Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so it was very cold out today went to go start the car and decided to film it starting up. It only makes this whining noise during the winter season it never makes this sound during Spring, Summer or Fall just winter. I had new belts put in during the summer thinking that could be the issue started the engine today and it still made that noise like it did last winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KFJF46Hm8g

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Hmmmmm...wish video was a bit longer and a take by the transmission would be cool.
Remove the serpentine belt, and fire up your ride. Sounds like a power steering pump with bubbles in the hoses:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the power steering fluid and brake fluid everything checks out... The mechanic doesn't know where the sound is coming from

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Is it Jet powered? Sounds like the pre-spin of turbine before firing!

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
It does not sound like power steering at a very cold start. That would be more loud, higher pitch and sometimes scary. It goes away in a few seconds. This is something else.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,474 Posts
are you sure that's not your fan motor. Just turn on the key without starting the motor and see if makes the noise..

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Please remove your belt! Your 350 will not overheat. help us stop worrying about engine-driven accessories!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It sounds like the electric emission pump that always operates for a short period of time when the engine is started cold. Yours may be loose or wearing out and the noise is appearing only in cold weather for now.
wmd

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Sounds like the same power steering pump noise my 94 deville makes when it's very cold out. It stops once it starts warming up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if its the transmission it was rebuilt in 2004 when the car had 100,000KM's on it its only accumulated 50,000 more KM's since the rebuild.

Is it possible the water pump might be making that noise? When should a water pump be changed I don't think its ever been touched

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Not sure if its the transmission it was rebuilt in 2004 when the car had 100,000KM's on it its only accumulated 50,000 more KM's since the rebuild.

Is it possible the water pump might be making that noise? When should a water pump be changed I don't think its ever been touched
Are you sure you have right concentration of antifreeze? What if yo have a mix of ice and liquid in your cooling system? That could make a noise. Next time start with the hood open and listen to waterpump. Removing the serpentine belt would help, as others suggested, to narrow the noise to the accessories.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used prestone 50/50 premix antifreeze I had the mechanic remove the serpentine belt and it turned out to be the water-pump.... It was a stupid bearing but I ended up replacing the whole water-pump as it is the original and looked really nasty after removing it.

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Sounds like the same power steering pump noise my 94 deville makes when it's very cold out. It stops once it starts warming up.
Pretty similar sound my '95 Deville makes when "very" cold in our brutal Michigan winters.
Noise only lasts 30 seconds or so and goes away completely as engine gets warmer.
Been that way ever since I bought it 8 years ago--could be the somewhat common 4.9 liter power steering whine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts