Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still very new to my CTS. (2004 3.6L)

I've notice that at all times when the ignition is turned on, and even with everything manually turned off (lights, radio, a/c, engine, etc) there are whirring and clicking noises
constantly coming from somewhere within the dashboard.

Is this normal?

If not, what do you think it might be?

·
Registered
05 CTS
53 Posts
put your ear against the cd player when it happens, I've noticed on mine it spins on very random things that activate the electricity in the car even with the keys out, ie opening the door or turning on a light..does your heating/ac work ok? the little flapper doors inside that control where the air goes are motorized and can click when they aren't working properly, adjusting the air position would cause this to happen if they are failing.. move it from feet to face to defrost and listen for the clicking

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CD player (whole radio) turned off. A/C turned off. Engine turned off. This noise happens when the key is simply in the ignition and turned to the on position, with everything else turned off that can be.

I checked for CD player noise and it's not that.

I guess I won't really know without trying to get a look inside the dashboard. Somehow. Maybe pulling fuses selectively to see when the noises stop might be a good diagnostic.

However, given that this car is so computer-dependent, I'm not sure that just randomly pulling fuses is advisable.

I went to the local salvage yard today to try to find a couple of parts. I did find one, a new A/C console vent panel. Well, new enough. It's perfect. My existing one had
some finish loss on the top edge.

I pulled the replacement from a CTS that had a very violent last moment. The roof was crushed in, and the only sheet metal on the whole car that was possibly reusable was the door skins
on both right doors. Hood, smashed, Trunk, smashed. Left side doors, smashed. Roof, smashed. Fenders, both smashed. Rocker panels, bent and smashed. Quarter panels, both bent and smashed.

Surprisingly, though every airbag was deployed, there was no blood visible in the car. Reportedly, the driver walked away with minor injuries.

It made me feel SAFE in my CTS.

I should probably spend some time inspecting that and other CTSes in the junkyard next time, so as to familiarize myself with how they're put together and figure out how to get to things without doing damage.

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: The noise has gone away by itself. I believe it was just one of those things relating to the fact that the car sat for a few months between the time
it was traded in and the time I bought it. Several such little quirks and noises and other minor instances of misbehavior have all simply gone away.
It's had the kinks worked out and every day the car brings a bigger smile to my face when I drive it.

To my surprise, it has a smaller turning radius than my Camry. I didn't expect that.

I'm learning a lot about this car and have not regretted buying it for one moment. I'd recommend one to anyone.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts
cmjohnson said:
To my surprise, it has a smaller turning radius than my Camry. I didn't expect that.
That's because the CTS is rear wheel drive. Therefore the front wheels aren't restricted in turning as compared to a front wheel or AWD car.

KOT

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out that the noise is from an air vent damper. Part of the A/C system. It's making noise because it can't quite get to the position it wants to get to. I was advised to not worry about it unless
I was having trouble getting the temperature to where I want it. Since I'm not having any such problems, I'll let it be for now. But I will certainly make an effort to find where these parts are located
in the dash, and make plans to swap them out myself should the need arise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts