Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I am planning to replace my tires for the 2016 Cadillac CTS. I currently have Bridgestone Run Flats (245/40/R18). The ride is very harsh and noisy. I was wondering if moving to non-run Flat's would make any difference?

Can anyone recommend any good tires for me to replace, I live in Dubai, One of the options I got is Pirelli P7, is it any good, I don't mind the cost, I just want the ride to be smooth :)

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,765 Posts
Try BF Goodridge G Force Comp 2 AS

·
Registered
2019 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury AWD V-Sport Trim
244 Posts
Most people who have eliminated the runflats have gone with Michelins including me. All reports I have seen and my personal experience is that the Michelin non-flats are a huge improvement.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,690 Posts
Don't overlook the Cooper CS5. Good in the wet, very quiet on the road.

·
Registered
2016 CTS
16 Posts
I got rid of my 18 inch wheels, went with the stock 17 in. wheels, and installed Michelin Primacy Tour All Season radials in 245/45R 17 XL. The car silently rides like a dream.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 16 CTS and went with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 ZP (run flat). Very quiet and more comfortable ride than the Pirellis. Doesn’t handle quite as well at high speeds, 80+, but that is a small trade-off.

·
Registered
'15 "Camaro Touring Sedan" 3.6 Luxury RWD
34 Posts
Most people who have eliminated the runflats have gone with Michelins including me. All reports I have seen and my personal experience is that the Michelin non-flats are a huge improvement.
I second this. I replaced the OEM Bridgestone runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ non-runflats. I've posted my thoughts previously on this forum. JoeCamaro53

·
Registered
'15 "Camaro Touring Sedan" 3.6 Luxury RWD
34 Posts
I second this. I replaced the OEM Bridgestone runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ non-runflats. I've posted my thoughts previously on this forum. JoeCamaro53
#11 7 months ago
Here's my comment. I now have about 9000 miles on them. If anything has changed, it's now where the Bridgestones used to spin, the Michelins have so much more grip that the car now wheel-hops. No change in fuel economy, still quiet; I highly recommend them.

Re run-flats and Michelin tires: OEM tires are generally low rolling resistance for manufacturers' EPA mileage; grip and long tread life are not part of the equation. At 28k mostly town miles with some tread left, the OEM Bridgestones on my '15 3.6L were undriveable on wet pavement, even with traction and stability control engaged. I had already decided that Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ were going on it at replacement time, plus they had a Consumer Reports top-rating.

According to Michelin's website, there are no direct replacement tires for 17 or 18 inch wheels. In my case -- 245/45-17 95V, there are H-rated, extra-load V's, XL Y's, and (95Y)'s with this being a run-flat though the spec sheet and description doesn't tell you that. The 18's are similar.

The closest available tire was the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the XL 99V rating. Surprisingly the XL 99Y was $11 per tire cheaper than the XL 99V in November ($15 less now) so I bought the Y-rated tires. Michelin Customer Service says the main difference between them is slight formulation changes in the rubber chemistry to accommodate the speed rating.

I've put about 3500 miles on the Pilots. Though being extra-load, I have found that I can run less air pressure than I did with the Bridgestones to get proper treadwear patterns. Between the lower air pressure and less-stiff sidewalls, the car goes bump, thump, bang and crash over pavement defects instead of BUMP, THUMP, BANG and CRASH! I can not tell any difference in fuel consumption. Handling and straight-ahead traction is tremendously improved; the Michelins just dig in and go whereas the Bridgestones would spin or step out.

Hope this helps you and everyone else asking about the Pilots.

Joe Camaro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts