Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Alan,
Note when the vehicle is in IDLE all the ports are ON.
In this state the key is ON, Engine is ON.

When the Vehicle is OFF, stopped, engine off and parked.
the ports in the 3rd row seat and the rear cargo area are ALWAYS ON.
I learned this the hard way as my battery died while away on a South American trip to Brazil for 3 weeks.
The ports in the first two rows go off when the engine is off or shortly thereafter (RP). They are either controlled by the key ON or Retained Power for up to 10 minutes or until the driver's door opens.
George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need a port to charge my Ipad, are you guys saying that the only way to do this is to plug it into the third row ?

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
zerdian1 said:
Alan, Note when the vehicle is in IDLE all the ports are ON. In this state the key is ON, Engine is ON. When the Vehicle is OFF, stopped, engine off and parked. the ports in the 3rd row seat and the rear cargo area are ALWAYS ON. I learned this the hard way as my battery died while away on a South American trip to Brazil for 3 weeks. The ports in the first two rows go off when the engine is off or shortly thereafter (RP). They are either controlled by the key ON or Retained Power for up to 10 minutes or until the driver's door opens. George

So why is it you think your battery died . Did you have something plugged in the third row outlet? Or it being constantly on drained the battery ?

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
I had my handicapped scooter batter charger in and the battery was charged.
but I did not know that the charger cycles every few hours and draws current.
I had two batteries on chargers and plugged one into the 110 plug behind the console in the second row.
this was off when the key was off.

the other battery charger was into an inverter plugged into the power outlet that was in the cargo area and it came on and off every few hours and ran down the battery.
the car was so dead that the cadillac road service could not jump it to get it started.
we had to push it out of the garage and then Cadillac could winch it onto the flatbed outside the garage.

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
Oh I see I always leave my truck in the airport when I go away didn't want to come back to a dead battery at 10:pm imagine that!!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If I had been thinking, I would have unplugged everything.
Always the best thing to do.
But we had a family medical emergency in Brazil that we were scrambling in Florida to get tickets to Brazil.
It is generally a 24 hour journey from door to door to get to our Brazil condo from our Florida condo.
if you buy your tickets less than 60 days in advance you pay a heavy premium of over 150% over the regular ticket prices.
~$6000 Business Class tickets cost ~$16000.
I did think that with our new car only 3 months old would be risky parking in Miami airport for 3 weeks or longer.
We took a Taxi instead.
Both of our new Cars was parked in our underground parking so it was secure and I never had time to check what was plugged in.
I usually unplug TV's, Toasters, my Espresso Machine and tea pots in the house before we leave. I did at least do that.
I left the TiVos and Internet plugged in.
I was able to enjoy American shows while in Brazil streamed or downloaded to my iPad and iPhone.
In the past I had Dish Hopper with Sling which I could also watch in Brazil, but it was a lot more flaky than My TiVo Stream setup.
My Netflix I was able to get on my Mac Book Pro and mirror it to our HDTV.
Netflix is one of the only services that work in Brazil.
Hulu, HBOGO, all the American TV and Cable channels and my XFinity did not work in Brazil.
they Might work if you had a good proxy that shielded your location that currently worked, but most only work temporarily, if at all.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The third row and the cargo area power outlets are always ON.
the first and second row power outlets will go OFF.
The center console power outlets stay ON under retained power for up to 10 minutes or until the driver's door is opened after the engine is OFF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts