Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oem svc manual lists MANY operations for which a scan is needed, such as "PERFORM the RECALIBRATE ALL MOTORS command in instrument panel control module (IPM) SPECIAL FUNCTIONS using the SCAN TOOL". Im tracking down climate -control Air Mix Door problems in my 2000 DTS and the scan tool I purchased (because I assumed it would access individual control modules) only reads the error codes. Does anyone know which scan tools will go into the control modules for toggling functions on / off and viewing actual values?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Tech II $$$

Any other Scantool is a waste of money on these cars as the car's internal display will show you much more complete info than your average scan tool, which generally only reads OBDII codes. To manipulate and view values, you will need a Tech II Programmer.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... For 3,300 dollars i may pass on that one since it nearly matches the value of my Deville. Thanks anyway.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
Yep - The GM Tech-II is the ticket into the modules. Most other aftermarket scanners duplicate the functions already built into the car's DIC panel.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, thanks for the help with the valve lash adjustors SUBMARINER, I got the motor back in (from the top) and its running smooth, quiet and leak-free! now just fixing the little stuff

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
:highfive:............as Garfield once observed, "It's not the hills in life - it's the dips."

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Alas, its unfortunate that we drive GM...only in this department I hasten to add.. GM is the most stingy of the big 3 when it comes to allowing scantools BI Directionality with other than PCM. Both the Snapon and OTC Genisys allow many module access and testing but up to a point. They are miles ahead of the onboard display as they can read the datastream from all modules as well as allow you to control them and they are both much cheaper than a TECH2. Both will also allow you to do more than GM, in fact Ford and Chrysler, Honda and Toyota to a lesser extent allow for just about any bi directional test you need and you could use them as the 'factory scantool' All that would be required is a passthrough such as A CarDaq to flash the modules. Forget anything before 96 as GM did not allow any Bidirectional tests, you needed the TECH1 or 2 for that.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
That OTC Genisys is a pretty cool machine, they have color displays available as well.

They're still expensive, but being that they are universally compatible with other vehicles and not just GM they'll serve a purpose for years to come.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Its funny but the color display on the Genisys is really a gimmick, it does not enhance anything at all. As for it being expensive, usually around Christmas, the Tool Warehouses are getting rid of their older stock and you can pickup one fully loaded with cables for about $990, in fact it would probably come with the free upgrade for Domestic and Asian which would be available in June of the following year, USA Warehouse and NTX warehouse are both a case in point as they do this, my brothers both got theirs for 990 each last Christmas and they are the full featured models, only with 2007 software. The only knock against Genisys other than the GM stingyness (given that OTC owns Vetronix the original owner of TECH2) is that you must use a authourized dealer for your smart cards otherwise the used ones will pin to the machine and you cannot load it to another. The great thing about Genisys, is for us Caddy owners, you can do the full monty with the EBTCM and ABS, all the same tests are there and you can narrow your problem down the same as Tech2.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Its funny but the color display on the Genisys is really a gimmick, it does not enhance anything at all. As for it being expensive, usually around Christmas, the Tool Warehouses are getting rid of their older stock and you can pickup one fully loaded with cables for about $990, in fact it would probably come with the free upgrade for Domestic and Asian which would be available in June of the following year, USA Warehouse and NTX warehouse are both a case in point as they do this, my brothers both got theirs for 990 each last Christmas and they are the full featured models, only with 2007 software. The only knock against Genisys other than the GM stingyness (given that OTC owns Vetronix the original owner of TECH2) is that you must use a authourized dealer for your smart cards otherwise the used ones will pin to the machine and you cannot load it to another. The great thing about Genisys, is for us Caddy owners, you can do the full monty with the EBTCM and ABS, all the same tests are there and you can narrow your problem down the same as Tech2.
Yea I figured the color display was probably a gimmick. But even then it's easier on the eyes than the ancient blue and white LCD on the Tech II. I imagine however that for specialty functions like changing the driver names on the IPC or re-coding GM radios to accept a new VIN you pretty much have to have the Tech II.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
No Genisys will do that as well, it will reflash and reconfigure Radios, You must buy another module for it, The GM SPS software and passthrough kit, its expensive and will probably not be used any more , as everyone has gone to CarDaq and Mongoose, the kit costs about 800 dollars and it will come with a years subscription to GM. The Tech2 does not come complete either, by the way I am not knocking the TECH2 at all, its a great tool, but you need the CANDI module to read CAN, even a Cheapie PEPBoys scantool will do that, as well you will still need the same subscription that OTC Genisys users have to get. If a dealership, I don't think any of this comes into play other than a one time yearly fee for all techs in the shop. One good thing about the EPA forcing Cardealers to make available the Techdata is that all folks now have access as long as you have the right tool, Chrysler and Ford will only charge a fee per use, around 9 dollars, GM has several plans, in my opinion its more than worth it to get the latest flash

1 - 11 of 11 Posts