Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a high pitch whine coming from the drive belt side in my 94 deville 4.9. It's normally louder on cold starts and is less noticeable when warm but still quite noticeable. The sound also increases and decreases with rpm changes I'm suspecting to power steering pump or pulley or idler pulley. If it is indeed the power steering pump pulley should I change the entire pump or is changing the pulley good enough. The pump itself has fluid and does not leak at all

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The power steering pump is attached directly to the pump shaft. It can't make noise. I'd start by checking the tensioner and idler pulleys. Remove the belt from around the pulleys and give them a spin.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
:yeah: I'll second the tensioner or idler pulley bearings.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Would the belt tensioner or idler pulley cause a high pitched constant sound emission at freeway speeds? (74 mph - 80 mph)

I hear something like that when going under bridges/over passes and thought it was tensioner/idler pulley or maybe the alternator

Little whinney off and on durin cold starts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Pulley bearings can make noise in all different ways. From a little "squeak squeak" that comes and goes with temperature changes, to a constant loud squeal, and just about anything in between.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts