Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Which Mistake Should I Make?

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Aussie79Limo 
#1 ·
There are two cars that have been bothering me. I am hoping both sell because I do not have the room or time for either one.
However, as you all know, when has that ever stopped us, right?:banghead:

The first one would end up being a replacement for my 87 Guido.
I hate to do that because it is such a great running and driving car. At first I thought of swapping interiors, but hate the idea of devaluing a great car even further by putting my interior in it.
I would basically be condemning it to death, I'm afraid.:tisk:

I would have to rebuild the transmission because I just am not the "swap a used" king of guy.
Other considerations are, a dent in Guido's front fender, and many bad paint spots. Needs a complete repaint with bodywork, and a vinyl top replacement. Also front and rear seat re-skins if I want it right, which I probably would. so quite a bit of money to spend on a 115,000 mile car.:nono:

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5013014471.html

The second one is really in my wheelhouse...custom 69 Eldorado del Caballero....with a sunroof! Friends of mine know well my love of pimp-mobiles and one done originally by Barris, well, that is just too cool.:cloud9:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4998271936.html

I would love to look at both but one is in Joliet IL which is a bit of a hike. The 86 is in a town close to me. Normally not a big deal, but with less than a week to move mom, it is major now.

Assuming both cars are as they seem in photos, unlikely as we all know that is, which mistake should I make? :noidea:

Input? :hmm:

See less See more
#3 ·
I just got off the phone with the guy selling the 69.
No...I didn't just call him at 1:30 AM!
I texted that I was in Madison WI and how hard it was to come to Joliet IL to look at a car and begged he tell me what is all wrong with it. He called me and said other than the compressor mentioned in the ad, some rust is appearing around the bottom of the rear window, no surprise, and otherwise it runs and drives nice, all accessories work.
It is on Chicago Craigslist, but I always have a hard time finding it. I have to search for "sunroof Cadillac" never find it if I go Cadillac or Eldorado. That, and the fact he works odd hours might be why it is still for sale after two weeks of listing it. (That, worried me!)
I told him I would call Sun night and make sure it was still avalible, and hopefully find someone to go down with me Mon afternoon to look at it.

So...I am leaning that way right now!

#16 ·
Well I went Sat and looked at the 1986.

It reappeared this week with the transmission fixed and listed for $3500.
Figured it might still be worth it if it was nice.

66,000 original miles? If so they were put on by 6 people taking a 66,000 mile road trip the first month of ownership, followed by 29 years of being parked in the FL sun.:ack:

#20 ·
He is running so nice I hated to replace him, even with a car with half the miles.
Also has very good get-up-and-go for a 307 and would hate to find myself in a doggie one.
The Eldo was cool and if it were local I would no doubt been stupid enough to buy it.
My Vacation is coming up and I will be going to MI soon, perhaps there is a good survivor there I will have to pick up!

#21 · (Edited)
Does it have to be a Cadillac? I've a nice 1978 Lincoln Town Coupe in a custom maroon with similar interior and white landau roof, it's lovely and I'll see it in person in November, but if you'd like a car like that without having to spend cash worrying about faults, she's available.

I see you're in Wisconsin, my Lincolns are in Menasha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.