Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on fixing a timing slip problem on my 3.6L with 90k Miles. See my ongoing thread below. I have questions regarding which mfg product to go with. Autozone has a full replacement set which includes cam chains, upper and lower, pensioners and gears. I imagine the dealership will also have simular products and no doubt greater cost. Which product do you guys recommend and is replacing the cam gears over kill. On inspection of the cam gears they look fine. Any help is appreciated.

on going documented thread.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/204007-3-6l-possible-timing-chain-failure.html

Auto Zone Product Link
http://tinyurl.com/2ejc5wo

Actual Link
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Timing-Kit-component-Timing-Set/2005-Cadillac-CTS/_/N-jmlqeZ8znax?counter=0&itemIdentifier=964114_131209_2629_

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Unfortunately most of the Autozone stuff is from China.
Never buy name brand plumbing fixtures at a Big Box discount store; they are not as good as the stuff from the MFR's catalog; they are made to a contract price with substandard parts .

I'd suspect the same w/auto parts .

Maybe they look the same ; but it ain't necessarily so that they're made the same . :tisk:

OEM .

It's a crap invasion, Folks .

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After much research I decided to go with the Autozone Timing kit. It turns out the Timing Kit is made by Cloyes, and would seem is also the OEM mfg. I got the kit today and I'm really happy. It includes all chains, tensioners, tensioner gaskets, brackets and gears (not the cam shaft gears).

The parts look exactly like the originals and all have GM part numbers.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Nicely done.... Yet another "aftermarket" kit is not so aftermarket after all. So now we can live happily ever after. Ok ok, enough with the word after. lol

KOT

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Never buy name brand plumbing fixtures at a Big Box discount store; they are not as good as the stuff from the MFR's catalog; they are made to a contract price with substandard parts .

I'd suspect the same w/auto parts .

Maybe they look the same ; but it ain't necessarily so that they're made the same . :tisk:

OEM .

It's a crap invasion, Folks .
what are you talking about. when you go into autozone or any other local parts store, they normally offer you OEM parts and aftermarket parts. dont tell me that the autozone's in Tucson AZ and Galveston TX, Houston TX and every other place i have traveled are the only places that do that. granted there OEM parts are a bit more expensive but a little bit cheaper than the dealership, but there still OEM parts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the product comes in a duralast box, but it's pretty clear it's OEM. Check out the pics

as it comes in the box

side by side tensioner bracket

all new tensioners w/ gaskets

side by side gears, same part number etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
alconk