block. However, I am prepared to do it.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125524

Blown LSX block cylinder wall cracked like egg shells at only 912 hp. You think for the extra money you would get a good sense of security but your not.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
188 Posts
Jesse do you think the block for the ZR1 would distort at 900 wheel hp? What do you think the limit is for the LSA block with forged internals "800 wheel"?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125524

Blown LSX block cylinder wall cracked like egg shells at only 912 hp. You think for the extra money you would get a good sense of security but your not.

That seems to be an issue with the lsx if you bore it all the way to a
454, the highest jesse suggests is going 441 with our v's. Using oil to directly cool the pistons makes me wonder if a better oil than mobil 1 will benefit us more. I switched over to the new pennzoil ultra thats gm approved for our v's. Its the newest approved and new highest graded oil for gm

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
That was with a massive bore size. The larger the bore the thinner the walls. Also there could have been alot of other variables and things going on that we do not know about with that block. Also the materials used in the rotating assembly where not up to that task. Which is why the clearly say no forced induction for that setup.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Jesse do you think the block for the ZR1 would distort at 900 wheel hp? What do you think the limit is for the LSA block with forged internals "800 wheel"?

I have not torn one of that block type apart to check yet. That might be a question for lingenfelter to answer as they are running one in thier 1200hp camaro.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
That seems to be an issue with the lsx if you bore it all the way to a
454, the highest jesse suggests is going 441 with our v's. Using oil to directly cool the pistons makes me wonder if a better oil than mobil 1 will benefit us more. I switched over to the new pennzoil ultra thats gm approved for our v's. Its the newest approved and new highest graded oil for gm

Not sure about using the heavier oils. Im not sure if it is bad to have thicker oil clinging to the underside of the rotating system. I would think that extra weight would throw off the balance of the rotating assembly.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
392 Posts
Jesse,

Yes, my race motor has been "freshened" a couple of times over the last 5 or so years, this setup has lasted well. This is a real 4 bolt LT1 block, not a "splayed" modified 2 bolt block, but still is working well (knock on a BUNCH of wood).

On another topic, I emailed you back several days ago and have not heard back, please see if you can find my email and get me the info I'm asking for.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I feel comfortable in saying that the lsa block with GOOD forged internals like billit or titanium rods, LIGHTWEIGHT forged modifed pistons, and a billit crank, that would lighten the total rotating weight of the internals would be able to handle a 850rwhp for a while.

The key here though is, light light light rotating mass that would reduce the strain on the block during the high cly pressures and rpms needed to achieve that hp level.

But what is the limit before the heads start to leak, or valve float, ect..

Other heads with 1.55" springs and more valve options help on the valve float and stronger head surface deck.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
4.155 bore.

·
Banned
09' CTS-V
1,023 Posts
Come on Curtis, pull the trigger already...

you know you want to... come on

do it, do it, do it.

CTS-V DEEP into the 9's and no kaboom

It's funny how easy it is to encourage other to spend their money... My wife is rubbing off

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
188 Posts
Jesse what Is harder on the block horse power or boost? Would there be any change in your opinion about the LSA handling 850 wheel if you had " and these are fictitious numbers" a larger supercharge with 9 psi compared to a smaller supercharger at 13 psi.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Boost is just a byproduct of restriction as you are forcing more air than the engine can put out. Larger flowing heads, with a proper camshaft can make more horsepower with less boost being applied, even though the supercharger rotor speed has stayed the same. Meaning the charger is still moving the same amount of air, but the engine is able to get rid of the pressure easier.

Horsepower and boost together are what makes it hard on the engine. Boost creates heat, and horsepower creates heat and stress on all components. Engine rpm, piston speed, ect all come in to play with everything as well. your question is a tough one.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts