Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Eldo Cov't, 2002 ETC Conv't
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Bought a 2002 Eldo ETC convertible (coachbuilders) two years ago and now need tires (now 9 years old). My tire size is 235/60/R16:

1) Other than Vogue, Does anyone with decent tires for normal comfortable everyday driving , still make M/S All Season white wall tires? (I'm not talking about the big 3 inch whitewalls). Are Vogues OK for daily everyday driving ?

2) I presently have 235/60/R16 tires in rear But 235/65/R16 in front. New 235/60/R16 tires should still fit on the front rims with the 65/R16 tires shouldn't they?

3) Why would someone put 65/R16 on the front rims other than the dealer needed to replace the front and only had the 65's lying around? The fronts are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 II M&S and the rears are Eagle LS M&S 99H. Thanks A Lot, Wally

PS I Presently have 215/70/15 tiger paw whitewalls bought 2009 on my 84 Eldo and Love them. While on the phone with Uniroyal Re the 2002 tires the rep did say that they do still make white walls on Tiger Paw Tjres up to size 215/70/15 and noted quite a few people have been inquiring about white walls recently. Thanks agsain

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
If a DD don't buy Vogue's, they're hard and wear quickly - IMO they're a show tire only....

I know there's companies out there that will white wall tires - I actually do love the look of a thin white wall, love the look of Vogue's but I'll never buy them due to their low quality.

·
Registered
2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible
191 Posts
Waltereldo:

I, too, own a 2002 CoachBuilders Eldo (ESC, tho). I recently put on Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires from
Discount Tires Direct (225/60R16) and they are leagues better than the Mich MXV4s that I had. Not
whitewalls, however. The price was far better than anything Mich had in WW, and the performance/ride
of the Coopers made WW less important -- particularly with Vogue Stardust rims. Vogue tires have a
cool look, but I haven't been impresses with their price or performance reviews. The ESC is not hard on
the eyes, but I like driving it more than just looking at it, so I went with the CS5s and I am very glad I did.
Your tire sizes do sound strange, and I'd match the skins on all four corners for the sake of a good rotation
(isn't 225/60R16 the standard size for the ETC?). I'll be putting CS5s on my SRX to replace the hockey-puck
ride on the extant Hankooks. Put up some pics of your ETC 'vert; I'd love to see it as there aren't too
many around. Incessant compliments on it (even with black sidewalls). Good luck and God bless

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
For a nice ride I like the Michelin Defender (replaced the Symmetry).
I had a nice ride with Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds as well.

Whitewalls are going to severely limit your choices though.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
Despite the dislike I hear from the Forum about VOUGE tires I run counter to your opinions.
They do ride nice and they do wear reasonably well.
I'm on my 3rd set, a set that was on my Buick Century I inherited from my aunt, a set on an old 80ish Town Car I once owned and a set I'm currently running on my '99 Eldorado ETC.
They have all performed to my expectations, balanced easily, ride very smooth with minimal road noise, wear very well and they look rich.
My next Cadillac will also have VOUGE tires, no doubt about it!

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC Collectors Series
164 Posts
Absolutely LOVE the brand new Michelin Primacy MXV4'S on my 2002 Collector Series Touring Coupe. :) Quiet, smooth, plush ride but still plenty of feedback negotiating highway curves at good speed. I do indeed like them much better than the Bridgestone Turanza tires they replaced. The Bridgestones still had plenty of tread left but they were 2007 vintage tires and beginning to weather crack on the sidewalls near the rim. I have had Michelin's on both my Eldorado's and both my late wife's Deville's and always got terrific mileage as well as peace of mind for safety. Just my .02 worth... :)
Best,
Ron

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe & 2013 Cadillac ATS Bas
19 Posts
Travelstar are the cheapest whitewalls around 60-75 per tire and they are 1 " white wall and also make a half inch. I have a set of half inch on my 94 ETC for commuting and they are OK no thrills and wear decent. I'll soon have them sanded down to 2 and a half inches in a month or so at a local lowrider shop.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Travelstar are the cheapest whitewalls around 60-75 per tire and they are 1 " white wall and also make a half inch. I have a set of half inch on my 94 ETC for commuting and they are OK no thrills and wear decent. I'll soon have them sanded down to 2 and a half inches in a month or so at a local lowrider shop.
=============================
ah - that sounds - ah - real - ah - never mind -:canttalk:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts