Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
none
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 cadillac cts with 3.6 liter engine with 39,000 miles. There is an intermittent whining noise that starts when the car is hot or cold. It sounds to me that the noise is coming from the transmission, but nobody knows for sure. I've taken the car to the dealership three times to diagnose and repair the problem. They replaced the differential then said it might be the tires. I replaced the tires with new ones. The car has an extended warranty through gm until august of this year. Any ideas on getting this noise eliminated.
thanks
huntington beach, california

12,778 Posts
whatarush, I'm very sorry to hear that. I can appreciate how frustrating it must be to make repeated trips to the dealer for the same concern! Hopefully the community will be chiming in soon with the feedback you requested, and feel free to email me anytime at [email protected] if you'd like me to investigate further for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
whining is usually the differential. But it could be one of the gearsets in the transmission. More likely is the torque converter. Have you had the transmission oil replaced?

----------

moved from cust svc

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,764 Posts
Since you've said that it could of he a possible tire, differential or transmission. I must ask if this whine only is heard during movement of the car? Or can it be heard while in park as well. If its in movement only, how? Drive and or reverse? What speeds, parking lot speeds or on the road? How long does this whine last? A few seconds to a few minutes?

KOT

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The transmission is a whiny thing. Mine whines all the freaking time, most noticeably cold at low speeds.

It sounds like gear whine to me, directly related to speed. From a standstill whrrrrrrrr as the speed goes up and rrrrrrrhw as it slows down.

I didn't notice it until after I used the sport shift to downshift to slow me headed to a redlight...after I had the transmission flushed by the Cadillac dealer. I can't swear that it didn't do it before then, I always had the radio blasting and didn't try listening to it until after the flush.

I found an old thread with a man who described exactly what I had done, downshifting so hard the the back wheels all but chirped, and his dealer replaced the differential and that was the end of the thread.

GM engineered the sportshift transmission to resemble the feel of a clutch pedal type manual transmission, but the whine sounds like the broken clutch spring on my 53 Rolls-Royce.

·
Registered
Black 06/08 Satillac CTS-O
398 Posts
Mine whines also but it doesn't bother me at all. It's kind of a soothing sound. Almost sounds like a faint power steering pump whine that changes tone with speed. The car doesn't run bad, shifts fine in regular mode, sport mode and manual mode.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Dale, have you got any idea what's making the whine ? What part of the transmission ? Someone mentioned the torque converter.

And yes, it doesn't sound like anything is about to break or is being torn up, it just whines with the engine speed.

How about taking a stethoscope to the trans body to see if your can pinpoint where its coming from ?

LATER : MY WHINE WENT AWAY

I am starting a new thread and poll about whines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts