Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which trans fluid should I use in my 2003 DTS? My owners manual says dextron 1111. Since fluids have been updated to today, what is best for my 2003? I'm not going to use synthetic. I'm doing a fluid routine fluid change. No trans issues.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,828 Posts
Our owner's manuals say DEXRON-III or a GM specification.

Just about ALL modern transmission fluid is synthetic or a blend. Tough stuff. Our cars were specified for DEXRON-III which was superseded by DEXRON-VI in 2006. Any name brand that meets GM specs is just fine. NO need to spend the extra bucks on boutique fluids. Clean the pan screens; the internal filter is changed only at total ovehaul, transmission fully disassembled.

From overhaul dry the transmission takes 15 quarts. Doing a total pumpout using the cooler discharge line into a bucket gets about 13 - 14 out, doing a pan drop and side tank drain gets about 11, simple pan drop gets about 7 or so.

Use the correct warm engine procedure for fill and level checks.

Many, many threads on this procedure in Deville, Seville, and Engines; Northstar.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
If your pan is metal then buy a couple of small magnets to put in there to catch any small metal particles that are floating around. I do this for the transmission and inside the engine if I have the pan off and I've even put some up in the valve train area of some of my vehicles.

Roy

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,828 Posts
Our 4T80E transmission pan already has a magnet to collect fine ferrous particles caused by normal wear.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,180 Posts
Every transmission pan I've ever pulled has had one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts