Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 V (cam, full exhaust w/cutouts) / 07 3.6L CTS- 6speed
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 05 CTS-V with 64k miles on it, I bought it about 6 months ago. It had shot motor mounts and shut down like a diesel every time. I replaced them with the Stage II CS mounts and that solved the shutdown issue...for about 200 miles. Then it came back, but no where near as bad. I ended up replacing the diff bushing and tranny mount with CS products also. After awhile of driving, I started to notice some type of whining/wirring noise would develop after awhile if i revved a certain gear out over 3000rpm or accelerated to 3000 too quickly. It stays there throughout all the gears until i come to a stop, and then it idles a little high until I sit at a stop for a few seconds. This noise will go away randomly when driving or wont show up on a drive at all. I know what the diff "howl" sounds like and its nothing like that.

I'm going to assume that all of this is due to the stock dual-mass flywheel? I don't want to pull the trigger on an ls7 kit if it might be the driveshaft. Any ideas?

Now with video

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
You must know about diff whine, but your description doesn't fit that.

It's a "whine," not a buzz? A buzz might be the exhaust pipes laying in contact with the crossbar.

It's not tire whine?

·
Registered
2004 Raven cts-v
44 Posts
Is this the white grease treatment fix?i used that a few years ago and it actually worked.i have a theory about it.under torque the driveshaft moves back against diff carries and doesnt slide back.please correct if im wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try and get a video tomorrow when its not raining. I dont think Im very good at describing noises lol, the video should hopefully make it more understandable. It's not the tires I am sure of that.

And if you're referring to greasing the center part of the driveshaft, I read that thread and I'm going to try that next. Just unsure of which grease to pick up, gotta read more.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
2004 Raven cts-v
44 Posts
JayDohn07 said:
I will try and get a video tomorrow when its not raining. I dont think Im very good at describing noises lol, the video should hopefully make it more understandable. It's not the tires I am sure of that. And if you're referring to greasing the center part of the driveshaft, I read that thread and I'm going to try that next. Just unsure of which grease to pick up, gotta read more. Thank you guys
i used the white grease you use on the hinges.i put it between the rear of the driveshaft and the diff and between the cv's and rearend both sides.
It worked,i had to redo year before but not last year and not this year so far.i did have it oilsprayed last fall and it sat in the garage all winter.it works:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be spraying the carrier bearing tomorrow hoepfully. Here is a short video of the noise, sort of hard to hear in the video I just took it in traffic right before i got home

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
So, I do hear it, and it seems to be proportional to vehicle speed, not engine speed. That puts it from the trans output shaft on back. (Of course, it could be the front tires/wheels, but you would've noticed that.)

That grease sounds like a good place to start. If you can, try spraying one component at a time then drive the car each time to see if that application did the trick so you can narrow it down.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
12 Posts
Thank you for the video. My ‘04 V with 170k miles is experienceing the same sounds. (Original owner on original diff and clutch. Transmission replaced under warranty at 50k) Have you confirmed the source of the whine?

·
Registered
2006 Stealth Gray CTS-V Had: 1997 Eldorado
42 Posts
Funny, I was going to make a post asking for this exact same issue. To me, it sounds like a dying fuel pump, but I'm confident that isn't what it is.

Has anyone confirmed the source of the sound? I'll try adding grease to the driveshaft as others have recommended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts