Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I recently purchased a 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood 4.1L V8 and was wondering if there is a specific oil I should use with this
vehicle? The Dip stick says to use "sf engine oil M" . I know Sf rated oil is obsolete but not sure what to use instead.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Any brand and type that you'd like, as long as it's the correct viscosity.

Btw, :welcome:

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I think your owners manual would recommend 10W-30. 5W-30 is acceptable, it's just slightly thinner before the engine gets up to temp.

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: which oil should i use

thank you, that's been my problem, I bought the car and there was no owners manual with it.

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

seems like 10w-30 is the consensus, also givemethedamnmanual doesn't have them online as they have been removed due to copyright. Thank you for your input

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts

HI, I recently purchased a 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood 4.1L V8 and was wondering if there is a specific oil I should use with this
vehicle? The Dip stick says to use "sf engine oil M" . I know Sf rated oil is obsolete but not sure what to use instead.
While SF is obsolete - and had a higher anti-scuff additive package than "modern" oils, if your engine has a flat tappet cam, you still need some elevated additive protection.

Any of the 10W-30 "high mileage" or HD oils in a synthetic, blend, or conventional spec would be just fine.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, an engine oil that is also rated for diesel duty is perfectly fine for gasoline engine duty.

For your engine, try to avoid oils with the "starburst" on the label - energy conserving.

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/mom_guide_english_2013.pdf

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,726 Posts
They've all (not racing) decreased in ZDDP since then, even the mighty Rotella T6 with the new emission regs on diesels. However, Rotella T5 and T6 continue to be GREAT oils for classic flat tappet gas cars. I use both, and top up with a 1/4 bottle of Zinc Plus.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
979 Posts
Thanks for the oil info. This old dude spent a half hour shopping for oil recently. That's like Woman type shopping.

I like to get in, pick the stuff up and make tracks in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V Sedan & 2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV
97 Posts
My 83 Coupe deVille has around 41700 miles. Was wondering, has anyone ever converted to a synthetic oil in the HT4100?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,726 Posts
Yes. Drain old oil, put synthetic in it. Don't believe any internet myths that you can't switch or that it will cause leaks. If it leaks with the new oil, the leak was already there.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,796 Posts
Yes. Drain old oil, put synthetic in it. Don't believe any internet myths that you can't switch or that it will cause leaks. If it leaks with the new oil, the leak was already there.
JOS, maybe sometime we should compile a list of the various "myths" about oil, gas, coolant, etc. Til the day she died my mother always believed that putting high octane gas in her car gave her more horsepower. No amount of showing her the owner's manual would change her mind.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham
73 Posts
Don't believe any internet myths that you can't switch or that it will cause leaks. If it leaks with the new oil, the leak was already there.
Ditto this. And it's almost always something simple or stupid easy to fix like valve covers, and people would rather complain about "new leaks" when they were always there.

·
Registered
96 ETC 03 DTS, 77,81,83,89,91 Devilles, 79,82,91,92 Brougham
153 Posts
Great thread and I am glad its alive again! I have a 83 Deville HT4100 with 78xxx Acquired around 75k over a year ago. From research on this or a similar thread, I made the decision to go Rotella 15/40 for its additives as well as viscosity for this engine. In my run of the mill v8 305 Parisienne, 351 Lincoln, and 425 Deville 10/40 high mileage is fine BUT the 4.1 cadillac needs all the lower end lubrication it can get. I would not normally go with diesel oil but being THIS of all engines I donwant the main bearing thump they were famous for. I hate to jinx myself but any already healthy ht4100 just needs fresh coolant, pellet additive, diesel oil, and the factory cat replaced with a more free flow one and you can drive it like you stole it and it will take a beating. Mine sits a lot but when it is ran it goes the mile on longer distant warm weather trips with a/c on and gets good mileage. Just dont try to pass anyone on a hill LOL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts