Which would you choose in this class

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger son will be 17 in January, this means he will be able to drive, a pal fo mine is a driving instructor, and he has seen my son drive and thinks he will pass his test with minimal lessons required. If this is so I want to get him a car for passing his driving test, when he actually does.

I am looking at a few small cars, with 1.6 litre engines, and I'm considering an Alfa Romeo 147, new. I have designed one in the car configurator on their website, and I have put minimal options on the base model 147.

Other options are the Vauxhall Astra, the Ford Focus, the VW Golf, the Renault Megane and the Citroen C4.

Alot of the guys on this forum are younger than me, so if you were 17 what would you choose?

Vauxhall Astra:

Ford Focus:

VW Golf:

Renault Megane:

Citroen C4:

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Get the Vauxhall; there's nothing like a good domestic/GM car:sneaky:. My next choice would be the Golf, but my grandmother has one (a GTI model) and she's had loads of wierd problems (like the window falling out, some electrical problems, etc...). It's neat, but I'd just go with the Vauxhall if I were you...

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Well, I don't know much about any of those cars and I'm just a few years behind you Mac so I don't know if my vote counts but I think I like the looks of the VW best. Second in looks for me would be the Renault.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the Vauxhall too, but I'm a Vauxhall man myself, ive owned them for years, and they neever let me down, the only worry is, that the Astra five door seems "vannish" compared to the rest of them, hardly "cool" for a 17 year old.
There is a three door model, but it has to be a sportier sppecification to get that.
SXi (just a 1.4/1.6 with a spoiler and some wheels)
SRi (performance model, mid range 2.0 and 2.2 engines)
VXR (balls out 240hp model)
Im thinking about an "SXi" because it has a sportier bodyshell, and he would like it more

The Golf is also the one i would choose, but the Alfa is, IMO the hottest one there in basic form

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
The SXi is by far the best looking, IMO...

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fast66 said:
drove a golf once and loved it,
I also drove a a fox and loved that too. great cars
Apparently they offer the Fox in the UK, i can say ive never seen one, we do get thwe Polo though.

I want my son in a mid sector car like one of these because of the safety issue, there are too many idiots on the roads now.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HotRodSaint said:
Why are you limiting the choice to 1.6L? Is there a tax advantage? :hmm:
Or are you trying to slow him down? :)
Slow him down mainly :hide: ,tax here is now emmisions based, but it will also be cheaper to insure.

1.6 is a good size for this size of car, 1.8 engines are a little too quick for a learner or newly passed driver IMO, most kids end up with 1.0 or 1.2 engined cars so he daresnt complain :bouncy:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha he isnt going anywhere near something that small with an engine that size

The Alfa as far as i can tell is the nicest looking, and is the nicest to drive, im unsure of reliability, he wantzs to pay for any servicing etc himself, so it may get pricey, there is of course the BMW 116i...

THere are a few factors stopping this one, it is a higher price, its RWD and its not as good as some of the others, my PA has one (or i do technically since i paid for it) as a company car and i dont like it much.

Also my son doesnt think much of BMWs

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fast66 said:
never knew bmw came out with a 1 series
Yup

Last year

Not on sale in the US (yet) and is getting a good writeup, but its the entry level one, so all the *******s will buy it

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
I picked the Vauxhall but I'd just go with an Eldorado:sneaky: :D

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, ive decided to save him from a left hand drive car for the time being until hes more experienced, and im buying new aswell :D

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
In my opinion, they're all ugly as sin!:hmm: But if I MUST pick one, it'd be the Golf.

The Renault looks "awkward" (for lack of a better word:lildevil: )

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If i was buying it for me, my sensible side says the Golf, and my crotch says the Alfa Romeo. A car that will get him laid i should imagine

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Well, I think you should buy him a 67 Camaro with a SBC and 4 speed and teach him how to drive like a real man! :suspense:

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I think those pictured car are all as ugly as a wart on a 100 year old woman's rear end!

Get him a Jeep Cherokee.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts