Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and came up empty. Choices are PF52, PF61, PF61E, PF61F. For 2008.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Wix 51522

Your 1997 is not a late model "DTS". Otherwise, please check the filter manufacturer's application sheets for a ??? 2008.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Pretty sure all of the PF61's fit. Difference is probably some slight modification.
Not sure about the 52, but it might be a predecessor.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Minor internal differences in 61 models like anti drain back but they all fit N*, the 52 is not listed as fitting N*. I see it for LT1, some 3.8 maybe. You'd have to check threads, gasket size and outside dimensions before using.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
1969byrdman said:
I'm with Sub on this one. Wix. AC Delco is fine. I avoid Fram.
Different engine I know, but last time I used a wix and noticed that my acdelco filter has more holes on the top of the filter for more efficient oil flow. I'll probably always use acd in the future

·
Administrator
68,458 Posts
The tapping plate holes have very little to do with oil flow - the weave and amount of filter media is the main restriction there.

The WIX 51522 for the Northstar actually has larger inlet holes than most other like filters. The HD Fram next to it is used on the Olds 455 marine engine adapters. In the first link, compare the number and size of the tapping plate holes in the WIX and 2008 Ecore (AC Delco) pictures. About the same inlet area, no ???

Do some study ...................

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Submariner409 said:
The tapping plate holes have very little to do with oil flow - the weave and amount of filter media is the main restriction there. The WIX 51522 for the Northstar actually has larger inlet holes than most other like filters. The HD Fram next to it is used on the Olds 455 marine engine adapters. In the first link, compare the number and size of the tapping plate holes in the WIX and 2008 Ecore (AC Delco) pictures. About the same inlet area, no ??? Do some study ................... http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/ http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
Interesting. From a purely physical standpoint (internals aside) it seems more holes/ports would equal more flow

----------

Thanks for the links sub I definitely will

·
Administrator
68,458 Posts
Remember: Small holes present more flow restriction than large holes - turbulence. 8 small holes would probably present about the same flow volume as 6 larger ones. Look at some of the current Purolator filter tapping plates (store filter shelves) - they tend so use slightly oval holes.

·
Administrator
68,458 Posts
Nope. An engine oiling system is hydraulic - if the internal guts have the proper clearances oil pressure builds and flows - and the oil filter inlet holes are designed to pass a LOT more oil than necessary for an engine in good condition. Unles the engine is severely worn, oil pressure is determined by rpm, oil temperature (~190 - 215 is ideal), oil pressure relief spring, and the total of all internal lubricated bearings condition. Pressure and flow is lubrication (and cooling) - simple pressure is not.

Calculate the area of the inlet holes compared to the area of the center (outlet) threaded hole. Gonna be pretty close, regardless.

Oil pressure relief and bypass spring/plunger ....................... For most GM, about 55 - 60 psi.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts