Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 deville 4.6l and all of a sudden I have like a whine sound when I accelerate that goes with the speed im going, rotation of the wheel, I know this prolly simple question but I just dunno how it could just happen all of a sudden I mean it's joy he hub correct thanks for the inpur

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Hub bearings usually growl rather than whine.

Is it consistent at all speeds?
Can you get it to come and go or change pitch by pulling the wheel left & right like a NASCAR driver warming his tires?

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I can't get it to come and go, it's comsistent.it just seems to slowly start as i accelerate from a stop and as I increase speed the whine increases with acceleration, almost as the faster the wheels turn in rotation the heavier the sound gets. It sounds like a dirt bike that thinks it's fast but just sounds absolutely horrible to good ears U know what I mean?

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Is it speed or RPM related?
Does it continue if you take your foot off of the accelerator or put it in neutral?

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does continue if I take my foot off pedal but it starts to wind down it definately begins to slow down until gone when not accelerating, I did not try to see if it goes away in neutral truthfully that's actually a really good idea! Something so simple so easy to overlook thanks good suggestion thanks

----------

Definately speed related not rpm

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a little hard to tell cuz of the snow here and so loud but I believe I wanna say that putting it in neutral does make the whine go away

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shit I hope not is there any other possibilities it could be besides the trans like anything maybe I could check and see elsewhere!! Damnit I will give a definitive answer if neutral makes it o away first thing in morning and appreciate all Ur help thanks a lot

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright sorry for delay now I was mistaken when I said it was speed related it must be rpm related cuz when I gave it gas while coasted in neutral it still had the whine present so I apologize for the inconvenience but that's where I am actually at made sure I was correct before I posted any more thansk

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
OK, if it's RPM related you might use a stethoscope to check the WP tensioner bearing if you think it is coming from the drivers side.

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I will do that and once I get to what im looking at it will be clearly visible to see that the bearing is not functioning properly??? And im sorry to hafta ask but that is located where directly by the water pump or is it internal or ??? But thanks for the info

----------

Sorry about that understand what im looking for with the bearing, I neglected to add, cuz I didn't know was directly in tact with bearing, was that a month or so ago I had the belt for pump basically melt on the pulley and I replaced the pulley and belt but didn't know that the cause was a bad bearing so that is definately a mistake on my part and should've put two and two together and realized that there was more of a problem rhan just a new pulley and hit it all in one shot but I do appreciate the valued input live the forum thanks ranger

·
Registered
1997 Deville
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly what it was but the serpentine belt tensioner and pulley thanks thou guys are always dead on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts