Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick ? for everyone! I have a friend that has a Northstar from a `97 XXXX in the back of his Fiero (don't ask). How can we tell which North* it is? SLS or STS? Anyway from looking at the block!?

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
Mmmm, couldn't tell you. The SLS has 275 horse and the STS has 300 horse. If that is stamped somewhere, that could answer it but I don't know, maybe someone else will chime in on this one.

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille
228 Posts
zonie77 said:
In the vin is a Y or (. Forget exactly which space...like 8th or 9th), 9=300, Y=275.

Would be the 8th digit. Hopeully he has the Title from the doner car so as to get his hands on the VIN.

But, I am fairly certain that a number will be stamped on the block somewhere which can then be reference over one way or another. As to where or how, I do not know. I am sure someone does, though.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zonie77 said:
In the vin is a Y or (. Forget exactly which space...like 8th or 9th), 9=300, Y=275.
If we knew that, we wouldn't be asking this question! :) ha ha...

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Well, I don't know either . . . . but judging from previous posts, I shouldn't let that stop me. :canttalk: :worship:

There is a "VIN Derivative" number on the end of the rear cam cover on the accessory side of the engine. It is a condensed version of the vehicle's VIN number which, unfortunately, does NOT contain the critical 8th digit. Perhaps a dealer might be able to interpret that number for you?

The 275hp "Y" series engine has a Viscous Converter Clutch and a 3.11:1 Final Drive Ratio; the 300hp "9" series engine has a Torque Convert Clutch and a 3.71:1 Final Drive Ratio.

If you can come up with a clever way to tell what your FDR is and/or whether you have a VCC or TCC you'll have your answer.

Let's hope someone else has a better answer. :suspense:

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Goobz! said:
If we knew that, we wouldn't be asking this question! :) ha ha...

Well..what do you want to know? Is there a Y or a 9 in the VIN, not counting the serial number?

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS
68 Posts
WarrenJ said:
Pay attention. He doesn't HAVE the VIN number . . . . . :suspense:
Mabey not. But they are saying that part of the original VIN# may be stamped into the block or heads somewhere, or he may find "L37" stamped on the engine somewhere. :yup:

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
deabionni said:
I'm a member of Pennock's Fiero Forum and we have a few active members that are running N* powered Fiero's.

Here's an older thread on that forum that may help you identify which engine he has.

There's also a member on the forum that goes by the name of Madcurl, and I thought you might like to see his N* powered Fiero.
I've known Curly and Keith (FieroDoc - who was the 1st North* swap done). That was the show that I put on in Vegas at the IP! Couldn't miss me! I drove the Grey F-250 parked in the corner that was the beer stop - hence the PFF name FordsNeverDie! :)

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
deabionni said:
. . . . But they are saying that part of the original VIN# may be stamped into the block or heads somewhere . . . . :yup:
Yes, and in post #6 I identified the location of that "partial" VIN number (aka "Derirvative" VIN #). ;)

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing the approximate difference in weight between the Fiero and N* drivetrains. Anyone know?

A generation ago I dropped a 283 c.i. small block into an MGB. It had 327 fuelly heads, a Rochester four barrel, a Chrysler Torqueflight tranny, headers and dual Hemi exhausts. It was VERY good at going straight. I NEVER slalommed (SP?) it, but why would I have?

The weight difference between the original power plant and its replacement wasn't that great.

I, too, am left to wonder how that Fiero handles.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,720 Posts
The vin is located on the engine block, between the timing chain cover, and #1 cylinder. Next to the CV joint on the pass. side. I've seen it stamped into a cast boss on the block, or a riveted plate.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS
68 Posts
Goobz! said:
I've known Curly and Keith (FieroDoc - who was the 1st North* swap done). That was the show that I put on in Vegas at the IP! Couldn't miss me! I drove the Grey F-250 parked in the corner that was the beer stop - hence the PFF name FordsNeverDie! :)
OMG! You're FordsNeverDie??? I love your sig on PFF! I even printed it out one time, so I could show it to my fiancee. :D

From what I understand, a fully dressed N* weighs 85 pounds more than a stock fully dressed 2.8 V6. The stock Fiero corners like it's on rails, so I couldn't imagine that the additional 85 pounds would make much of a diffrence in the way the Fiero would handle after a N* conversion. If I can find a thread or two on the subject, I'll be more than happy to supply a link. :)

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
I never gave a moment's thought to owning a Fiero.... until I saw those pictures of the Fiero with the Northstar in it.....

Nice...... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts