Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS V8 RWD 1SG+Perf Coll. + Perf Handlin pkg
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 STSV8 1SF RWD

For several days I have noticed a very low level whistle-like noise when I turn the stearing wheel. Almost sounds like a distant siren. I was thinking that it might be the steering fluid flowing thru an orfice when steering is activated but this afternoon it appeared more like two parts rubbing together inside the steering column or at least at the joint of the column and steering wheel where the leather might be rubbing. The pitch of the whistle seems to be associated with the speed of turning the wheel.

Anybody have any experience with this problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its funny, i have a CTS and i have know exactly the noise you are talking about. It comes and goes, iam not sure where its comming from. sounds like something in the rubbing in the steering column.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nicrdh said:
Its funny, i have a CTS and i have know exactly the noise you are talking about. It comes and goes, iam not sure where its comming from. sounds like something in the rubbing in the steering column.
I think you are right.... it is a rubbing coming from the junction of the steering wheel and column......can be reproduced with engine off and the frequency seems to be related to the speed of causing the rubbing. Haven't had it fixed yet......and it seems to come and go with various temperatures in and out of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my 06 sts since nov. and began to notice the same high pitched sound when going slow and making slight turns of the steering wheel. I checked the fluid level and found it to be a bit low. Topped it off and the sound is still there but seems to be much quieter than before. It doesn't seem to occur until the enging warms up. I don't want to take it to the dealer yet for fear that they would want to replace major parts of the power steering mechanism. I've had problems with dealers wanting to replace a lot of things when the car is under warranty.Things don't seem to work right afterwards.The steering is fine-precise and firm so I think I will just wait a while.:hmm:

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
I know exactly the noise as well, my mother's '03 Envoy and my sister's '03 CTS both make the noise intermittently. Both dealers have checked the steering several times and pronounced everything fine. Since it only happens sporadically, they've both learned to live with it. They both say it usually happens in low speed situations--i.e. parking lots.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am absolutely convinced that the whistling noise is just rubbing of the material at the junction of the moving part and fixed part of the steering wheel, possibly internally in the steering wheel. It varies in occurrence with the temperature of the parts. Most importantly it can be heard as a rubbing noise as you move the wheel back and forth when the engine is off and the car is parked in a quiet place.

I personally chose not to bring the car in for this problem as I have some conern about allowing the steering wheel to be disassembled unnecessarily.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS V8 RWD
50 Posts
Hi,

This noise is driving me crazy. This is how it happens.

1. Turn sharply to the left (no noise)
2. Turn sharply right above 20 km / h. The noise comes.

Please note that once the noise came, it will not come again unless I turn sharply to the right.

Anybody suffering from the same problem? I checked it has nothing to do with the steering column motor, I have set it at different positions that does not change anything.

Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 and 2008 STS N* 1SE
57 Posts
Hi,

This noise is driving me crazy. This is how it happens.

1. Turn sharply to the left (no noise)
2. Turn sharply right above 20 km / h. The noise comes.

Please note that once the noise came, it will not come again unless I turn sharply to the right.

Anybody suffering from the same problem? I checked it has nothing to do with the steering column motor, I have set it at different positions that does not change anything.

Appreciate your help.
Yep my 08 STS N* has the same issue no issue turning left only turning right and its after the car has been driven for 20-30 minutes.
No rpm drop when turning the wheel lock to lock while in park. fluid is topped off and has great color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts